What kinda of speed do you guys reach ?

hey
my best speed so far is 72.6km on road
im damn sure i bettered it a little while ago but i didnt have a speedo on the bike so i dont know what the speed was.. the bike started to vibrate badly anyway (desperatly need new one)

My record is 98.1 km/h (61.0mph), that was going downhill (asphalt)on a Marin Bobcat trail with standard tires. I think with my road bike that could be higher, I did a route in the Marin that I regularly do on the road bike and I've reached 82km/h, with the Mountain bike I only got to 64km/h.
On that hill I regularly go around 80-90 km/h, the hard part is climbing it and it's only about 400-500m (a little more than a 1/4mile).

~60kph going down a narrow (around 1m wide) twisting trail in East Gippsland. Trail was very rocky and bumpy, and coming off would sure not have been fun, but damn it was exhilarating.

~70kph was the max I hit on an 18k downhill run on a gravel road, again East Gippsland.

~85kph down a hill near my house (tarmac).

Fast I have ever driven would be about 100-110kph, on account of having a learner driver's permit and thus having to drive with my parents in the car :(

You guys are doing good. I have been living in the very flat Cambridge (UK) and get 40 mph on the flat on my Marin Palisades Trail. Though not bad with my dodgy half re-built knee!

You guys really know how to make someone feel pathetic!!!!!

I think the best I've done was 20mph, and that was on a hill(short hill, but still a hill):eek: :confused: :eek:

Top ive done is 120 km/h (74 Mph).

Me and a few mates spend 5 days modifying a downhill frame to fit a motor cross rear spring and a triple clamp fork

The trail was near the snowy mountains, a crazy decent that none of my other mates were willing to try. I had my doubts at first, but gave it a go, after traveling along a ridge for about 10 min at 30 km/h you reach the end... a 50 meter drop off which didnt look big at the base, but when the front wheel left the ledge i sure as hell felt my stomich fly into my brain. After a good few seconds of freefall the bike hit the ground and bounced about 5 meters back into the air.

Before i got to the bottom of the track i had been clocked at 120 km/h

Cirtainly something i will never forget, but something i very much doubt ill ever do again

The fastest i have gone is onmy piece of **** walmart bike doing 48mph down a hill going towards my house

Originally posted by Jimmer
Top speed ever was 54.8 mph ~88.17 kmh (according to my speedo) down an insanely steep, 3 foot wide single track with a rain rut down the middle. The reason? I forgot to re-attach the brakes after I put the wheels on at the beginning of the trail.
...And yeah, it scared the hell outta me!!

SMOOTH:D

"cliffcrazychris" you said 120 Km/h ??????????
That's insanely fast and with a mountain bike too.....

Dan

My top speed is around 45-48mph, but its very rare for me to do that sort of speed.

I can get up to about 30mph on flat tarmac quite easily, a bit more if i push it.

I usually average around 26 - 27mph when riding normally on flat tarmac.

Is that good for a short 15 year old ??
:)

steve.moody said:

My top speed is around 45-48mph, but its very rare for me to do that sort of speed.

I can get up to about 30mph on flat tarmac quite easily, a bit more if i push it.

I usually average around 26 - 27mph when riding normally on flat tarmac.

Is that good for a short 15 year old ??
:)

You better believe it ! :)
Dan

Ok! Last night I made it up to 40k on a flat section on my 39 lb mountain bike! Is that good?

meh, 32.5 mph on a slightly uphill stretch on full suspension mountain bike. i held it for quite a while until i started to slip out. i gotta get a speedometer though bc its been a year since then and i am a lot stronger...not fast but im only 16

*edit* how old are all you guys

I'm glad to see other people out there like flying on their mountainbikes, usually when I tell people that I hit 70kmh everyday on my commute home (downhill on the road) they look at me like I'm insane. My max to date is 75kmh, but I'm looking for a bigger crankset that fits my bike to go faster, because when I am spinning my 44 tooth XT crankset as hard and fast as I can to try and go 1 more kmh faster it wobbles too much. Any help with this would be great, by the way I have a 73mm bottom bracket, which has shut me out of a few options. Oh, and for the one that asked about age, I'm 26 and I know I should be able to go faster but I'm 5'10 @ 220 pounds and I average 21kmh over the 215km I ride a week.

If anyone can help me with the crankset problem (I am looking for a triple set but I will install a double if I have to) you can email me at [email protected] I am really trying to find something in the range of 52-42-32 but anything at or above 50 with a 73mm bottom bracket is good.

Thanks in advance!

The Barron

The fastest I've been able to ride is 72.4 kmph or 45 per hour. I'm positive that I'd be able to go much much faster because I ride fire roads on the way to work and I max out my bike in the first quarter mile or o.4 km and have over 2.9 miles or 4 km of hill left. If you want a kung-foo grip on fire roads, use WTB Velociraptors front and rear. They are even pretty fast on blacktop and have great grip even on concrete.