What lubricant for front fork

gt3413

Apr 28, 2006
My 2006 GT avalance 2.0 disc had a Omega RST t6 front shock. Its getting kind of gummy so I was considering wiping of whatever is on their now and re-lubricating it. Please give me an idea of what I should use for the re-lube. I just bought some boeshield t-9 lubricant and protectant today. Would it be appropriate? Thanks, Greg

I got shock rebuild instructions for my Manitou Axels from the Answer website. Have you tried to get info from your fork maker's site?

Get the service instructions so you can give them an overhaul but 2-3 drops of teflon-base lube is quite alright (Finish Dry works) Apply about 2cm above your seals and then cycle the fork throught its travel a few times. But if you say its getting "gummy", have someone check it out.

I have a problem with front fork lubes, wondering if anyone can help...?
Lost the grease nippple from my manitou shocks and don't know where to get a new one from! really hard to find!

try wd-40

today after school my friend came over to my house with a costco bike and said the front fork was jammed and wouldnt move.
so i sprayed wd-40 and it works now

WD-40 is good for cleaning things but try to used a proper bicycle lubricant...especially for forks. Teflon-based is the best as it is dry and dirt will not gather around the seals/stancheons. NEVER use WD-40 around your brakes.

rogdodge said:
I have a problem with front fork lubes, wondering if anyone can help...?
Lost the grease nippple from my manitou shocks and don't know where to get a new one from! really hard to find!
Are you sure it's a special one rather than a standard Zerk fitting?

garage sale GT said:
Are you sure it's a special one rather than a standard Zerk fitting?
I think hes refering to the special "Microlube port" that sits below the reverse arch...am I right?

Cheers

gt3413 said:
My 2006 GT avalance 2.0 disc had a Omega RST t6 front shock. Its getting kind of gummy so I was considering wiping of whatever is on their now and re-lubricating it. Please give me an idea of what I should use for the re-lube. I just bought some boeshield t-9 lubricant and protectant today. Would it be appropriate? Thanks, Greg
ENGLUND'S SLICK HONEY ...

SLICK HONEY was once the "best" lube for forks to mitigate stiction ... maybe, it still is ...

You can make some home-brewed (so to speak) SLICK HONEY by mixing some motor oil & vaseline ... as the name may suggest, the consistency of SLICK HONEY at room temperature is close to that of real honey (also, at room temperature). Just put a sizeable dab of Vaseline (generic is fine!) in a small container, and add the motor oil a few drops at a time until the desired consistency is achieved.

True! Oh so true. I use Teflon not for stiction but for general lubrication.

And in reference to Drift Drift and Drift...

Like this! ;)
PB020017.jpg