What made the last big bike boom? The next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Bernie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> I rode as a kid, and I hear you loud and clear. Young adults and kids today
are
> in the majority not into bicycling like kids were 40 or 50 years ago.

...or even 25 years ago. We all rode bikes when I was a kid, and I'm not *that* old.

At least in the town where I'm from, the death knell came some time in the mid-80s. At some point,
kids decided riding to school just wasn't "cool," and they didn't want to be seen doing it anymore.

Matt O.

"Mitch Haley" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Tim Jones wrote:

> > Of course education and instruction will always have more impact than just wearing a helmet.
>
> 'tis far better to prevent a crash than to try to reduce it's effects. I just can't figure out why
> Good Housekeeping magazine thinks the children of safety conscious parents will somehow become
> more safe if they move to a state which mandates helmets when the parents can already mandate the
> things wherever they live. Parenting begins in the home, not the legislature.

Good Housekeeping ought to look at which states implement bike safety programs schools, like we
used to have.

I've never seen a study on this, but I bet it helps make these kids better drivers too.

Matt O.

"Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>If there is to be another bike boom among the general public, it will likely be driven by some
>sort of hybrid bike that's easy to ride, comfortable, inexpensive, and can be ridden in
>ordinary clothes.

Wow, like an old Columbia three speed?

I think that you are correct. Those bikes are imported to the U.S. now, but are very expensive
considering the componentry.

It'll take a brave manufacturer, and brave dealers to offer the lower end European style roadsters
and "trekking" bikes in the U.S.. Trek, Fuji, and Giant all have these models, but haven't wanted to
try selling them in the U.S.. Trek is trying with their higher end models for 2004, but almost no
dealers are carrying them, so they're are likely to fail and conclude that there is no market.

Until they become mainstream, they'll command very high prices and won't be adopted.

Originally posted by Tim Jones
"Paul Floyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:35:16 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
wrote:
> >
> > Well, I drive what gets sold in the US as an Isuzu Amigo. I don't know whether you would count
> > it as an SUV, although it is by UK standards. I drive it mainly for pulling large boats around
> > and for forestry work. It has a two litre four cylinder petrol engine and does better than 35
> > MPG on road. Living where I live (remote rural area) and doing what I do (among other things,
> > secretary of a forestry charity) it seems a reasonable choice of vehicle, and I don't see it as
> > 'silly' at all.
>
> The 'silly' users are the ones that live somewhere like Reading, and use them for taking the kids
> to school (1 mile) and shopping at Tescos - we all know you need to engage 4 wheel drive to get
> into a car park.
>

This is a huge reason for SUVs here in Australia - mums buying them around my area not because of
any incling of using them offroad, but because of the better view of the road ahead. And because so
many of them are around the area, it makes regular car travel more difficult to see ahead, leading
to more people wanting an SUV (my wife included, who would use it to go to the supermarket and drop
the kids at school).

Tim

Isn't that the truth! I have many more near misses in my sports car than my full size truck. People just don't see small cars anymore.

Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:14:59 GMT, Buck:
>I personally hate living in the city.

There are other options than the classis "city" (with very high concrete buildings, no trees, wide
streets) or boring standard amercan "suburbs". New quarters here in southern germany are often
planned to have buidings with 3 to 5 floors, narrow roads, lots of shops, restaurants and small
business on the ground floor, trees along the road, nice designed open courtyards maintained by the
occupants but open to the public. Car parking is not allowed on the roadside but only in central
parking garages. This makes shure, that the way to your bike (every building has to have a big bike
shed/room) or the bus stop is always nearer than the way to your car.

>Being stacked on top of one-another, having to listen to the neighbors arguing or playing the
>stereo too loud, having to be extra conscientious about the noise I am producing, having to deal
>with other people every time

This IS a problem.

>I step outside of my door, not being able to grow my own flowers and vegetables, not being able to
>look out my window and watch the squirrels run along the fence or the birds flying between the
>trees, not being able to watch the trees sway in the wind or the leaves change colors in the fall,

This is possible here.

>having miles and miles of roads that are pleasant to ride on because they are lined with trees
>(think shade)

It is not neccessary to ride "miles and miles" because the city is designed to have (nearly)
everything available in a short distance.

> and have low speed limits....

30km/h is the speed limit in the quarter here - but you often have to be slower.

> There is a lot to be said about the advantages of suburbia over the city. Too often we focus on
> the problems of suburbia and forget why people want to live there in the first place.

There might be alternatives which could also appeal to people in the US.

Andreas

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

>Isn't that the truth! I have many more near misses in my sports car than my full size truck. People
>just don't see small cars anymore.

If they can't see your car, then they are blind and/or not looking carefully.

-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

"Andreas Oehler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:14:59 GMT, Buck:
> >I personally hate living in the city.
>
> There are other options than the classis "city" (with very high concrete buildings, no trees, wide
> streets) or boring standard amercan "suburbs". New quarters here in southern germany are often
> planned to have buidings with 3 to 5 floors, narrow roads, lots of shops, restaurants and small
> business on the ground floor, trees along the road, nice designed open courtyards maintained by
> the occupants but open to the public. Car parking is not allowed on the roadside but only in
> central parking garages. This makes shure, that the way to your bike (every building has to have a
> big bike shed/room) or the bus stop is always nearer than the way to your car.

Which places people back in the situation that I noted before - stacked together and unable to walk
outside without having to deal with other people.

> >I step outside of my door, not being able to grow my own flowers and vegetables, not being able
> >to look out my window and watch the squirrels
run
> >along the fence or the birds flying between the trees, not being able to watch the trees sway in
> >the wind or the leaves change colors in the fall,
>
> This is possible here.

Ah, the classic "community garden." I'd like to be able to grow my own veggies without having to
deal with other people taking them.

> >having miles and miles of roads that are pleasant to ride on because they are lined with trees
> >(think shade)
>
> It is not neccessary to ride "miles and miles" because the city is designed to have (nearly)
> everything available in a short distance.

You missed the point. Part of being an avid cyclist is the desire to ride miles and miles and having
nice roads upon which to ride. Riding in the city is a much different, and unpleasant, experience.

> > and have low speed limits....
>
> 30km/h is the speed limit in the quarter here - but you often have to be slower.

Again, part of the problem. I don't want to be stuck on crowded city streets. I want traffic moving
about the same speed I can move. It's safer overall. And a bonus in suburbia is the lack of
pedestrians (yes, it is sad that people aren't outside). I have had more close calls with wandering
pedestrians than I have had with cars. Take a ride on the streets of your local university campus to
get a taste of the problem.

> There might be alternatives which could also appeal to people in the US.

I think that much of the world recognizes the advantages of suburban life, thus their desire to
emulate it. Even in places where public transportation is well entrenched, the people are using the
commuter trains to move away from the city and into smaller suburban towns. There is less dependence
on private automobiles, but the sprawling condition is much the same.

-Buck

RE/
>At least in the town where I'm from, the death knell came some time in the mid-80s. At some point,
>kids decided riding to school just wasn't "cool," and they didn't want to be seen doing it anymore.

I grew up in a town near Philadelpha, PA called West Chester.

Rode to school every day. Rode just about all day every day in the summer trying to keep up with a
pack of my buds - one of town to the other - we were *everywhere*.

Now I live near that town and have occasion to go there from time-to-time.

My take is that on the roads in that town (and, in fact, on the roads around where I now live) the
kind of riding we did as kids would be an order of several magnitudes more dangerous...to the point
where my guess would be that at least one of us would've been killed doing the same stuff we did
then today.

Traffic is just not the same now....and getting worse by the year as far as I can see.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

RE/
>ying them around my area not because of any incling of using them offroad, but because of the
>better view of the road ahead.

Also, there's the ongoing headlight arms race: more headlights higher/brighter every year. It's
getting so you need welding glasses to drive at night in anything that's lower than a pickup truck.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

Yes, for example, my completely unscientific observations are that Volvo drivers to be amongst the
worst on record. My reasoning is that those who drive well, prefer to drive a car that handles well.
Those who don't, prefer a car that does well in crash tests.

Says pretty much all I have to say on the subject.

Rick

"Mitch Haley" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Tim Jones wrote:
> > Of course education and instruction will always have more impact than just wearing a helmet.
>
> 'tis far better to prevent a crash than to try to reduce it's effects. I just can't figure out why
> Good Housekeeping magazine thinks the children of safety conscious parents will somehow become
> more safe if they move to a state which mandates helmets when the parents can already mandate the
> things wherever they live. Parenting begins in the home, not the legislature. Mitch

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 03:38:10 +0000, Joseph Kubera wrote:

> Peter wrote,
>
>>>Maybe 4 bucks a gallon would do something....but I'd think it would have to
> be more like six or eight...
>
> I don't know. It's about $2.00 right now, and listen to all the *****ing and moaning.
>
> Joe
Heh, bet thay would **** a load if they knew what gas really cost in the US. A ton of "defense"
spending is used to secure oil and safe routes to ship it. I'm not even talking aobut Iraq.

"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:44:20 +0000, Jeff Potter wrote:
>
>> *US bicentennial, with its urge to 'ride across the country'
>
> I was there during the bicentennial, and do not recall such an urge being suggested.
>
I guess I must be the only other one on this newsgroup that remembers the Bikecentenial Trail. From
http://www.yale.edu/habitat/info/96/96.htm

"It was 1976 when the trans-continental Bikecentenial Trail was established to help celebrate the
States' 200th anniversarial gala. Thousands of cyclists made the trek that year from sea to
shining sea."

This Trail is etched in my mind because it runs past Blacksburg VA and while attending VA Tech I
trained many miles on that part of it.

ALF

Rick wrote:

> Yes, for example, my completely unscientific observations are that Volvo drivers to be amongst the
> worst on record. My reasoning is that those who drive well, prefer to drive a car that handles
> well. Those who don't, prefer a car that does well in crash tests.
>
> Says pretty much all I have to say on the subject.
>
> Rick
>
> "Mitch Haley" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>Tim Jones wrote:
>>
>>> Of course education and instruction will always have more impact than just wearing a helmet.
>>
>>'tis far better to prevent a crash than to try to reduce it's effects. I just can't figure out why
>>Good Housekeeping magazine thinks the children of safety conscious parents will somehow become
>>more safe if they move to a state which mandates helmets when the parents can already mandate the
>>things wherever they live. Parenting begins in the home, not the legislature. Mitch
>
>
The drivers of Ford Crown Victorias and the Mercury equivelants are the
worst> Those are huge, long and wide vehicles that are commonly driven
by the blue hair set. Their sole purpose is to be able to withstand crashes and impacts from
careless driving performed by those who shouldn't be on the road. The funny thing is, these are the
drivers who never seem to want to cross the center lane (when coast is clear) when passing cyclists.

Kerry "the hasty generalizer" Nikolaisen

Me. I started the "last Big Bike Boom" by smiling sweetly and waving as I rode smoothly on my way to
school past all the people waiting in city block long lines waiting for their weekly allotment
of [then] ridiculously overpriced gasoline.

They all got jealous of me. So they all went out and bought bicycles of their own!

May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris

Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> The Netherlands is a teeny place, still centered around small towns where people live, work
> and die.

Actually, in terms of land area and population density, the Netherlands is similar to NJ (as well,
both Holland and NJ have a large petrochemical industry).

The history of cycling in Holland is kind of interesting. Up until the 1970's, Holland had (by
today's standards) a relatively low mode share for bikes and was imitating the US with a huge amount
of highway construction (take a look at a map of Holland and you will see a very extensive autoroute
system). The reason we see this incredible cycling infrastructure there today (with very high bike
mode share) isn't really because "that's how its always been" but because the national government
made a radical change in its priorities and has devoted many hundreds of millions of dollars for
paths, secure bike parking, etc. As well, lots of money was spent on pedestrianization of town
centers and traffic calming. Of course, it also helps to have a progressive, environmentally-aware
populace which we just don't have in the US...

Eric S. Sande wrote:

>Bernie wrote:
>
>>Bicycles are powerful tools, a true extension of the human operator.
>>
>
>If you don't mind I am going to steal that quote.
>
I'm flattered!

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> RE/
> >ying them around my area not because of any incling of using them offroad, but because of
the
> >better view of the road ahead.
>
> Also, there's the ongoing headlight arms race: more headlights
higher/brighter
> every year. It's getting so you need welding glasses to drive at night in anything that's lower
> than a pickup truck.

Thankfully, that's one trend that hasn't hit the Australian market as yet.

Women are the main users of SUVs here - hoons (people who love muscle cars) tend to drive v8 sedans
and coups.

Tim

> -----------------------
> PeteCresswell

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

> What the guy actually said was "You are sooooo full of ****! Have you *ever* tried living where
> you always have to go everywhere by bicycle or bus?"

Yes.

I have local acquaintances who don't even bother to own bicycles because they can get everything
they need within a kilometer of home.

Oh, and while it is a pain to often not have a seat because there aren't really enough busses or
trains in Beijing ... I can get across town quicker in a bus than I can in a private vehicle because
of the dedicated bus lanes. AND THAT IS WITH THE BUS STOPPING EVERY FIVE MINUTES!!

-M

(Shijiazhuang, Hebei, People's Republic of China)

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 03:20:51 GMT, Kerry Nikolaisen <[email protected]> wrote:

>The drivers of Ford Crown Victorias and the Mercury equivelants are the
>worst> Those are huge, long and wide vehicles that are commonly driven
>by the blue hair set. Their sole purpose is to be able to withstand crashes and impacts from
>careless driving performed by those who shouldn't be on the road. The funny thing is, these are the
>drivers who never seem to want to cross the center lane (when coast is clear) when passing
>cyclists.
>
>Kerry "the hasty generalizer" Nikolaisen

The only Crown Vics I ever see 'round where i am are police cruisers (which always amused me;
hardly anyone but police forces buys them anymore, so 'unmarked' crown vics are always easily
spotted as cops)

The cops are always extremely nice to me when I'm on a bike.

Most harley riders I see 'round here are police, too. and they're really polite.

-Luigi

RE/
>my completely unscientific observations are that Volvo drivers to be amongst the worst on record.

You're cruising down the right lane of the AC Expressway at 70, closing on a line of cars, you dab
the cruise up to left lane speed, flip on the turn signal, ease out into the left lane
and.....OOPS!...somebody lurches out of the right lane at 67 mph.....you decellerate, they keep
going 67, left lane traffic piles up behind you, and now they're towing their own little traffic jam
behind them..

My experience: Volvos are involved at a higher percentage than one would otherwise expect.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

Status
Not open for further replies.