what made you start biking?

web143

Jun 3, 2012
I just started biking and love it!! Just would like to chit chat with people that share the same passion as me. I'd like to learn more about biking and the whole experience :)

Reactions: haleylx4
I think the bicycle I started riding on was a birthday present. I was four at the time and it was a used bicycle my Dad had cleaned-up and repainted red and white. It had solid (no inflation) 20 inch wheels [unusual even i the early 50's]. Of course the bicycle had training wheels.... and I don't recall them ever coming off the bike.

I loved my little bicycle and was assigned strict travel/distance limits. But was never to muster the self-control required to stay within the one block allotted. I still remember the joy of riding that little bicycle and the freedom of exploring the surrounding neighborhoods. My explorations was referred to as "running away" at the time and was cause for punishment in my household. Most of the time that little bicycle was mine... it was kept under lock and key (with my Mom controlling the key). A couple years or so later.... I had another bicycle.

Then in 1964 I got a Schwinn Varsity 10 speed. Back in those days that was called a racing bike. Although no one raced bicycles in the mid-west [that I I ever heard of] in the 60's. But it was that Schwinn 10 spd road bike that instilled a passion for cycling that has kept me coming back.

The twenty mile ride I went for this morning was as much fun as I remember cycling being when I was four years old. And as challenging as the "racing bike" was in my early teens.

I learned to ride on one of those big old heavy tank bikes with the horn button on the side. ( I know, dating myself) I thought my Grandfathers army hat had some kind of magic in it that allowed me to ride...hey, I was 5...LOL. I lost the hat and thought I wouldnt be able to ride...life lesson #1.

Ive ridden on and off my whole life (soon to be 49) and have been riding a cheap mountain bike out at the green way fairly regular up until 2 months ago when I found a 1970 schwinn continental at a Goodwill for $25. It had VERY little use and just needed tires and tubes and a good cleaning/lube and she was ready. It renewed my love for biking all over again. On April 22nd I weighed 230 lbs, Im happy to say Im 208 as of today.

Im planning on joining a cycling club and may get a better bike next spring and try some local racing.

When I was a child my father tried to teach us all how to bike in one summer. We are 5 bros and sis. Well, actually he wanted to teach the younger ones who didn't know yet. So, like that we started the lessons. Go, from the first day i felt down, for sure. And I even now fell with out a real notice. lol. I thought I will never learn. Of course, lots of jokes about my riding and my falling. But in the en I leant and I just kept doing it. I guess it was like a normal continuation. I even taught my younger sis. Becoming expert. :D

I love hearing all these stories! It just goes to show how something as simple as biking can last through out the years :) I know it has been a real stress reliever for me as my parents had gone through a divorce at Christmas and I just recently recovered from an eating disorder. Reading these comments have really been fun!

Biking started when I was 4 years old! I was amazed by the concept of a "bicycle", and my parents bought me one. I rode the bike a LOT, and by the time I outgrew it, that bike was so worn out it is not even funny /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif. I eventually got a Boulder SE for my birthday when I was 9 years old, and at that time it was WAY too big for me. Now it fits me perfectly and I use it all the time. I took really good care of it, and I am going to sell it to get a better bike.

My Giant Boulder is my profile pic to the left.

Adrenalin. :D

But after I fell from a 2m high ramp and broke my chest and some bones I stoped cycling for about 8 months while I was in recovery, and after that I didnt even think about it anymore. Years has passed and one day, I just sold my car. No special reason, I just wanted to sold him. I tested some bikes again, bought few... and when I found the right one, one that is for all kind of terain, well, I started to break bones again, but it's ok. I'll never quit again, combining it with hiking, and places I want to see... ouuu, no limits. :D

My grandfather was an avid amateur bicycle racer when I was a child. He helped me learn how to ride and purchased my first road bike for me when I was 14. We rode together until he passed away several years later. Now when I ride, each ride is dedicated to the old man. My father taught me how to work on machinery and not to be afraid of it. I enjoy wrenching almost as much as I enjoy riding and I love restoring old bikes. It is really fun to bring an old pile of junk back from the dead and take that first ride on a reborn bike.

I probably had my first bike at age 4. It's just the American thing to do is get a bike at an early age.

What made me get into cycling 30 years later? It's easier on the joints than running. I thought the speed aspect would be thrilling and a cousin of mine said progress can be made in a short period of time and it can be addictive. I've come to learn it's all true. If only I can figure out how to prevent my hands from becoming numb after 12 miles or so, it's be much more pleasurable.

I had no other means of transportation.

As a kid, I'd always be on bike. My 1st was a tricycle of course, then a huffy bike. Then I purchased my 1st road bike (Schwinn Traveler), my 2nd was a (Fuji Espree) and still have this bike to this day. I always enjoyed riding bikes. I was away from cycling for about 15 years until my 1st ride on my new road bike this weekend. What a joy.

I started to save gas. Better way to travel and get a good work out. I've realized that it is one of the best forms of exercise.

I really can't remember what made me start to take it so seriously. The only thing that I do know is that I rode a lot around the village when I was a child, and then as I got older I just viewed my bike as a way to travel that didn't cost any money, which was very important back when I was a student. Now, I really enjoy the feeling that I get when I am on the open road with nothing ahead of me - and that is quite easy to achieve in the area where I live. It is brilliant as you can completely forget about everything that is going on in your life, and just think about the exercise, and moving your feet to turn the pedals. I recommend cycling to all of my friends, because I know what an amazing change it has had on my life.

I was hitting two birds in one stone when I started thinking about cycling. First I want to stay active and fit while enjoying the scenery. I love going places and I think biking is one of the least expensive ways to do that. There is nothing relaxing for me than riding a bike early in the morning. I find it quite a therapy for my busy day

Probably my father had an influence on me. We always went for long bike rides, and after he died I started cycling so often that it became my passion.

I started to save gas. Better way to travel and get a good work out. I've realized that it is one of the best forms of exercise.

@JSWin
Yes, that's a great benefit of cycling. You can cycle to your work and save your money on gasoline, while you also gain other health benefits and you workout out different parts of your body.

I enjoyed it ever since I learned to ride as a kid. Since then I've always had some sort of bike in my possession.

What made me want to learn to ride though was seeing other kids my age out and around on their bikes and I so wanted to go with them, to be like them. So I tried to quickly learn and was so pleased when I did.

Peer pressure.
Parents always told me "well if all your friends jumped off a bridge would you."
My response has always been as long as there is a nice transition at the bottom to land on then hell ya.

BikeBikeBikeBike said:
Peer pressure.
Parents always told me "well if all your friends jumped off a bridge would you."
My response has always been as long as there is a nice transition at the bottom to land on then hell ya.
Thinking about it, peer pressure probably got me into cycling. Well, learning to ride anyway. My dad taught me and he was very tough, as in he wanted me to get it that afternoon kinda thing, you know?

Being tough and throwing me in at the deep end as it were almost put me off of learning to ride. I can't remember exactly how I learnt and what I did, but it was a pretty bad feeling seeing my brother of 5 years younger that me riding around on his bike while I was still learning.

I started biking when I was deciding on an outdoors-ey hobby to pursue. I wanted to become more active, and cycling looked like loads of fun, so I purchased a bike and started riding! I've never regretted it.

I was growing up during the BMX craze of the early 80's and that influenced me hugely. Another reason was my dad, he thought I should have a bike just like he had back in his youth. My first bike was a blue Mongoose BMX and it was a ton of fun. All the kids in my neighborhood wear riding BMX bikes and that just perpetuated my interest in bikes and I was hooked ever since.