What makes bikes handle differently? Can a bike be too light?

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <DqYna.515526$F1.72830@sccrnsc04>, "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > You can toss the bike violently from side-to-side, or not at all.
Obviously
> > the side-to-side thrashing is harder on the bike
>
> In what way?

It can put big (relative to normal riding) side loads on the wheels. Also, from the recent frame
failure discussion, the consensus seemed to be that high intermittent peak loads can significantly
accelerate fatigue in frames and components. I had a lugged steel frame in a fixed gear
configuration, which I rode a good deal standing, it failed at the lower head tube (cracked), right
at the lug boundary, a typical failure mode for these frames. I think "frame tossing" puts more
out-of-plane, torsion (twisting) stresses on a frame.

> > It is especially not common on hills, steep or otherwise. The type of
pedaling
> > you describe isn't sustainable for any duration. Unless it's a finish line sprint, it's posing
> > -- inefficient, dangerous, and hard on the bike.
> >
> > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/standing.html
>
> Disagree. Standing is just a different style, that's all. I'm not going to say it's more efficient
> or faster, but it's a valid technique and appropriate at times.

I was referring to the practice of swinging the bike when out of the saddle, not riding out of the
saddle in general.

> eric bazan wrote:
> > ... Standing while going up hills makes it possible to push a bigger gear and use a lower
> > cadence....
>
> Is there any advantage to doing this, unless one is already using the lowest gear on the bicycle?

I think that a lot of the out of the saddle hill climbing you see is from people refusing (for ego
reasons) to buy lower gearing, forcing them to climb in a too tall gear.

"Captain Dondo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 15:36:47 +0000, Stephen Harding wrote:
>

> > Neither do I see why banking the bike back and forth while standup
pedaling
> > would be especially bad for the bike. Perhaps putting more lateral
forces on
> > frame (frame weakest in lateral stiffness), but a quality bike frame
shouldn't
> > be too upset with such forces.
> >

> I ride with an ex-linebacker. This guy tips the scales at 260# + with power to match. If you're
> drafting him and he gets up to sprint, you can see the frame and the rear wheel flex. I mean the
> rear wheel gets out of line by about 3 inches with the front, due to frame flex.

That's not Skip Foley is it? I was watching Skip race the Manassas, VA crit one year and
noticed that his bike was just flexing all over the place under him! Certainly wouldn't want to
be THAT bike!

Most of us aren't blessed (cursed?) with being that large and strong.

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:Gb3oa.1592$366.810@fed1read06...
> >
> > Sprinting is one of the things I love about cycling. The speed, the
power,
> > the rush, the sense of accomplishment when you're done. Just riding
along
> > (JRA) doesn't have nearly the same effect. I understand that not
everyone
> > is like me, so YMMV when it comes to enjoying sprinting. But just like green eggs and ham, try
> > it, you may like it!
>
> Believe it or not, I have done the occasional sprint, but thanks for the condescension anyway. My
> comments weren't about sprinting, but thrashing
the
> bike from side-to-side.
>

> > Hmmm, the SDBC ride here in San Diego does about the same thing, but is always won by a guy
> > standing up sprinting for the last 50-100m. Towards
the
> > late spring/summer, I'm actually one of the ones up there sprinting "for
the
> > win." You ever see Cipollini take an all out sprint seated? He gets
the
> > big tow to the line seated, but for that last explosive burst to the
line,
> > nothing beats the standing sprint.
>
> I'm sure you and Cipollini are both impressive sights. Our finish sprints
tend
> to be much longer, and usually seated.

Acutally, I'm not as impressive as Cipo, nor do I look as good (on or off the bike), but I
do have fun.

The finishing stretch on the SDBC ride is several miles long. The leadout starts in Leucadia, the
sprint actually happens at the Solana Beach sign. I watched from about 15th today as the leadout for
the sprint began in earnest at about 1/2mi to go, with the sprint happening in the last 50-100m.
When the two guys that I had marked jumped, I hesitated, and all was lost...

Not bad for someone with heavy legs today.

> > ...and when was the last time that happened to you? A chain skipping
isn't
> > going to cause a crash unless you're completely "equilibriumly
challenged."
> > Basic maintenence takes care of the rest...
>
> Last time for me was several years ago, new chain, worn sprocket, MTB with very low bars...
>
> I've seen quite a few of these though over the years, mostly pedal pull
outs,
> but even when riders haven't gone down from a chain skip, if they're
standing,
> they often wobble violently. I've seen a few pack crashes caused that way.
>

> > Hell, you might as well worry about some idiot in a car hitting you if you're worried about a
> > chain skipping or a pedal falling out. In the likelihood category, both occurences are very rare
> > for a decently
maintained
> > bike.
>
> Chain skips and pedal *pull outs* aren't all that rare in my neck of the woods.

Tim McNamara :

> People stand to sprint in order to use their weight on the pedals, not because there's
> "significant extra power" available from the upper body.

Standing does of course make more weight available to push against and the arms provide extra
reaction force too. But it is still strange that riders will sprint out of the saddle on big gears
rather than sit and spin at the sort of revs that give max power on an ergometer (which I believe
isn't limited by reaction force).

The arm-work is not negligible and the legs work in a different way to when you are seated which
could also affect max power.

Do you think out-of-saddle riding is no more powerful than seated riding?

> Watch the pros race. Many of the top sprinters do most of their sprint sitting down; this is even
> more apparent in track sprinters. Standing for 200-300 meters of all-out sprinting is not
> effective for most riders (Abdujaparov being a notable exception). Amateurs tend to be more likely
> to sprint standing, but the sprints tend to only be 50-100 meters long.

Don't know which pros you're watching and your amateurs must be schoolboys. I'm only talking about
the maximal effort part not the wind up.

Trackies don't count since they don't have gears. You have to sit at those RPM. And when they ride
the road, they do like everybody else.

Andrew Bradley

"Captain Dondo" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Aluminum makes a lousy spring. You bend it enough times, it loses its strength. No single point
> failure, just goes soft as a noodle.

Losing strength and going soft are not at all the same thing. Bend some aluminum back and forth a
bit and see what happens. It may get weaker yes, but not softer.

JT

NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

"Captain Dondo" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 16:28:50 +0000, Mark Hickey wrote:
>
>> You need to do an experiment. Sneak over to the linebacker's house, and get his bike. Now
>> wedge it between a couple solid objects and pull on the back end until it moves three inches
>> "out of line".
>
>I'm talking lateral flex. The front wheel tracks true; the rear wheel tracks in an S curve... Some
>of it may be line of sight stuff, but any frame will flex under enough power. His far more than
>most. Trek frames aren't built for that kind of weight...

I figured it was lateral flex. My point was that if you DID manage to actually flex a frame 3"
off-center, it was going to be permanently damaged.

>> 'Splain me, Lucy. How does the structure of the metal change without failing?
>
>Aluminum makes a lousy spring. You bend it enough times, it loses its strength. No single point
>failure, just goes soft as a noodle. That's why springs are steel. I've had one alum. frame end up
>that way after about 5 hard seasons. The frame just loses its liveliness.

Heh. That is entirely, totally, and unreservedly false, but common mythology in many bike shops
among the "experts".

"Captain Dondo" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
> I ride with an ex-linebacker. This guy tips the scales at 260# + with power to match. If you're
> drafting him and he gets up to sprint, you can see the frame and the rear wheel flex. I mean the
> rear wheel gets out of line by about 3 inches with the front, due to frame flex.

Well for one thing that guy is 105 lbs too heavy to be a cyclist.

You can't go from being a linebacker to cyclist, it's just not done.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (John Forrest
Tomlinson) writes:

> Losing strength and going soft are not at all the same thing. Bend some aluminum back and forth a
> bit and see what happens. It may get weaker yes, but not softer.

Maybe it becomes work-hardened (and more brittle)?

I truly don't know. I'm asking out of curiosity. Can aluminum be work-hardened, and does the process
make it more brittle?

cheers, Tom