What makes good genes?

roger89

May 29, 2005
Hello,

I'm been hearing good genes plays a factor in cyclists performance. But what makes good genes?

Thanks.

"But what makes good genes?"

Careful attention to the stitching.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

roger89 said:
Hello,

I'm been hearing good genes plays a factor in cyclists performance. But what makes good genes?

Thanks.

serious answer: you are born with them that makes you a good athlete. Lance isn't where he is simply because he tries harder, he also has the right genes. I think what you are really asking is not what are good genes but what characteristcs make a great athlete based on their genes.
:rolleyes:

Chance3290 said:
"But what makes good genes?"

Careful attention to the stitching.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
It's bad grammar? Could you correct it for me?

Insight Driver said:
serious answer: you are born with them that makes you a good athlete. Lance isn't where he is simply because he tries harder, he also has the right genes. I think what you are really asking is not what are good genes but what characteristcs make a great athlete based on their genes.
:rolleyes:
Yeah, I think you got me right.

roger89 said:
Hello,

Thanks.
The simple answer is the ability to process and use more oxygen than you or I can do... it is more complicated than that, but that is essentially it(i.e. bigger/more efficient lungs/heart, etc.)

wilmar13 said:
The simple answer is the ability to process and use more oxygen than you or I can do... it is more complicated than that, but that is essentially it(i.e. bigger/more efficient lungs/heart, etc.)
Meaning only some athletes are born with that ability? How about those who did not born with it, can they train their body so that they could have that same speciality that those people have?

To know it, it's the VO2 max thing right?

roger89 said:
Meaning only some athletes are born with that ability? How about those who did not born with it, can they train their body so that they could have that same speciality that those people have?

Take two people who are the same size and weight. Have them both go through the same training regime. The one with the genes that are good for that particular sport will pull ahead of the other one, eventually. Not by much maybe, but maybe just enough to measure but not be certain about. You know the expression about being born to be such and such? Nowadays sports are so refined that the creme of the crop ride on top. Up there in that rarified atmosphere if you checked everyone you would find a majority of them have the right genes. A minority, maybe even a large one, are there because they trained and trained their asses off to be the best they can be. What you won't see is someone who has the genes that got there without training their asses off as well. Point? Having the right genes may get you further, but only if you excercise your ass off.

A simple analogy: a clydesdale will not be a good sprinter. You don't find many midget basketball players. You don't see fat jockeys.
:)

roger89 said:

No it is only potential...think about it like IQ... you can do better than someone with more ability through more effort, but you have limits to what you can achieve. Someone with a lot of natural ability can go faster easier than someone with less ability... but the guy with less inherent ability and more effort may be faster because of the effort... either way you are stuck with what you have, make the most of it.

i would suggest not just the physical. the ability to have ambition/devotion/dedication to a sport would be required. sometimes thats inherited, sometimes not.

but you often hear of athletes coming from surprised families who have no genetic history:)

Good genes = what kind of muscle fiber type (cells) do you have ---one that is suited for endurance (fuctions well at the aerobic threshold) vs. one that is better suited for strength (high bursts of energy) AND how does that muscle react to prolonged endurace traning...

P.S. Good genes = ones that make your bum look good :)

wondergurl said:
Good genes = what kind of muscle fiber type (cells) do you have ---one that is suited for endurance (fuctions well at the aerobic threshold) vs. one that is better suited for strength (high bursts of energy) AND how does that muscle react to prolonged endurace traning...

P.S. Good genes = ones that make your bum look good :)
I don't know. How do I know?

Muscle fibres have bugger all to do with genes. Genes are basically your DNA or what make you human. Muscles can be developed. If you want to be a sprinter, practice your sprinting, if you want to be an endurance rider, practice your endurance riding. Genes just determine whether or not you're going to be a jammy git. Basically.

Bill.

wilmar13 said:
If you have to ask....
That really is the right answer. Sports parents that think all these camps, videos and coaches will turn little Jimmy into a star are delusional. The best can/will rise to the top despite numerous impediments (like Lance), and some like Ullrich can do quite well despite poor training habits. The rest of us will never come close even with the best possible training and pharmacology. The range of human abilities in any activity, mental or physical, is truly stunningly large and often underestimated.