What makes Lance Armstrong Better than anyone in the world

Victor

Guest
What makes Lance Armstrong better than anyone in the world.
I mean for example, The Tour De France, you have every rider who is an elite
athlete, so why does Lance just keep beating them all every year ?

Victor said:
What makes Lance Armstrong better than anyone in the world.
I mean for example, The Tour De France, you have every rider who is an elite
athlete, so why does Lance just keep beating them all every year ?
its the only 'classic' he rides.

oh, and he's f%$ckin awesome on a bike kinda comes in handy too ;)

and so let yet another Lance-bashin thread begin...

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:46:00 +1000, Victor wrote:

> What makes Lance Armstrong better than anyone in the world. I mean for
> example, The Tour De France, you have every rider who is an elite athlete,
> so why does Lance just keep beating them all every year ?

I read somewhere that Lance concentrates on the Tour, and
doesn't usually compete in the whole lots of spring races
leading up to the tour (like the Giro d'Italia, Tour of Flanders,
Paris-Roubaix, etc.)

He also has an exceedingly good team to help him. Remember that
a cycling road race over 200km is not just pure power/speed
but also one of tactics.

Personally I just think he's bloody good. I don't like it
that he dominates the competition so much he's almost a
certainty to win, but this is no different to other TdF heroes
(e.g. Merxx, Hinault, LeMond) who had their time.

-kt

--
Kingsley Turner,
(mailto: [email protected])

"Victor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What makes Lance Armstrong better than anyone in the world.
> I mean for example, The Tour De France, you have every rider who is an

elite
> athlete, so why does Lance just keep beating them all every year ?

The U.S.A can throw millions into drug development?

"Unregistered" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Victor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > What makes Lance Armstrong better than anyone in the world.
> > I mean for example, The Tour De France, you have every rider who is an

> elite
> > athlete, so why does Lance just keep beating them all every year ?
> >

> The U.S.A can throw millions into drug development?

What a lame, boring posting.
You make an anonymous, inflammatory comment and then run away.
What a loser.

Marty

he pedals mighty fast, all the time, up hills, on the flats, dunno how he keeps it up. Sure he's always just behind someone in a US Postal top, but them legs of his are always a blur. Most of his main opponents ( in the 'classic') seem to be out there on their own, dunno why their team doesn't go-into-bat like the Postal guys do lancy-boy.
Suppose this doesn't mean anything when the meanest time trial shows him up as the most hungry though.
Practice (on the one event, do the route) & focus (on the one event, do the route) seem to stand him out as different from most of the also-rans.
Hope someone beats him one day, because i know he won't let that go without a fight, and that would be worth watching on a cold winters evening.

For the same reason that Pettaci wins all the sprints in the Giro. That's What He Does. He and the Postal/Discovery team focus on the Tourl, and pretty much that goal only for the year. That's their call.

Armstrong cops flack for not racing more, but has parlayed his experience/career into le Tour as well as serious cancer advocasy. He's a busy boy.

idiot

My 2 cents...

Clearly he's got a great team, and focuses 110% on the TDF, but basically, I believe he is just an amazing natural endurance athlete... from his early performance in triathlons, to his performance in this years Alpe D'Huez time trial... unbelievable talent.

"idiot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> For the same reason that Pettaci wins all the sprints in the Giro.
> That's What He Does. He and the Postal/Discovery team focus on the
> Tourl, and pretty much that goal only for the year. That's their
> call.
>
> Armstrong cops flack for not racing more, but has parlayed his
> experience/career into le Tour as well as serious cancer advocasy.
> He's a busy boy.
>
> idiot

I remember one night when a mate and I were watching something on FOX
Sports. Anyway, I had just finished bagging the absolute **** out of Lance
when an advertisement came on the telly showing Lance doing charity work for
cancer patients...LOL.. Can we all say "tall poppy syndrome" ?

The guy's just a champion, plain and simple. BUT, it's the aussie way to
try and knock him off his perch! :)

"Unregistered" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Anyway, I had just finished bagging the absolute **** out of Lance
> when an advertisement came on the telly showing Lance doing charity work

for
> cancer patients...LOL.. Can we all say "tall poppy syndrome" ?
>
> The guy's just a champion, plain and simple. BUT, it's the aussie way to
> try and knock him off his perch! :)

Glad you posted this one. You just showed you have a heart. Well put, and
don't be so shy about posting some name for us.

Cheers
Peter

"Unregistered" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Anyway, I had just finished bagging the absolute **** out of Lance
> when an advertisement came on the telly showing Lance doing charity work

for
> cancer patients...LOL.. Can we all say "tall poppy syndrome" ?
>
> The guy's just a champion, plain and simple. BUT, it's the aussie way to
> try and knock him off his perch! :)

Glad you posted this one. You just showed you have a heart. Well put, and
don't be so shy about posting some name for us.

Cheers
Peter

How about

[1] awesome engine (VO2 max 85-90) (i.e. in top top elite tier)
[2] post cancer weight loss, but not power loss
[3] concentrates on TDF, rides the route repeatedly in training, e.g. knows
where to sprint in the last 200 meters
[4] has the best team, climbers for the mountains, power engines on the
flats e.g. TTT wins 2003-2004
[5] Coaches, tactics and strategies are spot on
[6] most importantly has capacities of sheer mental strength, focus and
bloody minded determination unmatched by competitors

As Ullrich's coach moaned, "Ullrich rides to live, Armstrong lives to rode"
That is the difference.

richie

"Victor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What makes Lance Armstrong better than anyone in the world.
> I mean for example, The Tour De France, you have every rider who is an
> elite
> athlete, so why does Lance just keep beating them all every year ?

Victor <[email protected]> wrote:
> What makes Lance Armstrong better than anyone in the world.
> I mean for example, The Tour De France, you have every rider who is an elite
> athlete, so why does Lance just keep beating them all every year ?

Well I suppose he has the advantage of being a postie and being able to
ride all day while the other riders are at work.

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA