What makes Lance Armstrong Better than anyone in the world

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Victor, Oct 29, 2004.

  1. Victor

    Victor Guest

    What makes Lance Armstrong better than anyone in the world.
    I mean for example, The Tour De France, you have every rider who is an elite
    athlete, so why does Lance just keep beating them all every year ?

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    its the only 'classic' he rides.

    oh, and he's f%$ckin awesome on a bike kinda comes in handy too ;)

    and so let yet another Lance-bashin thread begin...

  3. kingsley

    kingsley Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:46:00 +1000, Victor wrote:

    > What makes Lance Armstrong better than anyone in the world. I mean for
    > example, The Tour De France, you have every rider who is an elite athlete,
    > so why does Lance just keep beating them all every year ?

    I read somewhere that Lance concentrates on the Tour, and
    doesn't usually compete in the whole lots of spring races
    leading up to the tour (like the Giro d'Italia, Tour of Flanders,
    Paris-Roubaix, etc.)

    He also has an exceedingly good team to help him. Remember that
    a cycling road race over 200km is not just pure power/speed
    but also one of tactics.

    Personally I just think he's bloody good. I don't like it
    that he dominates the competition so much he's almost a
    certainty to win, but this is no different to other TdF heroes
    (e.g. Merxx, Hinault, LeMond) who had their time.

    -kt

    --
    Kingsley Turner,
    (mailto: [email protected])

  4. Unregistered

    Unregistered Guest

    "Victor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What makes Lance Armstrong better than anyone in the world.
    > I mean for example, The Tour De France, you have every rider who is an

    elite
    > athlete, so why does Lance just keep beating them all every year ?

    The U.S.A can throw millions into drug development?

  5. Marty

    Marty Guest

    "Unregistered" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Victor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > What makes Lance Armstrong better than anyone in the world.
    > > I mean for example, The Tour De France, you have every rider who is an

    > elite
    > > athlete, so why does Lance just keep beating them all every year ?
    > >

    > The U.S.A can throw millions into drug development?

    What a lame, boring posting.
    You make an anonymous, inflammatory comment and then run away.
    What a loser.

    Marty

  6. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    he pedals mighty fast, all the time, up hills, on the flats, dunno how he keeps it up. Sure he's always just behind someone in a US Postal top, but them legs of his are always a blur. Most of his main opponents ( in the 'classic') seem to be out there on their own, dunno why their team doesn't go-into-bat like the Postal guys do lancy-boy.
    Suppose this doesn't mean anything when the meanest time trial shows him up as the most hungry though.
    Practice (on the one event, do the route) & focus (on the one event, do the route) seem to stand him out as different from most of the also-rans.
    Hope someone beats him one day, because i know he won't let that go without a fight, and that would be worth watching on a cold winters evening.

  7. idiot

    idiot New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2004
    For the same reason that Pettaci wins all the sprints in the Giro. That's What He Does. He and the Postal/Discovery team focus on the Tourl, and pretty much that goal only for the year. That's their call.

    Armstrong cops flack for not racing more, but has parlayed his experience/career into le Tour as well as serious cancer advocasy. He's a busy boy.

    idiot

  8. msydd

    msydd New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2004
    My 2 cents...

    Clearly he's got a great team, and focuses 110% on the TDF, but basically, I believe he is just an amazing natural endurance athlete... from his early performance in triathlons, to his performance in this years Alpe D'Huez time trial... unbelievable talent.

  9. Unregistered

    Unregistered Guest

    "idiot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > For the same reason that Pettaci wins all the sprints in the Giro.
    > That's What He Does. He and the Postal/Discovery team focus on the
    > Tourl, and pretty much that goal only for the year. That's their
    > call.
    >
    > Armstrong cops flack for not racing more, but has parlayed his
    > experience/career into le Tour as well as serious cancer advocasy.
    > He's a busy boy.
    >
    > idiot

    I remember one night when a mate and I were watching something on FOX
    Sports. Anyway, I had just finished bagging the absolute crap out of Lance
    when an advertisement came on the telly showing Lance doing charity work for
    cancer patients...LOL.. Can we all say "tall poppy syndrome" ?

    The guy's just a champion, plain and simple. BUT, it's the aussie way to
    try and knock him off his perch! :)

  10. "Unregistered" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    Anyway, I had just finished bagging the absolute crap out of Lance
    > when an advertisement came on the telly showing Lance doing charity work

    for
    > cancer patients...LOL.. Can we all say "tall poppy syndrome" ?
    >
    > The guy's just a champion, plain and simple. BUT, it's the aussie way to
    > try and knock him off his perch! :)

    Glad you posted this one. You just showed you have a heart. Well put, and
    don't be so shy about posting some name for us.

    Cheers
    Peter

  11. "Unregistered" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    Anyway, I had just finished bagging the absolute crap out of Lance
    > when an advertisement came on the telly showing Lance doing charity work

    for
    > cancer patients...LOL.. Can we all say "tall poppy syndrome" ?
    >
    > The guy's just a champion, plain and simple. BUT, it's the aussie way to
    > try and knock him off his perch! :)

    Glad you posted this one. You just showed you have a heart. Well put, and
    don't be so shy about posting some name for us.

    Cheers
    Peter

  12. richie

    richie Guest

    How about

    [1] awesome engine (VO2 max 85-90) (i.e. in top top elite tier)
    [2] post cancer weight loss, but not power loss
    [3] concentrates on TDF, rides the route repeatedly in training, e.g. knows
    where to sprint in the last 200 meters
    [4] has the best team, climbers for the mountains, power engines on the
    flats e.g. TTT wins 2003-2004
    [5] Coaches, tactics and strategies are spot on
    [6] most importantly has capacities of sheer mental strength, focus and
    bloody minded determination unmatched by competitors

    As Ullrich's coach moaned, "Ullrich rides to live, Armstrong lives to rode"
    That is the difference.

    richie

    "Victor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What makes Lance Armstrong better than anyone in the world.
    > I mean for example, The Tour De France, you have every rider who is an
    > elite
    > athlete, so why does Lance just keep beating them all every year ?

  13. Paul J

    Paul J New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003
    He still hasn't beaten me yet.

  14. Victor <[email protected]> wrote:
    > What makes Lance Armstrong better than anyone in the world.
    > I mean for example, The Tour De France, you have every rider who is an elite
    > athlete, so why does Lance just keep beating them all every year ?

    Well I suppose he has the advantage of being a postie and being able to
    ride all day while the other riders are at work.

    --
    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA