What makes one rider having more AWC???

BlueJersey

Jan 5, 2005
I was just thinking about the Jiminy Peak race I did this past Sat. Overall I didn't exert any unnecessary energy during the race, cat4 field. My average power shows it. I burnt 16 matches with 1 minute duration. They were 120%+ of my FT. If I had 2 more matches to burn before the final climb, I could place higher. My legs didn't have it.

BlueJersey said:
I was just thinking about the Jiminy Peak race I did this past Sat. Overall I didn't exert any unnecessary energy during the race, cat4 field. My average power shows it. I burnt 16 matches with 1 minute duration. They were 120%+ of my FT. If I had 2 more matches to burn before the final climb, I could place higher. My legs didn't have it.

That doesn't sound like an issue of anaerobic work capacity, but of endurance/fatigue. That is, if the first 14 "matches" hadn't put as large of a dent in your glycogen stores, you probably would have been able to generate more power late in the race. The solution is therefore to: 1) raise your functional threshold power, 2) make sure you eat enough carbohydrate to assure a plentiful supply of glycogen, and/or 3) do a better job (if possible) of conserving energy earlier in the race.

Thanks Andy. :)

acoggan said:
That doesn't sound like an issue of anaerobic work capacity, but of endurance/fatigue. That is, if the first 14 "matches" hadn't put as large of a dent in your glycogen stores, you probably would have been able to generate more power late in the race. The solution is therefore to: 1) raise your functional threshold power, 2) make sure you eat enough carbohydrate to assure a plentiful supply of glycogen, and/or 3) do a better job (if possible) of conserving energy earlier in the race.

So what would be a case of insufficient AWC? Not being able to hang with a 1-3 minute surge?

peterpen said:
So what would be a case of insufficient AWC? Not being able to hang with a 1-3 minute surge?

That would typically be a very good sign, but of course it would depend on the precise circumstances (e.g., when in a race the rider was dropped, what their power was beforehand, etc.).

I'm Cat 1/2 pack meat, and I get put through the grinder by the attacks. AWC is good, but repeated attacking without recovery has me thinking that the most easily defined capability would be a very strong FTP.

I can hang with the attacks, I can even instigate the attacks. But it is very hard to get back on at the end of the line when it comes by:p

Higher FTP= Less time anaerobic regardless of racing situations.