What Makes You A Cyclist?

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 06:43:50 GMT, "S o r n i"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Jeez, Rick -- why don't you just go ahead and say there's
>no Easter Bunny, too?!?

I thought the tooth fairy had finally realized how much my
teeth were worth and had returned to pay me the money she
owed plus interest, but it turned out that it was money left
on the kitchen counter for other reasons...

>Bill "and you top-posted it, no less" S.

Yeah, it was intended for email; must have clicked the
wrong button. Stupid GUI. Yeah, that's right, it's the
GUI's fault!
--
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:32:44 GMT, Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

> "TheCyclist2002" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message ..
>

>> To me, it isn't about how far you ride, what you wear,
>> what type of bike you ride, or even how many seasons you
>> ride in. No, none of that matters. What make you a
>> cyclist is the love of the ride!!
>
> Look, normaly I'm a really nice guy, but you brought this
> on yourself. You are what is known as a FRED.

And you are known as a snob.

> Just don't expect any respect from me. I don't like the
> why you look, what you ride, who you hang out with, what
> you wear.

> Real Roadies don't like FREDS.

Look, I'm not a racer and I don't pretend to be one. I'm
asthmatic and run out of lungs long before I run out of
legs. But I can keep an 18.5 mph pace over 100 miles. I've
been known to lead pace lines wearing my sweat pants (I hate
the cold) and my full Camelback (tools and all, but I did
remove the stickers off my bike as ever ounce counts). I
wave to anyone on the road riding a bike as I can sympathize
with them on their treatment by other road users. The bad
news for you is that you are probably a miserable person
(you sound like a troll) the good news for me is I don't
care about you. Just go out and ride. I'll keep waving and
you can ignore me.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email protected]
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)

"Neil Cherry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

>I've been known to lead pace lines wearing my sweat
>pants (I hate the cold) and my full Camelback (tools and
>all, but I did remove the stickers off my bike as ever
>ounce counts).

You must admit to wondering just what it would be like
to ride with the A team when you see guys like
Fabrizio ride by.

"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> amh wrote:
> > [email protected] (TheCyclist2002) wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> >>
> >> Some people say that if you ride a 'discount store'
> >> bike, you're not a cyclist.
> >
> > Now I'm not a cyclist because I ride a discount store to
> > work. But I have a Trek and Litespeed. Am I both?
>
> Obvious answer: you're a BI-cyclist.
>
> Bill "not that there's anything wrong with that..." S.

How do I tell my GF?

Andy

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> Look, I'm not a racer and I don't pretend to be one. I'm
> asthmatic and run out of lungs long before I run out of
> legs. But I can keep an 18.5 mph pace over 100 miles. I've
> been known to lead pace lines wearing my sweat pants (I
> hate the cold) and my full Camelback (tools and all, but I
> did remove the stickers off my bike as ever ounce counts).
> I wave to anyone on the road riding a bike as I can
> sympathize with them on their treatment by other road
> users. The bad news for you is that you are probably a
> miserable person (you sound like a troll) the good

He is a troll (so be careful going over those bridges), but
he's *our* troll <GGG>. Eventually you'll get used to him,
and take is postings for what they're worth.

--
Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
the newsgroups if possible).

> Real Roadies don't like FREDS.

Yeah, and that's amazing to see how many Real Roadies (TM)
there are. This afternoon, second sunny spring day of the
year, I left work early to go for a short recreational ride
along the lakeside. I mean I left work on my commuter bike,
dressed for work (jeans and shirt, winter jacket). I get to
the lakeside on that little paved road, closed to motorized
traffic and full of pedestrians out to enjoy the sun. Plus a
handful of Real Roadies (TM) and Rock Hard Mountain Bikers
(R), all in colorful jerseys, enjoying spring like everybody
else. The difference between the (TM) guys and myself (the
Fred) ? They left work even earlier, dropped home by car,
changed clothes, possibly loaded the bike on the car and
drove there. No problem with that, everybody's free, but no,
these guys don't answer waves and nods. By the way, I
checked Very Scientifically and in a Statistically
Significant Manner that provided I change clothes and use
the other bike, the same guys _do_ wave. Because it's not
the cycling that makes you part of that great brotherhood,
it's the clothes.

Jacques Fred 5 days a week, Real Roadie 2 Sundays a month.

>You do know that ol' Fabby is just a hyperbolic fictional
>character, a caricature of your average rec.bicycle.racing
>type, right?

Ah. So I got trolled.

>If not, well, don't be offended. Just realize how silly
>that character is, and avoid becoming him (easy enough
>to avoid :

I'd avoid it if it meant cutting my wrists.

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "TheCyclist2002" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message ..
>

> > To me, it isn't about how far you ride, what you wear,
> > what type of bike
you
> > ride, or even how many seasons you ride in. No, none of
> > that matters.
What make
> > you a cyclist is the love of the ride!!
>
> Look, normaly I'm a really nice guy...

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yeah, and G.W. Bush is a genius, too. Keep dreamin', loser.

> You are what is known as a FRED. You will have lot's of
> other FREDS to ride with as the roads are clogged with
> these types.

We own the road. Don't **** us off or we'll put our frame
pump through your spokes and laugh as you bite the dust.

> Just don't expect any respect from me.

Don't cry when I laugh at your arrogance.

> I don't like the why you look, what you ride, who you hang
> out with, what you wear.

And I get a kick out of swerving into you to make you crash.

> If we pass on the road don't try to wave or smile at me,
> I'm going to have to ignore you.

We can't ignore Lycra clowns. We *will* be laughing at you
behind your back. And yes, we do hate you, and you do suck.

> That's the way road riding is and always has been.

Yep. Roadies are mostly arrogant turds like you.

> Real Roadies don't like FREDS.

And the feeling is most definitely mutual. But, of course,
the Lycra clowns are in the minority, so you'll have to
move over.

And no, I won't stop to help when I see your candy ass in
the ditch. Suffer.

"Rocketman" <[email protected]> wrote in message .

> We own the road. Don't **** us off or we'll put our frame
> pump through your spokes and laugh as you bite the dust.

That's strange, I just got back from a serious training
ride/ new equipment testing session and my experience from
interfacing with FREDS like you was not like your little
rant at all.

Aside from your minor nuisance factor you guys are pretty
much a none-issue with me out there.

16 Mar 2004 22:42:00 GMT,
David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:

>Fabrizio Mazzoleni <[email protected]> wrote:
>> That's strange, I just got back from a serious training
>> ride/ new equipment testing session
>[snip]
>
>what were you testing?

Last year's model.
--
zk

Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:23:06 GMT, <u%L5c.69226$Up2.4064@pd7tw1no>,
The Pro "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote :
>> Fabrizio Mazzoleni <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > That's strange, I just got back from a serious training
>> > ride/ new equipment testing session
>> [snip]
>>
>> what were you testing?
>
>Milan-San Remo is this Saturday, let's just leave it at
>that.

ohh, pantyhose.
--
zk

amh wrote:
> "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> amh wrote:

>>> Now I'm not a cyclist because I ride a discount store to
>>> work. But I have a Trek and Litespeed. Am I both?
>>
>> Obvious answer: you're a BI-cyclist.
>>
>> Bill "not that there's anything wrong with that..." S.
>
> How do I tell my GF?

Trust me, she already knows.

Bill "smart-ass answer would be 'she told me so last
night!' :) " S.

BRAVO!

Well said.

"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear
for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

To Whom It May Concern:

Most _Cyclists_ don't care for the roadie who has nothing
better to do than tack degrading labels on everyone who
doesn't go along with what amounts to simple narrow
minded bigotry.

Chris Zacho "The Wheelman" wrote:
> BRAVO!
>
> Well said.

OK, I'll bite. */WTF?!?/*

Bill "astounded" S.

>If we pass on the road don't try to wave or smile at me,
>I'm going to have to
ignore you.<

That's cool. For every "roadie" who doesn't wave or smile,
there a dozen recreational riders who will smile, wave, and
give you a friendly "Good Morning"

>You will have lot's of other FREDS to ride with as the
>roads are clogged with
these types<

"These types." Gotta love it. I wonder, do you call people
of color "these types" too??

AJC

God Bless, and Let's Ride!!