what model Bianchi to search for?

fishboat

Jul 9, 2012
Hi,

I'm an older rider that is still riding the road bike I picked up in 1980..it was & is a good bike..still rides great..we're old friends at this point, but in my heart I always had some lust for a Celeste Green Bianchi.

I don't really need another bike. They are easy to store in the off season though. Consider this the bike version of that '69 Camaro that got away..

Over the years I got away from eating and breathing everything 'bike' and lost track of the various models. If I were to look for a NICE Bianchi road bike of around '80's-90's vintage, 58cm, preferrably all campy, hot in every respect..what model(s) would I be looking for?

thx for your help..

If you're looking for a 20-30 year old bike, it's best not to be fussy about the model. I don't even know if anyone even remembers the model names from that long ago.

I rode a 1979 Gios and I never knew it even had a model name. I just remember building it up with Super Record, GP4s, and a Turbo.

Most sellers are aware of this and will list the components right out front.

Search for a model that has been well cared for. One that has not seen lots of winter miles. Any rust other than a very light patina is a deal killer.

Look only for Campy equipped models and preferably with the original tubular wheels. Columbus SL, SLX, TSX and higher tubesets are the most sought after.

"I don't even know if anyone even remembers the model names from that long ago."

Whachoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?!

The Super Corsa, Superleggera and Campione del Mondo models would be my choices. There was also a Superleggera Superissimo model, fairly rare in the States. There were the Squadra, Strada, Speciale and Campionissimo models. Additional dollars should be budgeted for pantographed components, factory toe straps and details such as painted-to-match Silca Impero pump, brake hoods, etc.

Here is a link to vintage Bianchi catalogs to help you get a feel for what was made. What is available and in what condition...that's another issue.

http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/my_bianchi/catalogs.htm

The $750-$3,000 you'll spend on a classic racing bike is a drop in the bucket compared to the $20K-$100K a 69 Z28 RS would set you back!

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Whachoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?!
Maybe I've had an attitude. All I cared was that it fit me, was made out of Columbus SL/SP or SLX, or Reynolds 531 with fat blades, was damned hard to break, and looked purty.

" All I cared was that it fit me, was made out of Columbus SL/SP or SLX, or Reynolds 531 with fat blades, was damned hard to break, and looked purty."

Good choices!

Some of the work put out by Bianchi was beyond sloppy, but most of the three higher end models were good racers. With vintage prices in the reasonable to cheap area, I always look at the high end collectible and rideable stuff.

Most Gios models sold in my area were the Torino and 90% of those were in Gios Blue with white panels and the remainder mostly the white paint with blue panels. Usually, a clean build with decent paint job.