What Muscles Does Bike Riding Exercise?

You need to understand first of all that you cannot say that you will lose weight just because you start cycling. Exercise can increase appetite greatly, and if you don't get the balance right there's every chance that you could maintain your weight, or even gain weight if your food intake increases dramatically. You also can't choose which parts of your body you lose weight from - there is no way to do this. However, biking is great for building leg strength, so increased muscle mass in this part of your body might make it look as though you have lost weight. It is certainly worth a try, and something that you should consider if you plan to cycle.

Reactions: Corzhens
I think that you lose the extra fat on your thighs, legs and hips. I was having a lot of extra fat on my thigh and the fat has reduced a lot after I joined the gym. I did a lot of exercise and I also used the exercise bike at the gym. I also ride my bike daily (on the road). All these things helped me to lose a lot of weight in the past and now I am a fit guy.

Well that is the great part about cycling, is that it work a variety of different muscle groups, and some that you really cannot work otherwise. It really also depends on what kind of cycling you are doing, and if you want those bulging calves then go ahead and try climbing a mountain. I just use it for overall cardio and to shape my legs in general, but if you seek something more targeted there are certainly exercises that you can do.

Since cycling is a cardio exercise, I'd expect weight to be lost overall from it, not just in one specific area. As for what muscles are worked out by it, the legs would be the obvious answer but like other people said, it would also depend on the kind of riding that you're doing. For instance, on harder terrains where you really have to control the bike more, you'd be using different/more muscles than you would on, say, a leisurely ride to the store.

I think that you lose the extra fat on your thighs, legs and hips. I was having a lot of extra fat on my thigh and the fat has reduced a lot after I joined the gym. I did a lot of exercise and I also used the exercise bike at the gym. I also ride my bike daily (on the road). All these things helped me to lose a lot of weight in the past and now I am a fit guy.
No. No. and did I say no? This isn't how fat loss works, and if you had bothered to read the replies right before yours you would already know that. You can not target weight loss in specific areas by exercising them. You could exercise your pinky finger all day and end up with a fat finger and a skinnier butt as a result. Where fat is burned from is determined by your body and what parts of your body you exercise does not correlate to it.

I think your back, your hips, and legs. It will develop more and I think it's more on the lower part of the body, well, for long hours of biking you're shoulders will develop also, but the most important parts for me is my heart. Biking helps me to pump my heart fast and helps for my blood circulation. My cardio also become better now.

You need to understand first of all that you cannot say that you will lose weight just because you start cycling. Exercise can increase appetite greatly, and if you don't get the balance right there's every chance that you could maintain your weight, or even gain weight if your food intake increases dramatically. You also can't choose which parts of your body you lose weight from - there is no way to do this. However, biking is great for building leg strength, so increased muscle mass in this part of your body might make it look as though you have lost weight. It is certainly worth a try, and something that you should consider if you plan to cycle.

I agree that the appetite can increase when you are engaged in a heavy physical activity. But on the contrary, I have lost weight when I started riding and when I quit riding last year, I gained more than 10 pounds. And it's not really the appetite but maybe due to the inactivity. If you care to know, a bulge developed on my right leg and the doctor said that it is a swollen muscle. I call it a mouse and it appears whenever my leg is abused like jogging for a kilometer.

We don't have thousands of muscles in the leg, but yeah it mainly works the lower extremities, which include your gluts (butt), hip flexors, quads and hamstrings (front and rear of thighs), calfs, and your foot plantar and dorsiflexors.

...and what are the main areas you'll lose weight?

Well before I continue, I'd just like to address this point. It is a myth that certain exercises will target different areas of your body for weight loss. For example, it isn't true that performing abdominal crunches will result in losing fat around your belly. All it will do is make your abdominal muscles more prominent.

How quickly and from where you lose fat is entirely determined by genetics. Some people lose fat evenly throughout their body, while others will lose it in all other places first, and then the belly, butt, or thighs last.

Anyway, intensive bike riding works out your quadriceps, hamstrings, and calves. As a result, anyone who does daily intensive bike riding can expect to have very toned upper legs, thighs and calves to some degree. I say to some degree because the development of calf muscles varies a lot depending on genetics.

When your cycling you're using a lot of muscles but the main 2 are quadriceps and hamstring muscles in the upper leg. The calf muscles along with the foot and butt muscles are also in play.

As long as I know, you will mainlyl exercise gluteus maximum and medius, hamstrings, quadriceps, and calf muscles. So, that's what I call getting some legs right? But, that doesn't mean you won't exercise abs, arms, and back muscles, because that depends on how much resistance you add to your cycling. Also, you won't loose weight mainly in some part, you will be doing cardio and that will help you out generally, but you have to eat healthy to improve that part.