What nation breeds the best cyclists?

I heard that the Gold Coast in Queensland with 19 Gold Medals would have come in the top 10 nations at the Olympics.

Australians don't need to breed top notch sportsman. It just happens - must be the sun, sand and the fact we're as far away from pommie land as you can get! (lol)

rayner said:
Michael Wilson - first Australian Giro stage winner I think
Dave McKenzie - another Giro stage winner
Danny Clark - doesnt need any explaining
Scott McGrory - Aitkens other half
Kerry Meares - dunno what shes done but must have been up there a fair bit
Scott Sunderland - anyone who's stayed at that level for so long needs a mention. Theres a western australian coming through with the same name who is going to be something special, spose he already is really. Would have over 20 Australian titles by now and hes only u17.

Too many to list. If Tasmania became independent of Australia we would probably have one of the best worlds medals to population ratios anywhere.
Jamo, Belinda Goss, Matt Goss, Luke Roberts, Matt Gilmore, Danny Clark would have a few there somewhere and they're only the current ones.
What about Gary Neiwand???? Sean Eadie????

Matt N said:
And then there's Kylie. OK, she may not ride a bike, but imagine if...
Spends most of her time in Pommy land. I'd rather claim Sean Fitzpatrick (rugby heads will know who I mean) to be an Aussie than Kylie Minogue.

tafi said:
Spends most of her time in Pommy land. I'd rather claim Sean Fitzpatrick (rugby heads will know who I mean) to be an Aussie than Kylie Minogue.

Phil Kearns first scrum for the Wallabies at Athletic Park in 1990....Fitzy gave him the biggest verbal touch-up ever. Awesome stuff, plus we went on to win!! :)

Spider1977 said:
Australians don't need to breed top notch sportsman. It just happens - must be the sun, sand and the fact we're as far away from pommie land as you can get! (lol)

I'd say it has a fair bit to do with the resources of the AIS development programs.

rayner said:
Theres a western australian coming through with the same name who is going to be something special, spose he already is really. Would have over 20 Australian titles by now and hes only u17.

Can't mention up and coming Australians without mentioning Will Walker. How about being 18 and beating a field including several professionals in the longest UCI classified race in the 2004 calendar??!?!?

Guess we should have all sat up and taken notice when he did that awesome ride to win the hardest round of the Bay crits in 2003(?). Incredible from such a young bloke.

I saw a 17 yo Dave McKenzie win the Forges criterium in Footscray in 1991 and thought that was pretty special....lol.

ed073 said:
Guess we should have all sat up and taken notice when he did that awesome ride to win the hardest round of the Bay crits in 2003(?).
After he won that round, he then attempted another solo victory the next day (or the one after?). Wasn't too far off pulling it off too. I watched him in the final stage of that series and he rode really well then as well. (At least he did when I wasn't staring at Robbie McEwen's wife).
After that, people started talking about his VO2max results - rumour has it that he is into the 90's!!!

patch70 said:
After he won that round, he then attempted another solo victory the next day (or the one after?). Wasn't too far off pulling it off too. I watched him in the final stage of that series and he rode really well then as well. (At least he did when I wasn't staring at Robbie McEwen's wife).
After that, people started talking about his VO2max results - rumour has it that he is into the 90's!!!

That's no rumour, it's the honest to god truth!

mitosis said:
Every heard of Australia? Yet another egocentric from the us.
Aren't Australians just criminal transplants from the UK?

Now get your ass over to the middle east and kill some Iraqis for us before I cancel the export of Levi jeans to you!

:) Just pull'in your chain 'MATE'

allanw said:
Aren't Australians just criminal transplants from the UK?

Now get your ass over to the middle east and kill some Iraqis for us before I cancel the export of Levi jeans to you!

:) Just pull'in your chain 'MATE'

So you do know a little about us. When i reread my post the comment was harsh. Apologies to those who have a worldly view. :)

The USA

:D =number of tdf's won (not all numbers accurate)
:) =good effort
Lance Armstrong:D :D :D :D :D :D (first to win six Tours)

Bobby Julich:)

Tyler Hamilton:):) :) :) :) (best ever breakaway)

Greg LeMond:D :D :D

All born and raised in the USA

Cyclist14 said:
The USA

:D =number of tdf's won (not all numbers accurate)
:) =good effort
Lance Armstrong:D :D :D :D :D :D (first to win six Tours)

Bobby Julich:)

Tyler Hamilton:):) :) :) :) (best ever breakaway)

Greg LeMond:D :D :D

Eddy Mercx:D :D :D :D :D

All born and raised in the USA

Are you drunk?? Do you even know who Eddy Merckx is?? :confused:

Roadie_scum said:
Can't mention up and coming Australians without mentioning Will Walker. How about being 18 and beating a field including several professionals in the longest UCI classified race in the 2004 calendar??!?!?
Speaking of youngsters (like me) what about Scott Sunderland from WA (U17) he won all 3 events at Nationals. This guy is a machine..........