What new bike do I need?

bgoetz

Nov 25, 2010
I am looking for the perfect all around commuter/kid bike, that I can throw in a unlocked garage and not worry about, that I can put a kid seat on, that I can just cruise to the store with my flip flops, that says I am a cyclist, that I can ride on a rainy day and not get too wet, and that can go off road on light dirt paths if wanted. I am thinking I may have to build a single speed cross bike with fenders, any suggestion on a frame that can be had fairly inexpensively and can be built into what I am looking for?

Yeah You got two options. Specialized makes a 13,000 dollar bike that pretty sweet.

Or you can buy a used ccm that fits the bill. I can overhaul the bottom bracket in 10-20 minutes, they can be had for 50 dollars used, they are rugged and last yet it wont get stolen.

Cant go wrong dude. I ride My ccm regularly on 35 mile trips and i go juat as fast and stable and all that **** as my expensive bike and i also overtake expensive bikes constantly and people wonder why i am so good and i say its because im smart and my posts are rad aweseome on cycling forums dot com

Yeah I have plenty of expensive race bikes, don't need another one of those. The ccm sounds interesting although I have never heard of them, guess I will google search it.

Are you from Canada? That is all that pops up is bikes from Canadian tire, lol.

they are sold in canada at canadian tire.

any department store bike will do, but buy it used you get ot for 10% of the cost of a new one and its simple to fix yourself

I am looking for something a bit more "special", like a old lugged steel frame. I have a old Specialized MTB that I am using now, so I would just stick with that before I would get a department store bike. I think single speed, cross tires, cross brakes (newer and I would do disc brakes), old school, and cheap.

Hillrider said:
your afraid to be too unnoticable your egos more important than the bike
Stay out of my thread with stupid **** like this! It has nothing to do with ego, I enjoy neat, different things. I will just assume ride my old beat Specialized as opposed to a box store bike, so why waste the $? Besides I have better ways to stroke my ego if I really felt the need. Thanks Felt!! I think that is exactly what I am after! Except I think I would like to try to build something just like it in a single speed using a old frame. Now to find the frame, my guess is I need a old touring frame.

Originally Posted by bgoetz .

I am looking for something a bit more "special", like a old lugged steel frame. I have a old Specialized MTB that I am using now, so I would just stick with that before I would get a department store bike.

I think single speed, cross tires, cross brakes (newer and I would do disc brakes), old school, and cheapthe
the way this post is worded leads to the reasoning that your ego needs alot of stroking

Hillrider said:
the way this post is worded leads to the reasoning that your ego needs alot of stroking
No, it's just the assumption that a troll like you would make.

...Thanks Felt!! I think that is exactly what I am after! Except I think I would like to try to build something just like it in a single speed using a old frame. Now to find the frame, my guess is I need a old touring frame.
I'd look for an old cyclocross single speed frame. That'll get you canti or min-V brake mounts plus horizontal dropouts which makes the single speed conversion process much easier from a chain tension standpoint.

-Dave

P.S. Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/On-One-Pompino-Cyclocross-Singlespeed-/141037753517?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item20d68154ad

Originally Posted by alienator .

No, it's just the assumption that a troll like you would make.
alienator, you are the most assuming and troll like person on here. the statement takes one to know one is an apt assessment.

Hillrider said:
Not sure how saying that I personally like old, neat, different things, says that, but think what you want. Thanks Dave, I bid on that earlier in the day!!!. I actually think I have a frame all lined up and it is cheaper, it is free!

The funniest thing is we are talking about a bike that I will ride in a town full of people who could care less what I am riding except to honk at me to get out of their way. I may pass 1 other cyclist on any given day. So who is stroking my ego?

Quote:Originally Posted by bgoetz .I am looking for something a bit more "special", like a old lugged steel frame. I have a old Specialized MTB that I am using now, so I would just stick with that before I would get a department store bike.

I think single speed, cross tires, cross brakes (newer and I would do disc brakes), old school, and cheap.

Old lugged steel frames are all over the place, and since we don't know where you live and probably don't live there anyway, you're in a better position to explore those sources than we are. But because you're asking, I'm going to presume that you really don't know how to search those sources, or you'll find some stuff but end up paying too much for it or buying stuff that is broken or really doesn't work together.. I'm going to suggest a trip to the local Trek store to try on a 7.1 FX, something relatively cheap and totally reliable and fun and easy to ride. Plus, it comes with a factory warranty and dealer support. That means people who have an active interest in your satisfaction. And you won't look like a douchebag in your flipflops unless you rotate the handlebars back so the levers are higher than your wrists.

Thanks bobcat. I do all of my own work on my bikes, but everything I do is new and simple to work on. When it comes to old stuff and single speed setups yeah, I am clueless. I have a good resource and have found a old free frame, so I think I am headed in the right direction.

The funniest thing is we are talking about a bike that I will ride in a town full of people who could care less what I am riding except to honk at me to get out of their way. I may pass 1 other cyclist on any given day. So who is stroking my ego?
Well the homeless guy might get jealous and think your an egotistical jerk if you have a nice bike and health to ride it and dont drop a few francs off for his barley?

differen't point of view from every angle

daveryanwyoming said:
I'd look for an old cyclocross single speed frame. That'll get you canti or min-V brake mounts plus horizontal dropouts which makes the single speed conversion process much easier from a chain tension standpoint. -Dave P.S. Something like this:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/On-One-Pompino-Cyclocross-Singlespeed-/141037753517?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item20d68154ad
Excellent option, as is a regular old road frame built up with something like White Industries' ENO Eccentric hub. I'm willing to bet that eBay is chock full of nice, used steel frames that would fit the bill.