What?? No '04 Record Carbon FD in 28.6mm?? Peter at Vecchio's (the Campy man)--you got an idea??

Eurastus

Guest
So...it appears that Campy has decided not to offer the new
'04 Record carbon front derailleur in a 28.6mm clamp
version. Well...unfortunately, that's just what I want and
the size I need. They offer the 28.6 clamp with the aluminum
cage, but no carbon.

I went ahead and purchased the braze-on version along with a
Problem Solvers
28.6 clamp. Yes, it will work, but looks rather clunky (to
me) and I'd rather have the smooth, integrated, Campy
clamp (yes, yes...call me kooky).

So...I gets ta' thinkin'...

What's to stop me from changing out the body of the braze-
on with the one from a 28.6 clamp model but with a
different cage?

I looked in the Campy small parts catalog and they do offer
the pieces I need (FD-RE220, 223, 110, and 111) aftermarket,
though a call to Campy USA resulted in the tech telling me
they are all out of these parts. Apparently, everyone else
has discovered this lack in Campy's product offering and
have bought up the four parts listed above and put them on
back-order through the rest of the year.

Well, it turns out that the clamp body I need is the same as
the '03 Record and the '03 and '04 Chorus as well...perhaps
even further back in time...

I have one of the aluminum-cage 28.6 Records on back-order
through Performance ($89 seems like a good price...but I'm
getting tired of the wait...now today they tell me it'll be
September). I had intended to swap the bodies.

Anyone out there got a cheap...maybe even used and
busted...Record or Chorus FD from the last several years
that has a 28.6 clamp still in good condition? Other ideas?

I suppose I'll use the Problem Solvers clamp and it'll get
me on the road at any rate. I feel I've got some time here
to get just what I'd like to have long-term, but I'd rather
do it right the first time. I've got another week to wait
for my wheels, so I've avoided mounting the FD so far,
hoping I'd get the one in from Performance and wouldn't have
to worry about scratching up the paint (Problem Solvers
clamp is a little rough and is out-of-round).

Ideas?

Thanks for your collective time...

sam-<< So...it appears that Campy has decided not to offer
the new '04 Record carbon front derailleur in a 28.6mm clamp
version. Well...unfortunately, that's just what I want and
the size I need. They offer the 28.6 clamp with the aluminum
cage, but no carbon. >><BR><BR>

Just have somebody that 'qui si parla Campagnolo' swap the
clamp. Get any Capagnolo front der in 28.6 and take the wee
bolt out and swap it. It is true that Campagnolo is moving
away from 28.6 front ders. Yoy can also use a 'problem
solvers' 28.6 clamp and a brazeon.

You can also use the clamp from a Mirage or Veloce, it is
secured with a c cli[p instead of a 3mm allen is all,
works fine.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Oh, I don't mind doing it myself; worked in one sort of bike
shop or another for over 10 years (though that stopped in
1991, after I graduated college). Gotta love that Pary Pro57
kit. It's got just about every tool a guy might want...

What you told me is exactly what I needed to know. That is
which models I can use. Thanks...

As I mentioned, I've already got a Problem Solvers adapter
(two in fact, the older two-bolt model and the newer
pivoting style as well--don't like either--very blocky and
both clamps are out of round).

I'll see what I can find in the way of older/cheaper/busted
cage clamps to swap.

Thanks for the confirmation,

Eurastus

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote:
>sam-<< So...it appears that Campy has decided not to offer
>the new '04 Record carbon front derailleur in a 28.6mm
>clamp version. Well...unfortunately, that's just what I
>want and the size I need. They offer the 28.6 clamp with
>the aluminum cage, but no carbon. >><BR><BR>
>
>Just have somebody that 'qui si parla Campagnolo' swap the
>clamp. Get any Capagnolo front der in 28.6 and take the wee
>bolt out and swap it. It is true that Campagnolo is moving
>away from 28.6 front ders. Yoy can also use a 'problem
>solvers' 28.6 clamp and a brazeon.
>
>You can also use the clamp from a Mirage or Veloce, it is
>secured with a c cli[p instead of a 3mm allen is all,
>works fine.
>
>Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St.
>Boulder, CO, 80302
>(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali
> costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Hi Peter, Does this switcheroo indeed work using the
Mirage/Veloce, or Centaur 28.6mm Clamp? Have you tried it?

I thought I was going to have to do the same thing myself a
short while back, needing a 28.6mm Clamp, and cannibalize a
cheaper FD, as I wanted to avoid Carbon like the plaque, yet
wanted the better sophistication of modern Record.

Luckily I later foaun the '03 record Units did come in
Aluminum.

To the original poster: this stuff pops up on abay all day
long. The brand new '03 Record 10-sp FD I got off ebay cost
me $26! Mark

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in
message news:<20040616090743.05570.00000078@mb-
m14.aol.com>...
> sam-<< So...it appears that Campy has decided not to offer
> the new '04 Record carbon front derailleur in a 28.6mm
> clamp version. Well...unfortunately, that's just what I
> want and the size I need. They offer the 28.6 clamp with
> the aluminum cage, but no carbon. >><BR><BR>
>
> Just have somebody that 'qui si parla Campagnolo' swap the
> clamp. Get any Capagnolo front der in 28.6 and take the
> wee bolt out and swap it. It is true that Campagnolo is
> moving away from 28.6 front ders. Yoy can also use a
> 'problem solvers' 28.6 clamp and a brazeon.
>
> You can also use the clamp from a Mirage or Veloce, it is
> secured with a c cli[p instead of a 3mm allen is all,
> works fine.
>
> Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St.
> Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali
> costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Well, Gentlemen, (and Ladies, should there be any...and I
hope there are. I'm doing my part by having my daughter take
care of all her own bike repair work--closely supervised you
can be sure).

So...I scoured eBay for any recent Campy 28.6 clamp fronts,
preferring Record, Chorus, or Centaur (bolt style) over
Mirage or Veloce (C-clip style). I found no bolts, but
happened on a Veloce 9-speed for $19 from a shop in Miami. I
bought it and began the wait for ground shipping from
Florida to the west coast.

Then, the very next day, I see a new posting for a 28.6
Centaur (silver clamp, not the new horrid grey) 10-speed
from s shop in the San Francisco area at $24. So...I jumped
on that one too. It actually should arrive several days
earlier then the now un-wanted Veloce.

I've already got the Record braze-on dissambled (rather easy
job, that), and eagerly waiting on the postman...

Thanks for the good advice...and does anyone need a brand-
new 9-speed Veloce FD with 28.6mm clamp or a like-wise new
Centaur 10-speed braze-on?

Seriously, I may just sit on all these front derailleurs and
use them up for parts...

Oh, and all of these are temporary anyway, as I intend to
snap up those newly-announced Campy Record CT Carbon cranks
and it's associated FD with the adapted cage shape as soon
as they both come out...seems like the latest word was
September. I may well be doing the clamp-swap again!!

Thanks got your help...and let's spread this "trick" to the
rest of the Campyphiles who could benifit!!

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote:
>sam-<< So...it appears that Campy has decided not to offer
>the new '04 Record carbon front derailleur in a 28.6mm
>clamp version. Well...unfortunately, that's just what I
>want and the size I need. They offer the 28.6 clamp with
>the aluminum cage, but no carbon. >><BR><BR>
>
>Just have somebody that 'qui si parla Campagnolo' swap the
>clamp. Get any Capagnolo front der in 28.6 and take the wee
>bolt out and swap it. It is true that Campagnolo is moving
>away from 28.6 front ders. Yoy can also use a 'problem
>solvers' 28.6 clamp and a brazeon.
>
>You can also use the clamp from a Mirage or Veloce, it is
>secured with a c cli[p instead of a 3mm allen is all,
>works fine.
>
>Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St.
>Boulder, CO, 80302
>(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali
> costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Yea, I know you don't "need" one. But might be fun just the
same to see if there's any shifting improvement...