What organized rides r u planning on doing in 2003

Bill In Indiana

Guest
For me it is TOMRV (Iowa) , Hilly Hundred, Hoosier Hills, Ride across
IN., Local Century and a few other more obscure organized rides.

Bill in Indiana

GITAP (Illinois), TRIRI (Indiana), TOSRV (Ohio), Horsey Hundred (Kentucky), Old Kentucky Home Tour
(Kentucky), along with Hilly Hundred and RAIN. Possibly DALMAC (Michigan) again as well, but I'm
really not crazy about waiting until late in the day to take the organized shuttle back to the
start, along with wondering how they'll handle my trike. But it is a good ride, and riding across
that bridge is a real thrill.

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

Larry, When is Horsey Hundred in KY? bill g

Larry Varney wrote:

> GITAP (Illinois), TRIRI (Indiana), TOSRV (Ohio), Horsey Hundred (Kentucky), Old Kentucky Home
> Tour (Kentucky), along with Hilly Hundred and RAIN. Possibly DALMAC (Michigan) again as well,
> but I'm really not crazy about waiting until late in the day to take the organized shuttle back
> to the start, along with wondering how they'll handle my trike. But it is a good ride, and
> riding across that bridge is a real thrill.
>
> Bill in Indiana wrote:
> > For me it is TOMRV (Iowa) , Hilly Hundred, Hoosier Hills, Ride across
> > IN., Local Century and a few other more obscure organized rides.
> >
> > Bill in Indiana
> >

> --
> Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

I live for RAGBRAI each year, this being number 13. But I have also done SAGBRAW the last 2 years
and really have gotten to like that type of ride as I get older. I'll be there again this year. A
group of us are looking at doing the Indiana ride next year ( I don't know the name of it).

Jim Vincent RANS Screamer - Vision R50

The Horsey is May 23-25. Check out http://www.bgcycling.org/horsey/ . And for those of you who
subscribe to Adventure Cycling, the Bike Friday ad on page 17 of the current issue is a picture from
last year's Horsey. It really is a good ride. Lots of routes, pretty country, economical
- I can't think of anything bad about it at all.

"Jim V." <[email protected]> wrote in news:3e83bfa1_3@newsfeed:

> I live for RAGBRAI each year, this being number 13. But I have also done SAGBRAW the last 2 years
> and really have gotten to like that type of ride as I get older. I'll be there again this year. A
> group of us are looking at doing the Indiana ride next year ( I don't know the name of it).
>
> Jim Vincent RANS Screamer - Vision R50

TRIRI - Touring Ride in Rural Indiana

The Old Crown Challenge. Durham to Hesket Newmarket, return the following day. The pub ride with
altitude...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Oklahoma Freewheel (cross state ride) Hotter 'n Hell 100 Tour de Tulsa Great Tulsa Bike Ride Midwest
Recumbent Rally Tulsa Bicycle Club Fall Century

Derek

Larry Varney <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> The Horsey is May 23-25. Check out http://www.bgcycling.org/horsey/ . ... It really is a good
> ride. Lots of routes, pretty country, economical
> - I can't think of anything bad about it at all.

I can. It's too far away from Michigan. You think they could move Kentucky to the Lansing area?
Other than that, I agree with Larry, it's a great ride. I think I could count on one hand the cars I
saw on the route.

"Bill in Indiana" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> For me it is TOMRV (Iowa) , Hilly Hundred, Hoosier Hills, Ride across
> IN., Local Century and a few other more obscure organized rides.
>
> Bill in Indiana

Portland, Oregon area-

May 3: RACC- Ride Around Clark County May 4: Monster Cookie May 24-26: Human Powered Challenge 2003,
Portland International Raceway Jun. 14: PWTC Spring Century http://www.pwtc.com/event.html Jun. 21:
9AM Ja-Va-La-Va http://home.pacifier.com/~jwills/rides/rides.htm#Java_Java Jun. 29: Mt. Tabor
criterium Jul. 5: 8AM Bridge of the Gods Jul. 12-13: STP http://www.cascade.org/EandR/STP.cfm Jul.
19: 9AM RARE http://www.ohpv.org/ride_details/rare.htm Jul. 26: Summit to Surf Aug. 15-17: annual
OHPV Recumbent Retreat http://www.spiritone.com/%7Eohyes/ Aug. 23: PWTC Torture 10,000
http://www.pwtc.com/event.html Sept. 7-13 Cycle Oregon !!! http://www.cycleoregon.com

and then we rest.

Jeff

That's probably because you were going faster than any cars that might have been behind you
. And as for things being just a bit too far away, especially if it's just a weekend event: the
Hostel Shoppe Recumbent Rally falls into that category for me. I'd love to ride it, but it's a
long way from the Cincinnati area.

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

So far this year I have signed up for

Delta Century in Stockton may 4 AMBBR (Lake Tahoe) first weekend in June Sierra Century the next
weekend out of Plymouth CA

Will be riding my Stratus or the new EZ Tandem at all of these... I'd be happy to meet up with any
other riders doing these rides

Mike

Kent Peterson wrote:

> I've got very little interest in organized rides, but I am planning on doing at least one
> moderately disorganized ride:...

Kent is just getting warmed up after 100 miles of riding, so most organized rides are too short
for him. ;)

Larry Varney wrote:

> . And as for things being just a bit too far away, especially if it's just a weekend event: the
> Hostel Shoppe Recumbent Rally falls into that category for me. I'd love to ride it, but it's a
> long way from the Cincinnati area.

Funny you should mention that. I'm planning on doing the HS's Recumbent Rally this year. It'll be my
first time. It's even a long drive for me, considering I can't drive across the lake! I'm also doing
DALMAC (again, only my 16th time going on the trip,) and SummerTour. I'll probably have a few
century rides peppered here and there on the calendar, too.

"John Foltz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Funny you should mention that. I'm planning on doing the HS's Recumbent Rally this year. It'll be
> my first time. It's even a long drive for me, considering I can't drive across the lake!> --
>
> John Foltz --- O _ Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24/63 --- _\\/\-%)
> _________(_)`=()___________________(_)= (_)_____

John, is there still ferry service from Muskegon to Green Bay or Manitowoc? That would make a nice
pause in the peddling, no?

rich, remembering his vacations in MI during the 50's and 60's

Rich Westerman wrote:

> John, is there still ferry service from Muskegon to Green Bay or Manitowoc? That would make a
> nice pause in the peddling, no?
>
> rich, remembering his vacations in MI during the 50's and 60's

Yes, the SS Badger is still running from Ludington to Manitowoc. Unless I truly hated the drive,
which I don't, the econonomics of taking the boat just don't make any sense. Besides, departure
from Ludington would be at 8:00am, which would mean an overnight, or leaving my house at 5:00am.
No thanks!

Other than the Chicago area, it's not a bad drive.

Having done many organized bike tours in the past few years I have come to the conclusion that they
are about as much fun as death warmed over. I fully intend never to do another organized bike tour
so long as I shall live. The only way to go is on your own by yourself where you can be totally
independent.

At first I enjoyed the company of other cyclists and all the different kinds of bikes, but after a
few years it all became deja vu. Frankly I do not like to be herded about and I do not like crowds.
After you have done a few bike tours, they all began to resemble one another. How some of you can be
doing so many bike tours year after year is beyond me. In any event, I feel sorry for all of you who
think this is a fun thing to do. But Godspeed and be careful out there.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Here's my list for 2003: TOSRV (Ohio) Metro Grand Spring Tour Tour de Lakes One Helluva Ride MS 150
BDBT in Wisconsin Assenmacher 100 DALMAC #7 for me Apple Cider Century Blue Water Ramble

The Hostelshoppe event would be great, maybe hire a bus from Lansing, eh Foltz?

Brad

"Bill in Indiana" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> For me it is TOMRV (Iowa) , Hilly Hundred, Hoosier Hills, Ride across
> IN., Local Century and a few other more obscure organized rides.
>
> Bill in Indiana

Rides I'm doing in Arizona

April 12 - El Tour de Phoenix - 70 miles - http://www.pbaa.com/Home.html April 19 - Desert Classic
2003 - 75 miles - http://azbikeclub.r.m6.net/DC03.PDF May 17 - 2nd Annual Tour de Payson - 45 miles