What other benefits you get from riding aside from physical exercise?

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
I took up serious riding when we moved here in our village in 2001. What I meant by serious is that I bought my own bike for regular use. There were times that I come home early that I could ride before dinner time although my usual schedule is weekend mornings. The physical exertion gave me strength and a feeling that I am strong.

But aside from the exercise, I realized that I also have the benefit of socializing since bikers are mostly friendly and just the mere presence of your bike could spark a casual conversation. Now I have many casual acquaintances in the oval park where I ride, not only bikers but also the aerobic dancers and the joggers as well.

Socializing is important, physical exercise is important too, but the best is really to do what we love.

Reactions: grendy
There are two benefits I have noticed since I started riding that weren't physical.

1 - Independence. I know it's small but I can't drive and for some time I was dependent on buses and carpools. Some days, I would fancy going somewhere unrelated to work or responsibilities, and decide against going because using the bus to get there put me off. Now I have my own transport that I love, I can go anywhere I want whenever I want with a small amount of preparation.

2 - Mental health. Perhaps it's intertwined with the independence thing, but riding makes me feel happy. At the end of a ride, I feel I've accomplished something.

Reactions: oportosanto
Yeah, that's something important and it feels really great to be independent from the car, good point!

I have to agree with Veater on this one! Where I live, having a bicycle doesn't really give many socialization opportunities - people don't want to talk with you just because you have one, and there aren't any cycling groups that I know of that aren't centered on motorcycles - but it's a small enough town that it's possible to get around on bike alone if you can't drive (like I can't), and the exercise really helps with my stress and anxiety disorders, and keeps me from being so sedentary that my depression starts setting in again.

It might depend on the area, where I live we have quite a few bike events where people socialize a lot.

Riding really helps me with managing my daily schedule - each trip on weekdays takes a certain time before work or after. So I plan my day without undefined time intervals spent on public transport. It saves me a lot of time and nerves considering bad situation with traffic in my town. Also, I know exactly how much minutes it takes for me to ride from home to work and back.

It's a really good alternative to antidepressants, because I use biking and even just taking long walks to take my mind off of my worries, even for just a little while. It's a great feeling, when the fresh air hits your face, when you get to see the sights, and you get to see people living their lives. It's a pretty good experience, and it helps with my troubles even for just a few times weekly.

Well... if you put it like that I just say ride ride ride, no question that it's better than anti-depressants!

Well, aside health benefits. The other obvious benefit obtained by Riding a bicycle is more environmentally friendly than conventional public transportation and of course personal internal combustion engine vehicles such as cars and bikes. Also is a stress reliever for some people and a good way to venture wilderness wood trails. The social benefit is another obvious one but almost every other kind of activities have also community niches willing to accept newcomers.

Yep, nothing to lose, a lot to win really, so what is everyone riding the car waiting for? :)

That depends on who you are riding with. Once I was with a friend and he simply disappeared after long miles ride, so not big confidence really.

Peace and quiet. Time away from all the usual stresses and strains of everyday life, thaeyre also things that I can take out of cycling aswell as the physical exercise aspects of it.

I think we all need a break sometimes, and I'm sure that a lot of us will go for a ride to clear outmr minds and blow the cobwebs away so to speak.

I actually 'enjoy' cycling. It kinda releases dopamine in my brain and I enjoy it. It's also proven that it's the best exercise that one can do to keep their joints healthy and prevents us from the diseases like arthritis. Cycling is really like a boon for me.

Reactions: oportosanto
I love getting together with other cyclists and just having a good time, getting away from the normal routine, sharing ideas and generally just exploring.

I took up serious riding when we moved here in our village in 2001. What I meant by serious is that I bought my own bike for regular use. There were times that I come home early that I could ride before dinner time although my usual schedule is weekend mornings. The physical exertion gave me strength and a feeling that I am strong.

But aside from the exercise, I realized that I also have the benefit of socializing since bikers are mostly friendly and just the mere presence of your bike could spark a casual conversation. Now I have many casual acquaintances in the oval park where I ride, not only bikers but also the aerobic dancers and the joggers as well.

I Just love being outdoors! There's nothing like feeling free and enjoying nature. It also gives me a chance to clear my head and refocus myself

Yeah, clearing the head is great, whenever I get back home from riding I deal with the kids and wife way better. :)

It gets you moving your body while you move, and more importantly, there's that degree of travel independence that you can't get any other way. Of course the physical benefits are there, but the best part is just being able to hop on your bike and make it out 20 miles if you really want, no car, no stops, no hassle. Just you, a pack & the bike.