What Other Type Of Exercise Do You Do To Supplement Your Cycling?

DarkStarling

Sep 13, 2015
In the summer I usually swim quiet a bit, and go out running too, and it seems to help quite a bit in developing my lung capacity, since that seems to be the area that I struggle with, rather than the leg strength. I also do core exercises, sit-ups, the plank, a lot of static movements to develop my lower back and stomach since it seems to help a lot when I go out for really long stretches of cycling. Do you do anything else than cycling and how does it relate or improve your ability to cycle? Does going to the gym help any of you?

Reactions: foxnhedgehog
After some spins inside the village park in the early morning, I would rest by the side where some bikers are chatting, checking their bikes and some are doing some stretching exercises. One biker said that stretching is good to avoid having a pulled muscle. But there was one who I always see doing push ups. He was preparing for an event, he said.

For my own exercise, I was doing lots of situps. But I usually do it after biking and not before. And for some tedious exercise, I have the small dumbbell to develop my arms.

Not exactly to supplement, but also because I love it. I also play tennis and run, but I don't run that much because I don't have time available.

I doubt it's to supplement it as I never thought of it that way, but I do about, or try to do about, 20 push-ups every evening to get my body working and the blood pumping.

I would like to do some weight lifting from home but I'm at that stage of trying to find a good routine I could do.

I do walking early in the morning to keep my legs fit and on the go. Sometimes I jog too if I feel like I want to force my legs instead of doing a brisk walk. These two are good for me as they provide the same leg exercise that I get from cycling.

I complement my cycling workouts with yoga, mobilty work and foam rolling sessions. I also do a lot of kettlebell swings and believe it or not it helped me with my cycling and running endurance. I think they call it the WTH ( what the hell effect). Be careful not to overdo your cross training tho, if you concentrate too much on other workouts, your cycling can suffer so figure out the right balance for you :)

I really enjoy swimming and pilates. I run as well but I don't enjoy that haha.

Swimming is a good counterpoint to cycling because it's so low impact, which after a day riding on rough terrain can be really nice. It's a whole body workout that doesn't put too much strain on your joints and I find it very relaxing.

Pilates I enjoy because it's like a more intense version of yoga...yoga was way too slow for me so it makes a good middle ground. I really need to work on some toning too and it's great for that.

I complement my cycling workouts with yoga, mobilty work and foam rolling sessions. I also do a lot of kettlebell swings and believe it or not it helped me with my cycling and running endurance. I think they call it the WTH ( what the hell effect). Be careful not to overdo your cross training tho, if you concentrate too much on other workouts, your cycling can suffer so figure out the right balance for you :)
That's a good this. Yoga is very essential for good health. By the way, do you practis basic leg streaching?

After some spins inside the village park in the early morning, I would rest by the side where some bikers are chatting, checking their bikes and some are doing some stretching exercises. One biker said that stretching is good to avoid having a pulled muscle. But there was one who I always see doing push ups. He was preparing for an event, he said.

For my own exercise, I was doing lots of situps. But I usually do it after biking and not before. And for some tedious exercise, I have the small dumbbell to develop my arms.
I agree with you. Streching is the best you to keep your muscle active. Every cyclist must practise streching.

I do a lot of different exercise. I like to stay as fit as possible. That's not to say that I'm some well trained athlete or in a perfect shape, because I'm definitely not. I am working on it though. I do a lot of cardio work on the treadmill. I also a bit of weightlifting. Nothing hardcore though. I'll use the bikes at the gym as well and do some light cardio during the week, as most of my cycling takes place on the weekends as that's when I typically have time for it. Also do a bit of bench pressing, calf exercises, crunches and sit ups.

I agree with you. Streching is the best you to keep your muscle active. Every cyclist must practise streching.

There was a time when I was in the village park and some bikers were resting near me. I heard them talking about lifting weights, that cyclists are like swimmers who should not be lifting weights for it would ruin their muscles. I haven't asked anyone on the truth about it but those cyclists seemed to have agreed. Maybe the speed is affected when you build heavy muscles by lifting weights?

I reckon doing some leg exercises should be somewhat beneficial...Especially when trying to get some pedal power.

I do weight training apart from biking. Weight training has been my favorite most workout. I selected biking because it's easy on my knees as I'm a tall, overweight guy. I only go ride my bike twice a week for less than 4 km in all. It makes me feeling fit. I don't do squats but do a lot of leg presses.

I enjoy jogging as well as cycling, but I do them because I enjoy it not so much for exercise but that's a plus at least.

I always keep myself fit.I go to the gym daily for this. Well, if you want to be a better cyclist, the only thing that you need to do is to keep yourself fit. You can do meditation, pranayama, exercise for that. I do cardio, weight lifting and many other things at the gym and I think these things are very important for me.

In the summer I usually swim quiet a bit, and go out running too, and it seems to help quite a bit in developing my lung capacity, since that seems to be the area that I struggle with, rather than the leg strength. I also do core exercises, sit-ups, the plank, a lot of static movements to develop my lower back and stomach since it seems to help a lot when I go out for really long stretches of cycling. Do you do anything else than cycling and how does it relate or improve your ability to cycle? Does going to the gym help any of you?
I've been starting to do yoga. It involves a lot of stretching, which is obviously good before any kind of exercise. I've actually started to feel a lot better in general since I started it.

I find that any exercises helps my endurance for biking. It doesn't necessarily have to be a cardio based exercise. In particular though, I notice that after working my legs, my riding will be stronger as long as I give myself a rest day. I do not recommend riding on the day of or after leg day! That's a recipe for trouble.

I find that any exercises helps my endurance for biking. It doesn't necessarily have to be a cardio based exercise. In particular though, I notice that after working my legs, my riding will be stronger as long as I give myself a rest day. I do not recommend riding on the day of or after leg day! That's a recipe for trouble.
Leg exercises definitely make a lot of sense! That's something I should start trying out. What kind of exercises do you do?