What others sports besides cycling do you do?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Lazy legs, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Lazy legs

Lazy legs New Member

OK, so besides cycling what other sports do you do? Or what sports did you do before cycling?

At the moment I play (try) golf, and now and then I fit a game of squash into my schedule as well.

I used to do pistol shooting, got provincial and national colors in '94. It got to expensive so I stopped shooting in '98.

Tags:

2. Vo2

Vo2 Member

League paintballer here.
    I find it a great way to "relax". It's one of those sports that allows you to completely "disconnect" from the outside world while playing. I get some good X-training from it aswell.

3. szr660

szr660 New Member

Badminton, Squash, in fact anything with a raquet I'm in there! Used to surf and sail when I lived in Australia, but now exciled in the UK for the time being, so don't do those ones.

And of course motorcycles - but they are far more important than life and death!!

4. Duckwah

Duckwah New Member

I do heaps of weight training and i try to fence when i'm not either road riding or mountain biking

basically riding has completely taken over my life this year to the point that the only people i see are other riders!!

5. Kupa

Kupa New Member

Motorcycling- It's sport bike heaven here in the Santa Cruz mountains.

Boxing- A great way to get an upper body anaerobic workout.

Wrenching and fabricating- I have a high horsepower turbo-charged German hot-rod with high maintenance needs. I dig working on the car and then driving it in the twisties. I also do a lot of weldling/metal work and really enjoy fabricating stuff for my ride or my friends rides.

6. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Guest

I push wood, aka play chess. Also, I'm an avid player of pocket billiards; I also engage in bullseye shooting with a Colt 45 pistol.

7. Jonny

Jonny New Member

I used to play Rugby Union b4 i smashed my collarbone into 3 pieces and had a metal plate(titanium) installed!
    Im planning on getting a litespeed to match the rest of my outfit in the future:D

Jonny

8. RalleighOke

RalleighOke New Member

I played Action Cricket. Nice way to stay fit and "blik..." a few frustrations out.

9. XC Racer

XC Racer New Member

I play Field Hockey whenever i'm not on the trail.

LOL @ Jonny
    Hope you don't go through metal detecters to often!!

10. BjornChristian

BjornChristian New Member

I'm a keen tennis player, but mostly motorsport -- I co-drive for a professional rally team.

In fact, I've been accused of cycling solely to stay fit for rallying. Which is untrue.

See http://www.christianedstrom.com

Cheers,
    - Christian

11. RalleighOke

RalleighOke New Member

Hey BjornChristian,

You forgot to mention in your profile that for 2005 you're going to do the Tour de France.

;) :D

12. daniel wren

daniel wren New Member

walk with the boy

13. Lazy legs

Lazy legs New Member

Will they allow him to do the TDF in a rally car. :D :confused:

14. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Damn, I know you from TV! Guys, we have a pro rally driver on board! WE HAVE A PRO RALLY DRIVER ON BOARD!
    Welcome Chris, hope you pop in regulary. We'll help you with the fitness in exchange for some driving tips.

Stats - Christian Edstrom

1999 National G2 & 2WD Open 2nd Place Co-Driver
    1998 National G2 & 2WD Open 2nd Place Co-Driver

Christian was born in Gavle, Sweden. He has been a rally co-driver since 1997. He has previously co-driven for SCCA driver Bill Malik, with whom he twice placed second in the SCCA 2WD Open championship. Christian also co-drove Mark Nelson to a 10th place overall finish in the 2001 Rim of the World Rally.

For 2002, Christian contested both the SCCA (US) and CARS (Canadian) Championships, as well as co-driving in selected rounds of the WRC Gr. N championship. Christian attended the Jakke Honkanen Int'l Co-Driving Education Program, in Loppi, Finland. Christian is sponsored by Timefactors.com, a Sheffield, UK-based retailer of quality timepieces.

Christian is employed as a consultant and project manager for Corio, Inc., a San Carlos, California-based Application Service Provider. He lives in New York City, with his fiancee Ivy. In addition to rallying, Christian enjoys motorcycling, tennis, and gardening.

Hope these stats are up to date?

15. Lazy legs

Lazy legs New Member

Nice to have pro's from other sports joining us! I suppose just about all of them spend quite a lot of time on bicycles to get fit, even if it's on a trainer in the gym. Would be interesting to see how many hours professional sports people spend on trainers?
    BTW I visited Christian’s site, gr8!

16. mikegroom

mikegroom New Member

I've just started really enjoying riding my bike (hybrid). mainly commuting to work, but will start some longer rides on the weekend to keep fit. I also play water polo (on a between season break at the moment) hopefully we'll be kicking off our winter season in a few weeks.

cheers,
    Mike

17. daunce

daunce New Member

Just stopped playing indoor cricket, play indoor netball, swim and run. plus a session doing weights at the gym. and then try and bring it all together to do triathlons.

18. RalleighOke

RalleighOke New Member

Can you imagine. One Rally car slipstreamed by all the cyclist. It's will be a very fast TDF. :p

Now if only we can get the F1 guys on board as well

:D

19. Leon

Leon New Member

I windsurf. A good alternative to cycling when the wind is blowing or is that cycling a good alternative when the wind is not blowing ?

Anyway they complement each other nicely.

Leon

20. patch70

patch70 New Member

Swimming, running, occasional weights training, skiing.