What others sports besides cycling do you do?

Originally posted by Vo2
Welcome Chris, hope you pop in regulary. We'll help you with the fitness in exchange for some driving tips.
Hope these stats are up to date?

Hi Vo2,

Thanks for the hearty welcome. Stats are mostly up to date -- the fiancee is now my wife, so that went off ok, and for 2003, I'm actually working for Team Mitsubishi Motorsports America, co-driving with Lauchlin O'Sullivan in the #6 car.

We're off to the Pikes Peak Hillclimb later today, but we're hoping to rent some mountain bikes after practice on Wednesday or Thursday. Pretty much all of us are keen cyclists, though I prefer the road variety.

I'm very curious to the effects of altitude as the top of Pikes Peak is over 14,000 feet (4,000m+), so we'll see how that goes. Last year, apparently, some of the drivers used supplemental oxygen! I'm hoping that sufficient training, even at low altitudes should keep me in pretty good shape though. That and 5 liters of water per day.

Anyway, off to vacuum the apartment before leaving...

Cheers,
- Christian

ObBike comment: Rode in Central Park, NYC last night, and my ride is a:
2003 Rivendell Rambouillet, with TA, Mavic, Shimano...

Iron supplements, cooking in cast-iron, folic acid and B12 may aid in increased red blood cell production - supplements that ward off anemia and improve the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood..

I've been an avid weightlifter for the last 17 years. I became interested in biking several months ago. Incredible leg workouts, been fortunate enough to meet a lot of good people. I'm very tired of the "meathead" gym mentality. I just did my first century ride last weekend in Malibu, CA. Great sport and people, I'm hooked.

Kupa: "Wrenching and fabricating- I have a high horsepower turbo-charged German hot-rod with high maintenance needs. I dig working on the car and then driving it in the twisties. I also do a lot of weldling/metal work and really enjoy fabricating stuff for my ride or my friends rides."

Hey man, what German made hot rod do you own? I own/operate a BMW part biz here in the US.
I use to play baseball, hockey, and football (us), now pretty much a slave to my bike, which is my means of daily commuting. Pretty ironic that an auto mechanic parts guy rides a bike; typical Cobbler's kid. Cheers-Joltron

billiards, swimming, MTB-ing, running, skiing/snowblading

Like your site, Christian!

Being a Canuck I play ice hockey twice a week. Suprisingly, hockey does exist in Augusta, Georgia. Great cross training and found it has helped me out with my sprinting, although it also requires more recovery time. Any other Hockey bikers out there?

I windsurf too. And Leon, you're right, it is a nice complement to biking. If I'm on a windsurfing trip, I take the bike so I can ride it on the no wind days. In the winter, it's all about skiing but I do mt bike year 'round.

Originally posted by wamara
Being a Canuck I play ice hockey twice a week. Suprisingly, hockey does exist in Augusta, Georgia. Great cross training and found it has helped me out with my sprinting, although it also requires more recovery time. Any other Hockey bikers out there?

Yeah, I've played Ice Hockey since I was 8yrs old. Since I live in Colo I'm also big into Snowboarding/Skiing in the winter and backpacking in the summer. I used to be a long distance runner, but gave that up. It's pretty much the Bike, Snowboard and Skates for me now. I wonder why I still have skinny legs then...?

Dave

Cool, I love Rally Races.

Wanted to build a Rally Car (from an 1988 Nissan 200sx) but my financial situation changed.......for the worse.....getting better now tho.

As far as other sports, not going to happen, have a bad knee, and cycling is the only thing I can do that won't tear it back open.
(Had a fight with a skill saw - it won..lol)

I am however a gamer - aka I play computer games - not into the newer games but I have Tomb Raider 2, Nascar Racing 2, Age of Empires, AOE 2 Kings, AOE 2 Conquerors, 4x4 Evo 2, and Rainbow6(which has stopped working for some reason)

I also rebuild older computers (mostly P2 and AMD K6-2)

Originally posted by Randal Lovelace

I am however a gamer - aka I play computer games - not into the newer games but I have Tomb Raider 2, Nascar Racing 2, Age of Empires, AOE 2 Kings, AOE 2 Conquerors, 4x4 Evo 2, and Rainbow6(which has stopped working for some reason)

I also rebuild older computers (mostly P2 and AMD K6-2)

RL, before "Rainbow 6" packed up, how did you find it? I'm a great Tom Clancy fan (read all of his books) and was looking at getting the game but wasn't sure. Would you recomend it?

I'm also into pc games, enjoy Screamer 4x4, Colin McRae (old but still working for me). Get's me into trouble with the missus though! :(

Actually was a quebec nordique fan aka colorado avalanche. I love hockey. Toronto fans are diehard.

Originally posted by heater
Not if you're a Leafs fan ;) :p

Lazy legs and Randal:
God bless the computer nerds! I don't know if Christian is still around, but if you are, what do you think of Colin McRae rally 3?

Played Football through college (US football) tried to go further with it, but didn't have what it takes apparently. I love snowboarding and mountain bikes. Tried hockey when I lived in CO, but ended up face down slightly more than when I ride so I moved on. Love the game though! I'm a Penguins fan, don't laugh. Super Mario will show us the way. He just won't have any help doing it. I lift a little still, but don't feel like I need to play atlas or anything. I am on a pistol shooting team and getting pretty good at that. The others on the team are really helping me come along.

Bjorn, this will show some of my ignorance, but Rally? That is the racing that is on mostly dirt roads at amazing speeds around and up and down? If so: much, much repsect to you for being able to perform at that high a level at anything let alone something that can be that demanding of mental concentration. I bet it's a hell of an adreneline rush. I would love to be able to try and drive a car like that! I'd probably fly off a cliff and pull a much less dramatic "Thelma and Louise." Take care.

K.

Originally posted by AlecLager
Lazy legs and Randal:
God bless the computer nerds! I don't know if Christian is still around, but if you are, what do you think of Colin McRae rally 3?
AL, I haven't got CMR3, but love CMR2. Got all th ecars and love looking for new shortcuts. Don't know how 2 & 3 compare to each other but I still play it quite often.

ireman_1, what kind of pistol shooting do you do? I used to shoot manny moons ago, but it got to expensive for me to cary on.

I started just doing a "regular" league type thing. You know, a certain number of rounds at each target, varying distances, varied stances, etc. I have recently started doing IDPA matches and some other "reality" based matches that focus on real world situations and skills with real world guns. Those $4000 specialty guns with optics are not allowed since not too many people walk around with them when they carry. I, typically, shoot a kimber Pro tactical or CDP. I've been thinking of saving for a Wilson CQB, but it is not a priority since my kimbers are sub 2" (about 1.5" when viced) guns already. Most of that is similar to the certifications I have to do for work once a year while the league is similar to the quarterly certifications. So I started out sort of familiar with the formats. It is expensive and I will have to decide, soon, if I want to continue or not. I will likely keep doing the reality based matches and none of the other. I have not won any matches yet, but I did get most improved the first year and last time I made it to third place in my division. Take care.

K.