What Pedals was Gutierrez using?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Camp9, Jul 6, 2003.

  1. Camp9

    Camp9 Guest

    When he pulled out of them today.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, camp9 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >When he pulled out of them today.

    From cyclingnews.com:

    The crash was precipitated by Jose Enrique Gutierrez (Kelme), who lost control after being pushed
    by a Cofidis rider as the peloton wound up for a bunch sprint.

    So it was not a pedal problem. You can kind of see the Cofidis rider getting up into Gutierrez in
    the OLN coverage as they come around the turn.

    --
    Mike Iglesias Email: [email protected] University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
    Network & Academic Computing Services FAX: 949-824-2069

  3. Wade Summers

    Wade Summers Guest

    "Mike Iglesias" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, camp9 <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >When he pulled out of them today.
    >
    > From cyclingnews.com:
    >
    > The crash was precipitated by Jose Enrique Gutierrez (Kelme), who lost control after being
    > pushed by a Cofidis rider as the peloton wound up for a bunch sprint.
    >
    > So it was not a pedal problem. You can kind of see the Cofidis rider
    getting
    > up into Gutierrez in the OLN coverage as they come around the turn.

    You can also see his rear wheel sliding out before he unclips...

    Wade

  4. "Mike Iglesias" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, camp9 <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >When he pulled out of them today.
    >
    > From cyclingnews.com:
    >
    > The crash was precipitated by Jose Enrique Gutierrez (Kelme), who lost control after being
    > pushed by a Cofidis rider as the peloton wound up for a bunch sprint.
    >
    > So it was not a pedal problem. You can kind of see the Cofidis rider
    getting
    > up into Gutierrez in the OLN coverage as they come around the turn.

    Yup, just got through doing the super-slow thing on the VCR and it looked like the Cofidis rider
    (Mederic Clain?) dove under Gutierrez and his left hip caught the Kelme rider's handlebar. You
    could see from the shot prior to the corner that he'd come from way back up the left side and hit
    the corner in full banzai mode. Would've been impressive if he hadn't taken half the podium
    contenders down. De Galdeano's comment I saw is right; basically that people with no hope of
    winning a sprint in that company need to stay the hell out of the way and let the guys who get paid
    for that do their jobs.

    SB

  5. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > > >When he pulled out of them today.
    > >
    > > From cyclingnews.com:
    > >
    > > The crash was precipitated by Jose Enrique Gutierrez (Kelme), who lost control after being
    > > pushed by a Cofidis rider as the peloton wound up for a bunch sprint.
    > >
    > > So it was not a pedal problem. You can kind of see the Cofidis rider
    > getting
    > > up into Gutierrez in the OLN coverage as they come around the turn.
    >
    > Yup, just got through doing the super-slow thing on the VCR and it looked like the Cofidis rider
    > (Mederic Clain?) dove under Gutierrez and his left hip caught the Kelme rider's handlebar. You
    > could see from the shot prior to the corner that he'd come from way back up the left side and hit
    > the corner in full banzai mode. Would've been impressive if he hadn't taken half the podium
    > contenders down. De Galdeano's comment I saw is right; basically that people with no hope of
    > winning a sprint in that company
    need
    > to stay the hell out of the way and let the guys who get paid for that do their jobs.
    >
    > SB

    That stunt today reminded me of a Cat 4/5 field sprint... Hey, I wanna get 20th instead of 30th, so
    I'm going to banzai into the last corner. Oops, there go my wheels, and there goes half the field!

    I've seen WAY too many of those.

    Mike

  6. Peter Vesel

    Peter Vesel Guest

    Who was the Euskatel rider who looked to have bunnyhopped twice to avoid crashing?

    Peter

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > > From cyclingnews.com:
    > > >
    > > > The crash was precipitated by Jose Enrique Gutierrez (Kelme), who
    lost
    > > > control after being pushed by a Cofidis rider as the peloton wound
    up
    > > > for a bunch sprint.
    > > >
    > > > So it was not a pedal problem. You can kind of see the Cofidis rider
    > > getting
    > > > up into Gutierrez in the OLN coverage as they come around the turn.
    > >
    > > Yup, just got through doing the super-slow thing on the VCR and it
    looked
    > > like the Cofidis rider (Mederic Clain?) dove under Gutierrez and his
    left
    > > hip caught the Kelme rider's handlebar. You could see from the shot
    prior
    > > to the corner that he'd come from way back up the left side and hit the corner in full banzai
    > > mode. Would've been impressive if he hadn't taken half the podium contenders down. De Galdeano's
    > > comment I saw is right; basically that people with no hope of winning a sprint in that company
    > need
    > > to stay the hell out of the way and let the guys who get paid for that
    do
    > > their jobs.
    > >
    > > SB
    > >

    > That stunt today reminded me of a Cat 4/5 field sprint... Hey, I wanna
    get
    > 20th instead of 30th, so I'm going to banzai into the last corner. Oops, there go my wheels, and
    > there goes half the field!
    >
    > I've seen WAY too many of those.
    >
    > Mike

  7. Khoomei

    Khoomei Guest

    On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:06:34 +1000, "Peter Vesel" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Who was the Euskatel rider who looked to have bunnyhopped twice to avoid crashing?

    Samuel Sanchez

  8. In article <[email protected]>, Khoomei <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:06:34 +1000, "Peter Vesel" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Who was the Euskatel rider who looked to have bunnyhopped twice to avoid crashing?
    >
    > Samuel Sanchez

    Guy in the bright orange jersey? Looked more like he just went right on over. As he was pretty much
    the first guy on top of the accident, I'm not sure he even had time to lift his wheel, but I was
    most impressed that he kept it upright!

  9. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    Probably a large dose of luck. I ran over a dog a few years back when it came dashing out of a yard.
    The front wheel twisted sideways as it went over the animal and I started diving towards the
    bitumen. Then the rear wheel went over it, everything magically straightened up, and I found I was
    still riding down the road...if it happened another ten times I'd probably crash ten times.

    Nick

    > In article <[email protected]>, Khoomei <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:06:34 +1000, "Peter Vesel" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Who was the Euskatel rider who looked to have bunnyhopped twice to
    avoid
    > > >crashing?
    > >
    > > Samuel Sanchez
    >
    > Guy in the bright orange jersey? Looked more like he just went right on over. As he was pretty
    > much the first guy on top of the accident, I'm not sure he even had time to lift his wheel, but I
    > was most impressed that he kept it upright!

  10. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

    "Nick Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Probably a large dose of luck. I ran over a dog a few years back when it came dashing out of a
    > yard. The front wheel twisted sideways as it went over the animal and I started diving towards the
    > bitumen. Then the rear wheel

    Bitumen -- Any of various flammable mixtures of hydrocarbons and other substances, occurring
    naturally or obtained by distillation from coal or petroleum, that are a component of asphalt and
    tar and are used for surfacing roads and for waterproofing.

    http://dictionary.reference.com