What Pedals was Gutierrez using?

In article <[email protected]>, camp9 <[email protected]> wrote:
>When he pulled out of them today.

From cyclingnews.com:

The crash was precipitated by Jose Enrique Gutierrez (Kelme), who lost control after being pushed
by a Cofidis rider as the peloton wound up for a bunch sprint.

So it was not a pedal problem. You can kind of see the Cofidis rider getting up into Gutierrez in
the OLN coverage as they come around the turn.

--
Mike Iglesias Email: [email protected] University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
Network & Academic Computing Services FAX: 949-824-2069

"Mike Iglesias" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, camp9 <[email protected]> wrote:
> >When he pulled out of them today.
>
> From cyclingnews.com:
>
> The crash was precipitated by Jose Enrique Gutierrez (Kelme), who lost control after being
> pushed by a Cofidis rider as the peloton wound up for a bunch sprint.
>
> So it was not a pedal problem. You can kind of see the Cofidis rider
getting
> up into Gutierrez in the OLN coverage as they come around the turn.

You can also see his rear wheel sliding out before he unclips...

Wade

"Mike Iglesias" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, camp9 <[email protected]> wrote:
> >When he pulled out of them today.
>
> From cyclingnews.com:
>
> The crash was precipitated by Jose Enrique Gutierrez (Kelme), who lost control after being
> pushed by a Cofidis rider as the peloton wound up for a bunch sprint.
>
> So it was not a pedal problem. You can kind of see the Cofidis rider
getting
> up into Gutierrez in the OLN coverage as they come around the turn.

Yup, just got through doing the super-slow thing on the VCR and it looked like the Cofidis rider
(Mederic Clain?) dove under Gutierrez and his left hip caught the Kelme rider's handlebar. You
could see from the shot prior to the corner that he'd come from way back up the left side and hit
the corner in full banzai mode. Would've been impressive if he hadn't taken half the podium
contenders down. De Galdeano's comment I saw is right; basically that people with no hope of
winning a sprint in that company need to stay the hell out of the way and let the guys who get paid
for that do their jobs.

SB

> > >When he pulled out of them today.
> >
> > From cyclingnews.com:
> >
> > The crash was precipitated by Jose Enrique Gutierrez (Kelme), who lost control after being
> > pushed by a Cofidis rider as the peloton wound up for a bunch sprint.
> >
> > So it was not a pedal problem. You can kind of see the Cofidis rider
> getting
> > up into Gutierrez in the OLN coverage as they come around the turn.
>
> Yup, just got through doing the super-slow thing on the VCR and it looked like the Cofidis rider
> (Mederic Clain?) dove under Gutierrez and his left hip caught the Kelme rider's handlebar. You
> could see from the shot prior to the corner that he'd come from way back up the left side and hit
> the corner in full banzai mode. Would've been impressive if he hadn't taken half the podium
> contenders down. De Galdeano's comment I saw is right; basically that people with no hope of
> winning a sprint in that company
need
> to stay the hell out of the way and let the guys who get paid for that do their jobs.
>
> SB

That stunt today reminded me of a Cat 4/5 field sprint... Hey, I wanna get 20th instead of 30th, so
I'm going to banzai into the last corner. Oops, there go my wheels, and there goes half the field!

I've seen WAY too many of those.

Mike

Who was the Euskatel rider who looked to have bunnyhopped twice to avoid crashing?

Peter

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:06:34 +1000, "Peter Vesel" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Who was the Euskatel rider who looked to have bunnyhopped twice to avoid crashing?

Samuel Sanchez

In article <[email protected]>, Khoomei <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:06:34 +1000, "Peter Vesel" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Who was the Euskatel rider who looked to have bunnyhopped twice to avoid crashing?
>
> Samuel Sanchez

Guy in the bright orange jersey? Looked more like he just went right on over. As he was pretty much
the first guy on top of the accident, I'm not sure he even had time to lift his wheel, but I was
most impressed that he kept it upright!

Probably a large dose of luck. I ran over a dog a few years back when it came dashing out of a yard.
The front wheel twisted sideways as it went over the animal and I started diving towards the
bitumen. Then the rear wheel went over it, everything magically straightened up, and I found I was
still riding down the road...if it happened another ten times I'd probably crash ten times.

Nick

"Nick Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Probably a large dose of luck. I ran over a dog a few years back when it came dashing out of a
> yard. The front wheel twisted sideways as it went over the animal and I started diving towards the
> bitumen. Then the rear wheel

Bitumen -- Any of various flammable mixtures of hydrocarbons and other substances, occurring
naturally or obtained by distillation from coal or petroleum, that are a component of asphalt and
tar and are used for surfacing roads and for waterproofing.

http://dictionary.reference.com