What percentage of a cholesterol decrease can be attributed to statins ?

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 22:29:21 -0500, "Julianne" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> One thing to consider is that Atkins
>has been around for over 30 years. Why has there not been more data in 30
>years?

Atkins refused to participate in any data collections and any studies
of his patient population.

Lift well, Eat less, Walk fast, Live long.

A fairly new study showed that a high protein diet is bad for those
with kidney problems. For those with healthy kidneys the jury is
still out. Re: fats - Mel has it right, but for more details see
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats.html If your high
protein diet was from eating seafood it might be ok - but from eating
fatty red meat, no. How many grams of protein are you consuming per
day?

Blue Mu_n wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 22:29:21 -0500, "Julianne" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> One thing to consider is that Atkins
>>has been around for over 30 years. Why has there not been more data in 30
>>years?

> Atkins refused to participate in any data collections and any studies
> of his patient population.

Strikingly similar to the 2PoundDiet protagonists' behavior.

Pastorio

"Blue Mu_n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 22:29:21 -0500, "Julianne" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > One thing to consider is that Atkins
> >has been around for over 30 years. Why has there not been more data in

30
> >years?

> Atkins refused to participate in any data collections and any studies
> of his patient population.

Care to cite references?

"Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Julianne wrote:
>
> > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > If that were true, it should be easy for you to cite research studies
> > > describing carbohydrates causing obesity.
> > >
> > > Please don't cite Dr. Atkins:
> > >
> > > (1) He's dead.
> > >
> > > (2) He wasn't a scientist. Being a diet guru was not the same.

> > Being dead doesn't neccessarily negate the value of one's message.

Don't
> > you frequently quote the gospel?
> >

> Yes. Jesus is risen, therefore He is not dead.

Yeah, but some of the apostles are decidedly napping for a while until the
second coming.

> > But, you are correct - there is nothing scientific about Atkins. He is

not
> > gospel!
> >

> Nor was he a scientist.

No, he sold books and was very successful.

obese

> > > Cutting out anything will cause weight loss. Problem is that research
> > > studies indicate that such "dieting" has dismal long-term success

rates..

> > I am not a scientist either but I think everyone's argument in this

thread,
> > thus far, has merit. Atkins is very good for short term weight loss.
> > Sometimes, the initial success encourages people to go further. I do

think
> > it is boring, though. I have read preliminary studies on Atkins but

there
> > is not enough data to satisfy me, yet. One thing to consider is that

Atkins
> > has been around for over 30 years. Why has there not been more data in

30
> > years?
> >

> You have to wonder.

Not really:)

> > I have also read intensely on insulin resistance, Syndrome X, etc.,

whatever
> > it is called these days. Most studies state that between 20 and 25

percent
> > of US citizens are insulin resistant. For the insulin resistant, severe
> > restriction of refined carbs is a good thing. (Note, I did not say
> > elimination!) But, that also means that 75 to 80 percent of us will not
> > have insatiable rebound hunger from an occasional side of rice or

potatoes
> > eaten in moderation with a meal. I am the poster child of insulin
> > resistance - very small with long skinny legs, no butt but all my weight

is
> > carried in the middle. I remember going to the store to pick up cat

food
> > knowing that in spite of my best intentions, I would walk out with a

soda.
> > It wasn't until I seriously dealt with my eating that I was able to pass

the
> > soda and candy bars up without regret.
> >
> > There is a magic bullet for insulin resistance, though. It is so simple
> > that I could be the hostess of an infomercial. Instead of expensive

shakes
> > and radical diets, all one really has to do is exercise. Studies show

that
> > the body can use insulin much more efficiently for 24 to 48 hours after

an
> > hour of moderate exercise. Also, resistance training improves

sensitivity
> > to the muscles used in the resistance training. Keeping this in mind, I

try
> > to exercise for an hour each day. Instead of running flat out for 20 or

30
> > minutes, I walk briskly for 45 minutes or an hour and follow up with
> > resistance training. It doesn't take much. I am not graceful. I have

> > bench and a few free weights and I just do it!
> >
> > There is also research that shows that metformin can improve insulin
> > resistance. I am reluctant to try this as long as I can exercise and

eat an
> > appropriate diet. If I couldn't exercise or if my food choices were
> > severely restricted, I would try this.

> > > That happens from losing weight.

> > It also happens with Atkins as diuresis is quite dramatic in the first
> > weeks;

> Yes.
>
> > moreso than on a reduced calorie diet. This is one reason why I do
> > not like to see heart patients on Atkins. Along with the fluid, goes
> > potassium and many heart patients have rhythm problems or are maintained

on
> > lasix. I have been challenged numerous times from low carb proponents

who
> > state that OTC K+ supplements are harmless. I am of the rather narrow
> > opinion that potassium supplementation should never be self supervised
> > without lab work, etc. I have attended far too many codes for patients

with
> > medically supervised potassium supplementation to believe that one

should
> > try this on their own.

> > > This also happens largely from losing weight.
> > >
> > > Without carbohydrates, there will be hyperketonemia. This is not a

good
> > > thing physiologically.

> > It is especially dangerous for heart patients and being that this is a
> > cardiology group, I thought I might make a note of that.
> >

> Correct.

"Protein

> > I've read the book - found it fascinating. It makes many good points

and is
> > not as strict as Atkins. It is also very hard to follow though in real
> > life. I also like the Zone diet plan but being mathematically

challenged,
> > it is hard for me to figure out all the ratios. Why can't someone put
> > together a plan that just says eat carbs with protien and watch calories

and
> > exercise? Is it too simple?
> >

> See http://www.heartmdphd.com/wtloss.asp

Read that, too:) Aren't I the well read one? Good points made but I find,
that for me personally, it's almost too simple. Plus, some things I like to
eat are decidedly heavy such as apples and fat free yogurt. That alone
would kill 1/4 of my food each day. And I am not one to weight sauces, etc.

> > I do believe in the merits of eating a lower carb diet, especially one

that
> > focuses on vegetables as the main source of carbs. No one ever became
> > healthier from eating white sugar, candy bars and soft drinks.

Furthermore,
> > in order to eat lower carb, something must be increased to provide

calories.
> > Usually this is lean protien. This shouldn't be a problem in moderation

for
> > most people (as long as plenty of water is consumed).
> >
> > I pay close attention to the glycemic index when choosing foods. It is

far
> > more complicated than simply eating protien and fat to the exclusion of
> > carbs but it makes sense. In Australia, many foods are labeled with

their
> > glycemic index or glycemic load. I would kill for that to be on our

food
> > labels. It isn't the end all of nutritional data (french fries have a

lower
> > index than baked potatoes without butter) but it is a start and when
> > considered along with fats, calories, etc., it makes sense for just

about
> > everyone.
> >

> > > I prefer peer-reviewed journal article to books like "Protein Power."

> > > The latter sounds too much like "White Power."

> > And when I think of white powder, my mind automatically turns to white
> > powder which is another no-no for heart patients:)

> Thank you for your comments :)

You're welcome. Thanks for your comments.

> --
> Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
> Board-Certified Cardiologist
> http://www.heartmdphd.com/

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Brad Sheppard) wrote:

> If your high
> protein diet was from eating seafood it might be ok - but from eating
> fatty red meat, no.

(I realize you said "fatty" red meat.) Most folks have really cut back
on _all_ beef consumption because of the "limit red meat" medical mantra
of the last 25 years. According to an article in today's Oregonian
Business section on the beef market, the avg. US consumption has dropped
from about 94 lubs in 1976 to 67 lubs in 2002.

Tyson makes a tasty and tender frozen steak, "Beef Flat Iron Griller"
that has the following nutritional breakdown:

Portion size: 177g (roughly $1.75/portion)
Fat: 2 g
Sat. Fat: .5g
Chol: 90mg
Sod: 340mg
Carb: 0g
Prot: 31g

Compare to Bumble Bee, Solid White Albacore in water:

Portion: 140g (roughly $1.70/portion > I eat the entire drained contents
as one portion)
Fat: 2.5g
Sat Fat: 0g
Chol: 62.5mg
Sod: 625mg
Carb: 0g
Protein: 37.5g

Very comparable all around ('cept the salt). Just wanted to point out
the equally healthy nutritional value of a good beef item for folks who
may have read "all" into your "fatty" comment - or the advice folks hear
from their docs.

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 15:41:35 -0700, Owen Lowe wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Brad Sheppard) wrote:
>
>> If your high
>> protein diet was from eating seafood it might be ok - but from eating
>> fatty red meat, no.

> (I realize you said "fatty" red meat.) Most folks have really cut back
> on _all_ beef consumption because of the "limit red meat" medical mantra
> of the last 25 years. According to an article in today's Oregonian
> Business section on the beef market, the avg. US consumption has dropped
> from about 94 lubs in 1976 to 67 lubs in 2002.
>
> Tyson makes a tasty and tender frozen steak, "Beef Flat Iron Griller"
> that has the following nutritional breakdown:
>
> Portion size: 177g (roughly $1.75/portion)
> Fat: 2 g
> Sat. Fat: .5g
> Chol: 90mg
> Sod: 340mg
> Carb: 0g
> Prot: 31g
>
> Compare to Bumble Bee, Solid White Albacore in water:
>
> Portion: 140g (roughly $1.70/portion > I eat the entire drained contents
> as one portion)
> Fat: 2.5g
> Sat Fat: 0g
> Chol: 62.5mg
> Sod: 625mg
> Carb: 0g
> Protein: 37.5g
>
> Very comparable all around ('cept the salt). Just wanted to point out
> the equally healthy nutritional value of a good beef item for folks who
> may have read "all" into your "fatty" comment - or the advice folks hear
> from their docs.

Would you like to tell us about the hormones used in Tyson's nutritional
beef? Or how about the irridation? No irridation? What else are they doing?
Antibiotics?

C'mon now, comparing fish to red meat? Red meat healthier?

Calling Dr. Chung. :)

Mel, does not eat any red meat.

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 16:20:49 -0500, Julianne wrote:

>snip<

>> Yes. Jesus is risen, therefore He is not dead.

> Yeah, but some of the apostles are decidedly napping for a while until the
> second coming.

Listen, if you were waiting over 2000 years for someone to come, you'd also
fall asleep.

Mel

Julianne wrote:

> "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > John Merlano wrote:

> weeks

> since

> before

> Why before supper? And do you mean directly before supper or at any time of
> the day prior to the evening meal?

Right before supper. There have been studies that suggest the lipid profile
will respond more favorably.

--

Brad Sheppard wrote:

> A fairly new study showed that a high protein diet is bad for those
> with kidney problems.

Old news. Physicians have been counseling folks with kidneys problems to avoid high protein
diets for years if not decades.

--

Julianne wrote:

> [...]

> "Protein
> > >
> > > I've read the book - found it fascinating. It makes many good points

> and is
> > > not as strict as Atkins. It is also very hard to follow though in real
> > > life. I also like the Zone diet plan but being mathematically

> challenged,
> > > it is hard for me to figure out all the ratios. Why can't someone put
> > > together a plan that just says eat carbs with protien and watch calories

> and
> > > exercise? Is it too simple?
> > >

> > See http://www.heartmdphd.com/wtloss.asp

> Read that, too:) Aren't I the well read one? Good points made but I find,
> that for me personally, it's almost too simple. Plus, some things I like to
> eat are decidedly heavy such as apples and fat free yogurt. That alone
> would kill 1/4 of my food each day. And I am not one to weight sauces, etc.

Why are you fighting for every morsel of food?

--

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote:

> "Blue Mu_n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 22:29:21 -0500, "Julianne" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > One thing to consider is that Atkins
> > >has been around for over 30 years. Why has there not been more data in

> 30
> > >years?

> > Atkins refused to participate in any data collections and any studies
> > of his patient population.

> Care to cite references?

If the late Dr. Atkins' refused to participate in such studies, one would
expect that there would be no references to be found.

A good review article on the topic:

http://tinyurl.com/q404

A good reference list:

http://tinyurl.com/q401

--
> [...]

> > should

> > good

> > > Correct.

> > "Protein

points
> > and is

real

> > challenged,

put

calories
> > and
> > > >

> > > See http://www.heartmdphd.com/wtloss.asp

> > Read that, too:) Aren't I the well read one? Good points made but I

find,
> > that for me personally, it's almost too simple. Plus, some things I

like to
> > eat are decidedly heavy such as apples and fat free yogurt. That alone
> > would kill 1/4 of my food each day. And I am not one to weight sauces,

etc.

> Why are you fighting for every morsel of food?

Because I live in a culture where food is a central point of social
activity. Since giving up refined sugars and carbs, it is easier but, I am
a really good cook and I enjoy eating. Furthermore, I really do believe, at
least where I am concerned, that exercise as an adjunct to moderately
lowered calories is far more beneficial than restriction in calories. I
like the way I feel after exercising. But, burning off 500 calories when
restricting calories is challenging.. For instance, I can easily lose
weight eating 1200 calories a day. If I eat 1200 calories a day and burn off
500 calories a day, it leaves me with a net of 700. If I didn't experience
hunger or irritability, this would be fine. I find that if I adjust my
calories to 1200 plus the estimated amount I burn off, I do better.

For me, eating smaller amounts of really good food is far more preferable to
over eating trash! When I am unable to feed myself well, I go for a protien
shake or another low-cal alternative and 'save' my calories for when I can
sit down and enjoy really good food. Note that for me really good food is 4
oz of a good steak, maybe a salad (depending on the dressing and the
presence of radical veggies) and some wine. In addition to the weight loss
and health benefits, it is notable that I feel better after eating a smaller
amount of really good food. I have never been to a restuarant that served 4
oz of steak and thus, my morning after omelettes are great!

Alas, I cannot eat seafood which brings me to another question that you may
be able to answer. I am severly allergic to shellfish and get ill when I
eat fresh water fish. Note that I live in South Louisiana which is mostly
below sea level. Most of our water is at least 'brackish'. My question is
if I take supplements (EPA, etc.) will I be in danger of doing the
anaphylaxis dance? I do so hate it. It wears me out for days:)

Julianne wrote:

> [...]

> > > "Protein

> points
> > > and is

> real
> > > challenged,

> put

> calories
> > > and

> > > Read that, too:) Aren't I the well read one? Good points made but I

> find,
> > > that for me personally, it's almost too simple. Plus, some things I

> like to
> > > eat are decidedly heavy such as apples and fat free yogurt. That alone
> > > would kill 1/4 of my food each day. And I am not one to weight sauces,

> etc.
> > >

> > Why are you fighting for every morsel of food?

> Because I live in a culture where food is a central point of social
> activity. Since giving up refined sugars and carbs, it is easier but, I am

The latter will make "eating less" more difficult.

> Furthermore, I really do believe, at
> least where I am concerned, that exercise as an adjunct to moderately
> lowered calories is far more beneficial than restriction in calories.

If you eat excessive amounts, the exercise is not going to help you either reach
or maintain ideal body weight. God forbid you have an injury or other reasons
that keep you from exercising.

> like the way I feel after exercising.

No one is suggesting that you stop exercising.

> But, burning off 500 calories when
> restricting calories is challenging..

Burning off 500 calories is challenging whether you are reducing intake or not.

> For instance, I can easily lose
> weight eating 1200 calories a day. If I eat 1200 calories a day and burn off
> 500 calories a day, it leaves me with a net of 700. If I didn't experience
> hunger or irritability, this would be fine. I find that if I adjust my
> calories to 1200 plus the estimated amount I burn off, I do better.
>
> For me, eating smaller amounts of really good food is far more preferable to
> over eating trash!

Why overeat anything?

> When I am unable to feed myself well, I go for a protien
> shake or another low-cal alternative and 'save' my calories for when I can
> sit down and enjoy really good food. Note that for me really good food is 4
> oz of a good steak, maybe a salad (depending on the dressing and the
> presence of radical veggies) and some wine. In addition to the weight loss
> and health benefits, it is notable that I feel better after eating a smaller
> amount of really good food. I have never been to a restuarant that served 4
> oz of steak and thus, my morning after omelettes are great!

This all may be moot if you are not overweight. Are you?

> Alas, I cannot eat seafood which brings me to another question that you may
> be able to answer. I am severly allergic to shellfish and get ill when I
> eat fresh water fish. Note that I live in South Louisiana which is mostly
> below sea level. Most of our water is at least 'brackish'. My question is
> if I take supplements (EPA, etc.) will I be in danger of doing the
> anaphylaxis dance?

It depends on what you are actually allergic to.

> I do so hate it. It wears me out for days:)

You might consider visiting an allergist to help you find out exactly what you
are allergic to.

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist
http://www.heartmdphd.com

"Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Julianne wrote:

<Snipped>

> > > Why are you fighting for every morsel of food?

> > Because I live in a culture where food is a central point of social
> > activity. Since giving up refined sugars and carbs, it is easier but, I

am
> > a really good cook and I enjoy eating.

> The latter will make "eating less" more difficult.

Yes, but not impossible.

> > Furthermore, I really do believe, at
> > least where I am concerned, that exercise as an adjunct to moderately
> > lowered calories is far more beneficial than restriction in calories.

> If you eat excessive amounts, the exercise is not going to help you either

reach
> or maintain ideal body weight. God forbid you have an injury or other

reasons
> that keep you from exercising.

That actually happened several years ago. It was not fun. Injuries are not
fun and not always preventable.
> > like the way I feel after exercising.

> No one is suggesting that you stop exercising.
>
> > But, burning off 500 calories when
> > restricting calories is challenging..

> Burning off 500 calories is challenging whether you are reducing intake or

not.

Yes, my point is that it is much easier to make a modest restriction in
calories (particularly nutritionally deviod calories) in addition to
exercise is easier for me than to cut my calories by an additional 500 a
day.

> > For instance, I can easily lose
> > weight eating 1200 calories a day. If I eat 1200 calories a day and burn

off
> > 500 calories a day, it leaves me with a net of 700. If I didn't

experience
> > hunger or irritability, this would be fine. I find that if I adjust my
> > calories to 1200 plus the estimated amount I burn off, I do better.
> >
> > For me, eating smaller amounts of really good food is far more

preferable to
> > over eating trash!

> Why overeat anything?

I generally do not. When I do, I look to see what precipitated it. First,
if there are limited food choices, I will put off eating until I am very
hungry. This happens when I travel. I do not like meal bars, etc. I am a
picky eater, as well and hate those chemically engineered salad dressings
found at resturaunts. If it is my only choice and I eat it before I am
hungry, I do fine. Frequently, I put off eating something I don't like. I
am learning to eat before I am ravenous when I still have will power.

If I eat while I am doing something else, I lose track of what I am eating.
This happens when I am reveiwing clinical records, etc. at an office and
lunch has been brought in. I have learned that I am rarely so very busy
that I cannot take a few minutes to eat.

> > When I am unable to feed myself well, I go for a protien
> > shake or another low-cal alternative and 'save' my calories for when I

can
> > sit down and enjoy really good food. Note that for me really good food

is 4
> > oz of a good steak, maybe a salad (depending on the dressing and the
> > presence of radical veggies) and some wine. In addition to the weight

loss
> > and health benefits, it is notable that I feel better after eating a

smaller
> > amount of really good food. I have never been to a restuarant that

served 4
> > oz of steak and thus, my morning after omelettes are great!
> >

> This all may be moot if you are not overweight. Are you?

Not to any great degree. My BMI is well below the 'overweight' category. I
would love to lose ten pounds for reasons of vanity but alas, I am not quite
vain enough:) But, any extra ounce of weight I carry is in my midsection.
A couple of years ago, my waist was 36 inches. I try to keep it under 32
inches. Part of that is that I simply thick waisted - when I was very, very
thin as younger woman, it would stay between 28 and 30. Part of it is also
because that is where I store all my excess weight. I have absolutely no
desire to be diabetic or suffer from heart disease, etc. Some things, such
a genetics cannot be changed but others can be addressed through a healthy
lifestyle. It is certainly more pleasant than addressing high bp through
medications or fluctuating sugars with insulin, etc. Everything else aside,
I am a self employed single mother and investment in my health will keep
groceries on the table.

> > Alas, I cannot eat seafood which brings me to another question that you

may
> > be able to answer. I am severly allergic to shellfish and get ill when

> > eat fresh water fish. Note that I live in South Louisiana which is

mostly
> > below sea level. Most of our water is at least 'brackish'. My question

is
> > if I take supplements (EPA, etc.) will I be in danger of doing the
> > anaphylaxis dance?

> It depends on what you are actually allergic to.
>
> > I do so hate it. It wears me out for days:)

> You might consider visiting an allergist to help you find out exactly what

you
> are allergic to.

I have considered it - will do it eventually. Last summer, we were playing
tennis and went to a convenience store to buy beer (don't go there) after a
long match. They were boiling crawfish indoors and I just about went into
anaphylaxis. That was no fun after two hours on the court! I have a little
aspirin thing, too so a trip to the allergist is in my near future. I was
just wondering if the oils were purified enough to remove all iodine and
other fishy essence.

Thanks.

> Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
> Board-Certified Cardiologist
> http://www.heartmdphd.com

"Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Paul E. Lehmann" wrote:
>
> > "Blue Mu_n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

in
> > 30
> > >
> > > Atkins refused to participate in any data collections and any studies
> > > of his patient population.

> > Care to cite references?

> If the late Dr. Atkins' refused to participate in such studies, one would
> expect that there would be no references to be found.

Were are the references that state he refused to participate in studies?

Good summary from one of your references:

"CONCLUSIONS: There is insufficient evidence to make recommendations for or
against the use of low-carbohydrate diets, particularly among participants
older than age 50 years, for use longer than 90 days, or for diets of 20 g/d
or less of carbohydrates."

NOTE: the conclusions state OR AGAINST .......

Where is the evidence for or against your TPD? Has the medical community
accepted and endorsed it?

Julianne wrote:

> "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Julianne wrote:

> <Snipped>

> > > Because I live in a culture where food is a central point of social
> > > activity. Since giving up refined sugars and carbs, it is easier but, I

> am
> > > a really good cook and I enjoy eating.

> > The latter will make "eating less" more difficult.

> Yes, but not impossible.

It defines the struggle.

> > > Furthermore, I really do believe, at
> > > least where I am concerned, that exercise as an adjunct to moderately
> > > lowered calories is far more beneficial than restriction in calories.

> > If you eat excessive amounts, the exercise is not going to help you either

> reach
> > or maintain ideal body weight. God forbid you have an injury or other

> reasons
> > that keep you from exercising.

> That actually happened several years ago. It was not fun. Injuries are not
> fun and not always preventable.

Injuries and related other things will invariably happen.

> > > like the way I feel after exercising.

> > No one is suggesting that you stop exercising.
> >
> > > But, burning off 500 calories when
> > > restricting calories is challenging..

> > Burning off 500 calories is challenging whether you are reducing intake or

> not.
> >

> Yes, my point is that it is much easier to make a modest restriction in
> calories (particularly nutritionally deviod calories) in addition to
> exercise is easier for me than to cut my calories by an additional 500 a
> day.

Yes, if you are tracking calories instead of food weight.

> > > For instance, I can easily lose
> > > weight eating 1200 calories a day. If I eat 1200 calories a day and burn

> off
> > > 500 calories a day, it leaves me with a net of 700. If I didn't

> experience
> > > hunger or irritability, this would be fine. I find that if I adjust my
> > > calories to 1200 plus the estimated amount I burn off, I do better.
> > >
> > > For me, eating smaller amounts of really good food is far more

> preferable to
> > > over eating trash!

> > Why overeat anything?

> I generally do not. When I do, I look to see what precipitated it. First,
> if there are limited food choices, I will put off eating until I am very
> hungry.

This is not advisable.

> This happens when I travel. I do not like meal bars, etc. I am a
> picky eater, as well and hate those chemically engineered salad dressings
> found at resturaunts. If it is my only choice and I eat it before I am
> hungry, I do fine. Frequently, I put off eating something I don't like. I
> am learning to eat before I am ravenous when I still have will power.

You seem bonded to eating only things that "taste good."

> If I eat while I am doing something else, I lose track of what I am eating.

It is hard to track calories.

> This happens when I am reveiwing clinical records, etc. at an office and
> lunch has been brought in. I have learned that I am rarely so very busy
> that I cannot take a few minutes to eat.
>

> > > When I am unable to feed myself well, I go for a protien
> > > shake or another low-cal alternative and 'save' my calories for when I

> can
> > > sit down and enjoy really good food. Note that for me really good food

> is 4
> > > oz of a good steak, maybe a salad (depending on the dressing and the
> > > presence of radical veggies) and some wine. In addition to the weight

> loss
> > > and health benefits, it is notable that I feel better after eating a

> smaller
> > > amount of really good food. I have never been to a restuarant that

> served 4
> > > oz of steak and thus, my morning after omelettes are great!
> > >

> > This all may be moot if you are not overweight. Are you?

> Not to any great degree. My BMI is well below the 'overweight' category. I
> would love to lose ten pounds for reasons of vanity but alas, I am not quite
> vain enough:) But, any extra ounce of weight I carry is in my midsection.

Not good.

> A couple of years ago, my waist was 36 inches.

Too many inches.

> I try to keep it under 32
> inches. Part of that is that I simply thick waisted - when I was very, very
> thin as younger woman, it would stay between 28 and 30.

That's fine.

> Part of it is also
> because that is where I store all my excess weight. I have absolutely no
> desire to be diabetic or suffer from heart disease, etc. Some things, such
> a genetics cannot be changed but others can be addressed through a healthy
> lifestyle. It is certainly more pleasant than addressing high bp through
> medications or fluctuating sugars with insulin, etc. Everything else aside,
> I am a self employed single mother and investment in my health will keep
> groceries on the table.

Understandable. Following the 2PD approach is easier than you think.

> > > Alas, I cannot eat seafood which brings me to another question that you

> may
> > > be able to answer. I am severly allergic to shellfish and get ill when

> > > eat fresh water fish. Note that I live in South Louisiana which is

> mostly
> > > below sea level. Most of our water is at least 'brackish'. My question

> is
> > > if I take supplements (EPA, etc.) will I be in danger of doing the
> > > anaphylaxis dance?

> > It depends on what you are actually allergic to.
> >
> > > I do so hate it. It wears me out for days:)

> > You might consider visiting an allergist to help you find out exactly what

> you
> > are allergic to.

> I have considered it - will do it eventually. Last summer, we were playing
> tennis and went to a convenience store to buy beer (don't go there) after a
> long match. They were boiling crawfish indoors and I just about went into
> anaphylaxis. That was no fun after two hours on the court! I have a little
> aspirin thing, too so a trip to the allergist is in my near future. I was
> just wondering if the oils were purified enough to remove all iodine and
> other fishy essence.
>
> Thanks.

You're welcome.

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist
http://www.heartmdphd.com/

"Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> John Merlano wrote:

weeks

since

> > > You probably mean LDL/HDL ratio.

> > > Your HDL needs to be higher. More exercise should help that.

> > > Good.

> > > This needs to be aerobic for at least 30 minutes daily preferably

before
> > > supper.

foods

and I

still

extra

figure

> > > This does more to increase appetite than to lower metabolic rate.

> > > Carbs don't cause obesity.

> > Doesn't eating refined carbs contribute to gaining weight?
> >
> > John Merlano

> No.

So, you are advocating a 2-pound twinkie diet?

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote:

> "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Paul E. Lehmann" wrote:
> >
> > > "Blue Mu_n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> in
> > > 30

> > > Care to cite references?

> > If the late Dr. Atkins' refused to participate in such studies, one would
> > expect that there would be no references to be found.

> Were are the references that state he refused to participate in studies?
>
> Good summary from one of your references:
>
> "CONCLUSIONS: There is insufficient evidence to make recommendations for or
> against the use of low-carbohydrate diets, particularly among participants
> older than age 50 years, for use longer than 90 days, or for diets of 20 g/d
> or less of carbohydrates."
>
> NOTE: the conclusions state OR AGAINST .......

Ok, one neutral in a sea of negatives. No positives.

> Where is the evidence for or against your TPD? Has the medical community
> accepted and endorsed it?

No negatives. In time, the 2PD approach will likely be proven.

For past discussions about this, either use Google or go to:

--

Sharon Hope wrote:

> "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > John Merlano wrote:

> <snip>
> > >
> > > Doesn't eating refined carbs contribute to gaining weight?
> > >
> > > John Merlano

> > No.
> >

> So, you are advocating a 2-pound twinkie diet?

What I am advocating is well described at: