What percentage of a cholesterol decrease can be attributed to statins ?

"Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Paul E. Lehmann" wrote:
>
> > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in

message
> > news:[email protected]...

<[email protected]>

data
> > in

studies

> > > If the late Dr. Atkins' refused to participate in such studies, one

would
> > > expect that there would be no references to be found.

> > Were are the references that state he refused to participate in studies?
> >
> > Good summary from one of your references:
> >
> > "CONCLUSIONS: There is insufficient evidence to make recommendations for

or
> > against the use of low-carbohydrate diets, particularly among

participants
> > older than age 50 years, for use longer than 90 days, or for diets of 20

g/d
> > or less of carbohydrates."
> >
> > NOTE: the conclusions state OR AGAINST .......
> >

> Ok, one neutral in a sea of negatives. No positives.

That seems to be a pretty BIG neutral from a reputable souce doesn't it
Andy.

> > Where is the evidence for or against your TPD? Has the medical

community
> > accepted and endorsed it?
> >

> No negatives. In time, the 2PD approach will likely be proven.

No negatives? Come on Andy. Let me at least see a "Neutral" opinion from
credible sources.

What "Time" frame are we talking about, Andy?

"Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Paul E. Lehmann" wrote:
>
> > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in

message
> > news:[email protected]...

<[email protected]>

data
> > in

studies

> > > If the late Dr. Atkins' refused to participate in such studies, one

would
> > > expect that there would be no references to be found.

> > Were are the references that state he refused to participate in studies?

Don't duck the above question, Andy. Where are the references that prove
that he refused to participate in studies. I am sure you are aware of lible
laws - you seem very interested in them. NOTE: Refusing to turn over an
individuals private medical records is NOT refusing to participate in
studies.

"Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in part:

>> "CONCLUSIONS: There is insufficient evidence to make recommendations for or
>> against the use of low-carbohydrate diets, particularly among participants
>> older than age 50 years, for use longer than 90 days, or for diets of 20 g/d
>> or less of carbohydrates."
>>
>> NOTE: the conclusions state OR AGAINST .......
>>

>Ok, one neutral in a sea of negatives. No positives.

No matter how much faith you have that a low carbohydrate diet fails in the
long term, and no matter how often you claim this has been established in
published studies, the latter is not the case.
--
Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

Tue, 07 Oct 2003 21:13:57 -0400 in article <[email protected]>
"Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote:

>If the late Dr. Atkins' refused to participate in such studies, one would
>expect that there would be no references to be found.
>
>A good review article on the topic:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/q404
>
>A good reference list:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/q401

Here some newer studies:

Foster GD, Wyatt HR, Hill JO, McGuckin BG, Brill C, Mohammed BS, Szapary PO,
Rader DJ, Edman JS, Klein S.
A randomized trial of a low-carbohydrate diet for obesity.
N Engl J Med. 2003 May 22;348(21):2082-90.
PMID: 12761365 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12761365&dopt=Abstract

"... The low-carbohydrate diet produced a greater weight loss
(absolute difference, approximately 4 percent) than did the
conventional diet for the first six months, but the differences were
not significant at one year. The low-carbohydrate diet was associated
with a greater improvement in some risk factors for coronary heart
disease..."

Samaha FF, Iqbal N, Seshadri P, Chicano KL, Daily DA, McGrory J, Williams T,
Williams M, Gracely EJ, Stern L.
A low-carbohydrate as compared with a low-fat diet in severe obesity.
N Engl J Med. 2003 May 22;348(21):2074-81.
PMID: 12761364 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12761364&dopt=Abstract

"... Severely obese subjects with a high prevalence of diabetes or
the metabolic syndrome lost more weight during six months on a
carbohydrate-restricted diet than on a calorie- and fat-restricted
diet, with a relative improvement in insulin sensitivity and
triglyceride levels, even after adjustment for the amount of weight
lost. ..."

Alnasir FA, Fateha BE.
Low carbohydrate diet. Its effects on selected body parameters of obese
patients.
Saudi Med J. 2003 Sep;24(9):949-52.
PMID: 12973475 [PubMed - in process]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12973475&dopt=Abstract

"... CONCLUSION: Low carbohydrate diet could help in reducing body weight
without any significant harmful effect."

Westman EC, Mavropoulos J, Yancy WS, Volek JS.
A Review of Low-carbohydrate Ketogenic Diets.
Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2003 Nov;5(6):476-83.
PMID: 14525681 [PubMed - in process]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=14525681&dopt=Abstract

States, a renewal of interest in alternative diets has occurred,
especially in diets that limit carbohydrate intake. Recent research
has demonstrated that low-carbohydrate ketogenic diets can lead to
weight loss and favorable changes in serum triglycerides and high-
density lipoprotein cholesterol ..."

--
Matti Narkia

Wed, 08 Oct 2003 17:40:04 GMT in article
<[email protected]> Matti Narkia <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Tue, 07 Oct 2003 21:13:57 -0400 in article <[email protected]>
>"Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>If the late Dr. Atkins' refused to participate in such studies, one would
>>expect that there would be no references to be found.
>>
>>A good review article on the topic:
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/q404
>>
>>A good reference list:
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/q401

>Here some newer studies:
>
>Foster GD, Wyatt HR, Hill JO, McGuckin BG, Brill C, Mohammed BS, Szapary PO,
>Rader DJ, Edman JS, Klein S.
> A randomized trial of a low-carbohydrate diet for obesity.
>N Engl J Med. 2003 May 22;348(21):2082-90.
>PMID: 12761365 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12761365&dopt=Abstract
>
> "... The low-carbohydrate diet produced a greater weight loss
> (absolute difference, approximately 4 percent) than did the
> conventional diet for the first six months, but the differences were
> not significant at one year. The low-carbohydrate diet was associated
> with a greater improvement in some risk factors for coronary heart
> disease..."
>
>Samaha FF, Iqbal N, Seshadri P, Chicano KL, Daily DA, McGrory J, Williams T,
>Williams M, Gracely EJ, Stern L.
> A low-carbohydrate as compared with a low-fat diet in severe obesity.
>N Engl J Med. 2003 May 22;348(21):2074-81.
>PMID: 12761364 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12761364&dopt=Abstract
>
> "... Severely obese subjects with a high prevalence of diabetes or
> the metabolic syndrome lost more weight during six months on a
> carbohydrate-restricted diet than on a calorie- and fat-restricted
> diet, with a relative improvement in insulin sensitivity and
> triglyceride levels, even after adjustment for the amount of weight
> lost. ..."
>
>Alnasir FA, Fateha BE.
> Low carbohydrate diet. Its effects on selected body parameters of obese
>patients.
>Saudi Med J. 2003 Sep;24(9):949-52.
>PMID: 12973475 [PubMed - in process]
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12973475&dopt=Abstract
>
> "... CONCLUSION: Low carbohydrate diet could help in reducing body weight
> without any significant harmful effect."
>
>Westman EC, Mavropoulos J, Yancy WS, Volek JS.
> A Review of Low-carbohydrate Ketogenic Diets.
>Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2003 Nov;5(6):476-83.
>PMID: 14525681 [PubMed - in process]
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=14525681&dopt=Abstract

> States, a renewal of interest in alternative diets has occurred,
> especially in diets that limit carbohydrate intake. Recent research
> has demonstrated that low-carbohydrate ketogenic diets can lead to
> weight loss and favorable changes in serum triglycerides and high-
> density lipoprotein cholesterol ..."

Here's one more:

Volek JS, Sharman MJ, Gomez AL, Scheett TP, Kraemer WJ.
An Isoenergetic Very Low Carbohydrate Diet Improves Serum HDL Cholesterol and
Triacylglycerol Concentrations, the Total Cholesterol to HDL Cholesterol Ratio
and Postprandial Lipemic Responses Compared with a Low Fat Diet in Normal
Weight, Normolipidemic Women.
J Nutr. 2003 Sep;133(9):2756-61.
PMID: 12949361 [PubMed - in process]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12949361&dopt=Abstract

"... Compared with the low fat diet, the very low carbohydrate diet
increased (P <or= 0.05) fasting serum total cholesterol (16%), LDL
cholesterol (LDL-C) (15%) and HDL-C (33%) and decreased serum
triacylglycerols (-30%), the total cholesterol to HDL ratio (-13%)
and the area under the 8-h postprandial triacylglycerol curve (-31%).
There were no significant changes in LDL size or markers of
inflammation (C-reactive protein, interleukin-6, tumor necrosis
factor-alpha) after the very low carbohydrate diet. ..."

--

wrote:

>Here some newer studies:
>
>Foster GD, Wyatt HR, Hill JO, McGuckin BG, Brill C, Mohammed BS, Szapary PO,
>Rader DJ, Edman JS, Klein S.
> A randomized trial of a low-carbohydrate diet for obesity.
>N Engl J Med. 2003 May 22;348(21):2082-90.
>PMID: 12761365 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12761365&dopt=Abstract
>
> "... The low-carbohydrate diet produced a greater weight loss
> (absolute difference, approximately 4 percent) than did the
> conventional diet for the first six months, but the differences were
> not significant at one year. The low-carbohydrate diet was associated
> with a greater improvement in some risk factors for coronary heart
> disease..."
>
>Samaha FF, Iqbal N, Seshadri P, Chicano KL, Daily DA, McGrory J, Williams T,
>Williams M, Gracely EJ, Stern L.
> A low-carbohydrate as compared with a low-fat diet in severe obesity.
>N Engl J Med. 2003 May 22;348(21):2074-81.
>PMID: 12761364 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12761364&dopt=Abstract
>
> "... Severely obese subjects with a high prevalence of diabetes or
> the metabolic syndrome lost more weight during six months on a
> carbohydrate-restricted diet than on a calorie- and fat-restricted
> diet, with a relative improvement in insulin sensitivity and
> triglyceride levels, even after adjustment for the amount of weight
> lost. ..."

These studies have been commented in the article

Two Studies Vindicate Atkins Diet
The Diet Really Does Help People Lose Weight
http://cbs2chicago.com/health/health_story_141152609.html

--
Matti Narkia

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote:

> "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Paul E. Lehmann" wrote:
> >
> > > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in

> message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> <[email protected]>

> data
> > > in

> studies

> would
> > >
> > > Were are the references that state he refused to participate in studies?
> > >
> > > Good summary from one of your references:
> > >
> > > "CONCLUSIONS: There is insufficient evidence to make recommendations for

> or
> > > against the use of low-carbohydrate diets, particularly among

> participants
> > > older than age 50 years, for use longer than 90 days, or for diets of 20

> g/d
> > > or less of carbohydrates."
> > >
> > > NOTE: the conclusions state OR AGAINST .......
> > >

> > Ok, one neutral in a sea of negatives. No positives.

> That seems to be a pretty BIG neutral from a reputable souce doesn't it
> Andy.

Neutrals are neither big nor small.

> > > Where is the evidence for or against your TPD? Has the medical

> community
> > > accepted and endorsed it?
> > >

> > No negatives. In time, the 2PD approach will likely be proven.

> No negatives? Come on Andy. Let me at least see a "Neutral" opinion from
> credible sources.
>
> What "Time" frame are we talking about, Andy?

I'm not in any hurry. Don't have a book to sell or food to peddle.

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote:

> "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Paul E. Lehmann" wrote:
> >
> > > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in

> message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> <[email protected]>

> data
> > > in

> studies

> would
> > >
> > > Were are the references that state he refused to participate in studies?
> > >

> Don't duck the above question, Andy. Where are the references that prove
> that he refused to participate in studies.

Don't know of any.

> I am sure you are aware of lible
> laws - you seem very interested in them.

Enough to spell it correctly.

> NOTE: Refusing to turn over an
> individuals private medical records is NOT refusing to participate in
> studies.

Is there documentation that Dr. Atkins refused on the grounds of patient
privacy?

--

Jim Chinnis wrote:

> "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in part:
>
> >> "CONCLUSIONS: There is insufficient evidence to make recommendations for or
> >> against the use of low-carbohydrate diets, particularly among participants
> >> older than age 50 years, for use longer than 90 days, or for diets of 20 g/d
> >> or less of carbohydrates."
> >>
> >> NOTE: the conclusions state OR AGAINST .......
> >>

> >Ok, one neutral in a sea of negatives. No positives.

> No matter how much faith you have that a low carbohydrate diet fails in the
> long term, and no matter how often you claim this has been established in
> published studies, the latter is not the case.

However, the former is the case. I see patients that have failed LC dieting all
the time, so I do *know* firsthand.

--

Matti Narkia wrote:

> [...]

> > has demonstrated that low-carbohydrate ketogenic diets can lead to
> > weight loss and favorable changes in serum triglycerides and high-
> > density lipoprotein cholesterol ..."

> Here's one more:
>
> Volek JS, Sharman MJ, Gomez AL, Scheett TP, Kraemer WJ.
> An Isoenergetic Very Low Carbohydrate Diet Improves Serum HDL Cholesterol and
> Triacylglycerol Concentrations, the Total Cholesterol to HDL Cholesterol Ratio
> and Postprandial Lipemic Responses Compared with a Low Fat Diet in Normal
> Weight, Normolipidemic Women.
> J Nutr. 2003 Sep;133(9):2756-61.
> PMID: 12949361 [PubMed - in process]
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12949361&dopt=Abstract
>
> "... Compared with the low fat diet, the very low carbohydrate diet
> increased (P <or= 0.05) fasting serum total cholesterol (16%), LDL

uh-oh.

> and HDL-C (33%) and decreased serum
> triacylglycerols (-30%), the total cholesterol to HDL ratio (-13%)
> and the area under the 8-h postprandial triacylglycerol curve (-31%).
> There were no significant changes in LDL size or markers of
> inflammation (C-reactive protein, interleukin-6, tumor necrosis
> factor-alpha) after the very low carbohydrate diet. ..."

With weight loss, there should be a decrease in CRP. Not sure why normal weight women would sign up for a
low-carb diet study.

> --
> Matti Narkia

Thanks for the references.

--

Matti Narkia wrote:

> Wed, 08 Oct 2003 17:40:04 GMT in article
> <[email protected]> Matti Narkia <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> >
> >Here some newer studies:
> >
> >Foster GD, Wyatt HR, Hill JO, McGuckin BG, Brill C, Mohammed BS, Szapary PO,
> >Rader DJ, Edman JS, Klein S.
> > A randomized trial of a low-carbohydrate diet for obesity.
> >N Engl J Med. 2003 May 22;348(21):2082-90.
> >PMID: 12761365 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
> >http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12761365&dopt=Abstract
> >
> > "... The low-carbohydrate diet produced a greater weight loss
> > (absolute difference, approximately 4 percent) than did the
> > conventional diet for the first six months, but the differences were
> > not significant at one year. The low-carbohydrate diet was associated
> > with a greater improvement in some risk factors for coronary heart
> > disease..."
> >
> >Samaha FF, Iqbal N, Seshadri P, Chicano KL, Daily DA, McGrory J, Williams T,
> >Williams M, Gracely EJ, Stern L.
> > A low-carbohydrate as compared with a low-fat diet in severe obesity.
> >N Engl J Med. 2003 May 22;348(21):2074-81.
> >PMID: 12761364 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
> >http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12761364&dopt=Abstract
> >
> > "... Severely obese subjects with a high prevalence of diabetes or
> > the metabolic syndrome lost more weight during six months on a
> > carbohydrate-restricted diet than on a calorie- and fat-restricted
> > diet, with a relative improvement in insulin sensitivity and
> > triglyceride levels, even after adjustment for the amount of weight
> > lost. ..."
> >

> These studies have been commented in the article
>
> Two Studies Vindicate Atkins Diet
> The Diet Really Does Help People Lose Weight
> http://cbs2chicago.com/health/health_story_141152609.html
>
> --
> Matti Narkia

The bigger concern is the price of the weight loss.

--

Owen Lowe wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > The bigger concern is the price of the weight loss.

> Yeah, all those cardiologists, statin makers, coronary surgery units --
> out of work. ;)

Speaking as a cardiologist, I see disproportionately more advanced disease
in young people who have low-carbed. If everyone stopped low-carbing,
cardiologists, statin makers, open-heart centers would be less busy instead
of more.

The cost to society is enormous.

--

Owen Lowe wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Not sure why normal weight women would sign up for a
> > low-carb diet study.

> LC - it's not just for weight loss anymore.

Yes, it's for raising LDL cholesterol.

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist
http://www.heartmdphd.com/

"Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Paul E. Lehmann" wrote:
>
> > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > message

> > <[email protected]>

more
> > data

> > studies

one
> > would

studies?

for
> > or

> > participants

of 20
> > g/d

> > > Ok, one neutral in a sea of negatives. No positives.

> > That seems to be a pretty BIG neutral from a reputable souce doesn't it
> > Andy.
> >

> Neutrals are neither big nor small.

Depends WHO or WHAT organization issues the neutral rating doesn't it Andy.

> > community
> > > >

> > > No negatives. In time, the 2PD approach will likely be proven.

> > No negatives? Come on Andy. Let me at least see a "Neutral" opinion

from
> > credible sources.
> >
> > What "Time" frame are we talking about, Andy?

> I'm not in any hurry. Don't have a book to sell or food to peddle.

But you ARE promoting your business.

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote:

> "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Paul E. Lehmann" wrote:
> >
> > > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > message

> > > <[email protected]>

> more
> > > data

> > > studies

> one
> > > would

> studies?

> for
> > > or
> > > participants

> of 20
> > > g/d

> > > That seems to be a pretty BIG neutral from a reputable souce doesn't it
> > > Andy.
> > >

> > Neutrals are neither big nor small.

> Depends WHO or WHAT organization issues the neutral rating doesn't it Andy.

> > > community

> > > No negatives? Come on Andy. Let me at least see a "Neutral" opinion

> from
> > > credible sources.
> > >
> > > What "Time" frame are we talking about, Andy?

> > I'm not in any hurry. Don't have a book to sell or food to peddle.

> But you ARE promoting your business.

And what business is that?

Not weight loss?

Nope.

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist
http://www.heartmdphd.com/

"Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Paul E. Lehmann" wrote:
>
> > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > message

> > <[email protected]>

more
> > data

> > studies

one
> > would

studies?

> > Don't duck the above question, Andy. Where are the references that

prove
> > that he refused to participate in studies.

> Don't know of any.

Then you were caught not telling the truth, weren't you Andy.
You stated he refused to participate in studies and now you can not back up
your statement.

> > I am sure you are aware of lible
> > laws - you seem very interested in them.

> Enough to spell it correctly.

Oh, I am sure you are. You seem to spend as much or more time threatening
law suits than anything else.

> > NOTE: Refusing to turn over an
> > individuals private medical records is NOT refusing to participate in
> > studies.

> Is there documentation that Dr. Atkins refused on the grounds of patient
> privacy?

Don't need any. It is the law. But then again, I don't suppose YOU let the
law bother you.

"Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jim Chinnis wrote:

for or

participants

20 g/d

> > >Ok, one neutral in a sea of negatives. No positives.

> > No matter how much faith you have that a low carbohydrate diet fails in

the
> > long term, and no matter how often you claim this has been established

in
> > published studies, the latter is not the case.
> >

> However, the former is the case. I see patients that have failed LC

dieting all
> the time, so I do *know* firsthand.

How many fail on other diets? I am sure you must have the stats and
therefore know first hand. Come on Andy, give us the numbers from your
first hand experience.

> --
> Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
> Board-Certified Cardiologist
> http://www.heartmdphd.com/

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 16:20:49 -0500, "Julianne" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> Yes. Jesus is risen, therefore He is not dead.

>Yeah, but some of the apostles are decidedly napping for a while until the
>second coming.

The Apostles are dead, unrisen (well, unless you are Catholic and
believe that the Pope is Peter). I believe you meant "disciples".

Lift well, Eat less, Walk fast, Live long.