What ratio do you ride?

hippy

Sep 5, 2003
What is your gear ratio and where do you ride (or describe the terrain)?

32/15 SS MTB is undergeared for Melbourne's small hills.
48/18 Street Fix - Only just built so not enough testing time.

Fixie skidders - what ratio do you find works best for long skids?

hippy

I ride a 50 x 19 with a flip flop 18t
roads
hills
up to 18%

do you think this is a substitute for strength training?

40 by 16 giving me 64.4 gear inches. With my cadence cruising this puts me at 16mph, sprints up to 25 mph, whilst stll climbing around 13 mph. This is my cyclecross setup.

On my MTB SS with freewheel I run 44/18 right now.
Tyres fitted are 26x 1.95 Raceline Hiemspheres.
Strickly for the commute, roads & pathways.
OK for easy hills around Melbourne CBD & inner west/north & OK for the headwinds we cop (docklands area & rd along bay)
Comfortable candence I can cruise flats up to approx 30km/hr, optimum @ 24-26kms/hr.

Previously ran 44/16 but I found my little legs had probs towing up some of the hills where the run up is short or tight.

Rocking 46x20 on a fix'd.

Used mostly for commutes, but I'll take it out for a long ride every now and then. Not QUITE satisfied with the speed that it holds, right around 20mph... but I love her anyways.

44x16...fixed gear road bike, mostly flat with some rolling hills. Sometimes I use 42x16 if I know the route has bigger hills.
32x16...SS mtb, mostly flat with shorter climbs. I change to 32x18 for hilly terrain.

I've been riding a 38x17 single speed for a few weeks - did a century up the east side of Mt. St. Helens; also rode RSVP recently. I just got my fixed wheel yesterday and plan to ride a 38x15 or 38x16 at Ironman Canada a week from Sunday. The big one, though, is the 508. I'm giving that one a shot next year. I'm told a couple of guys in the fixed gear division are planning to ride about 66-72 gear inches at Furnace Creek this year.

48x16 SS - mostly flats w/ some rolling hills - North Texas.

78.8 gear inches.

I run a 42-tooth chainring and a flip-flop hub with an 18-tooth cog on the fixed side and a 20-tooth cog on the freewheel side.

stina said:
34x16/18 w/ 26x1.9 tires
48-16 fixed gear KHS flite 100. Holds 30-35kph on a steady cadence and allows for climbing and descending reasonably sized hills.

am going to drop it down to 14-15 for TT in the next few months. I have been going out on it twice a week over the winter and am getting legs of steel!!!!!!

Unfortunately i dont have knees of steel....

48x16, bit of a knee buste on long steep ones, but definitely have noticed a huge improvement in my power since riding fixed

40x18 freewheel
40x16 fixed.

This is in the Hilly East Bay in the SF Bay Area. For me, this gear is a real grinder on the hills, requiring me to stand once in awhile to overcome gravity. Grades around here are 4-8 pct. approximately. :)

46x16, 39x15, 39x16, 50x16, 46x15, 52x15, 42x19, and a few other combinations. 46x16 seems to be magical, best trade-off of speed, climb, and availability of bits.

Skidding: well . . . if you're doing show-off skids the ratio is hardly important, as there will be nearly no weight on the back tyre. You should be able to skid 90+ gear inches if you're doing it right, no problem.

42x16 on my rigid mtb - mostly used for hardpack trails with rolling hills
43x17 on my steel fixie "cross" - mostly used on street or really flat trails
52x18 on my vintage fix - used for whipping around my neighborhood
45x16 on my fixed scorcher - just a townie