What ratio do you ride?

36/17 mountain bike, freewheel, road training

34/17 mountain bike, freewheel, less hilly races

32/17 mountain bike, freewheel, endurance races

Joe

:D Just converted my Kona Smoke to a SS. After thinking about the ratios I rode most often on the geared set up (42 x 15 & 18), decided to go down the middle with 42 x 16. This is spot on for fairly steep climbs and decent speed on flats, also I'm finding my feet don't spin like crazy on down hills.

and didn't need a chain tensioning device! How good is that!

Works even better with Geax City runners 1.25 on presta tubes.

"Gears are for qu**rs" (no offence meant, just sounds good)

hippy said:
What is your gear ratio and where do you ride (or describe the terrain)?

32/15 SS MTB is undergeared for Melbourne's small hills.
48/18 Street Fix - Only just built so not enough testing time.

Fixie skidders - what ratio do you find works best for long skids?

42x17 SS http://www.bobswoodshop.com/DCP_1792.JPG Centurion for the streets and Hills of San Francisco.

MiyataBob

Right now a singlespeed 48x16 with a flip flop and a fixed 14. Ihaven't put many miles on it yet, I like to warm up in the 48x16 and then switch over to the 48x14. It's seems to be great when you have energy... :rolleyes:
I am only using this to prepare for the track. I'd probably run a 48x18 or smaller around town assuming no warm up...

Just had a single speed build using a new Avanti Team Crosa frame and will be riding a ratio of 44/16. Not sure how this will go as have never ridden a single speed before.
Looking at having it for the commute to and from work and also a change from the normal road bike.

I rock the 60X11, I like it, good crusing speed, small enough for the hills.

fixed

39/16 for my road ride (hilly in Marin County)...works great on most rides including commute to SF.

was at 34/16 for the mtb and it was great for flats and moderate hills but changed to a 34/20; works great for hills but spinning like crazy on the flats....hmmm may have to go with an 18t freewheel.

fixed said:
I rock the 60X11, I like it, good crusing speed, small enough for the hills.

fixed
Yeah, a 60x11 is good for spinning, maybe a 92x3 (always liked the triangle cog) for days when you feel like mashing it on flats.

48/16 for me

i've done 29-30mph with very fast spinning...any faster and I'm bouncing in my seat.
Florida=flat
few hills? (mounds?) that you do encounter are very easy climbing

I used a 42x18-19 for the 'cross bike, depending on the course. With an 18, I seem to spin out on the road sections, but it works great if the other parts are grassy, muddy, and very twisty. I might try a 17, or go to a 39x16.

Oskar

My roadie has 53/42/30 11-21 170mm cranks although I never use the 30.

I haven't counted the gear on my track bike, but it has 165mm cranks. It feels good, so I haven't worried about it.

Whats your favourite gear for a track bike being ridden on a concrete track?

48-15 fixed, 40-20 (or something ridiculous low like that) on my beater brakeless freewheel

33:17 17.5" Bianchi S.A.S.S. (aka, My Italian *****'s Ass or Sassy).

It's ideal for the hills and mountains surrounding Salt Lake City. However. . . Not exactly ideal for flat pavement (a lot of STAND-UP PEDAL, PEDAL, PEDAL, PEDAL, PEDAL! cruise. .. and repeat). ;)

48-20 (63") for hilly rides and when the pack is in SLOW mode.

48-19 or 48-17 for when the roads are a little flatter and the pace picks up in the Spring as everyone is getting ready for race and ride season.