What Rear Shock

mastersong

Sep 9, 2003
I have a 2002 Marin Rift Zone with a fox float R rear shock which has started to "squeek" a bit. Actually, it hasn't just started, it started over a year and a half ago so I put it to one side and rode my hard tail again which was great but that's another story...

Anyway, I've given it the basic service but the squeek seems to come from inside the main unit. I've been given a quote of £75 to have it serviced but wonder whether to replace it with a more up to date shock. I have heard that more recent shocks can help reduce the amount of bobbing when pedalling. The bike is a single pivot design.

Can anybody recommend a good shock for this bike, or should I stick with what I've already got.

Thanks,

G.

mastersong said:
I have a 2002 Marin Rift Zone with a fox float R rear shock which has started to "squeek" a bit. Actually, it hasn't just started, it started over a year and a half ago so I put it to one side and rode my hard tail again which was great but that's another story...

Anyway, I've given it the basic service but the squeek seems to come from inside the main unit. I've been given a quote of £75 to have it serviced but wonder whether to replace it with a more up to date shock. I have heard that more recent shocks can help reduce the amount of bobbing when pedalling. The bike is a single pivot design.

Can anybody recommend a good shock for this bike, or should I stick with what I've already got.

Thanks,

G.

Send the shock to Tim at TFTuned (google it) and he will make it better than it was when it was new. Probably get it back within 2 days. Bargain for under £100. Alternatively get something like a fox rp3 but they cost in excess of £200 and might not be worthwhile on such an old bike. CRC had a deal on the manitou swinger shocks a while back but no idea what they are like.

Thanks for that - had a quick look on the website and it looks good. I'll give him a call.

Cheers,

G.

A tunable stable platform shock is best for a single pivot bike. Consider the Manitou Swinger. I haven't used the Fox RP23, but it mostly gets good reviews.