What replaces MRX 7sp grip shift? piece of crap

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ron Hardin, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    My 2nd new MRX 7sp grip shift has self destructed in less than a year, losing its click stops and
    becoming a frictionless friction shifter that you have to hold on the gear.

    Very annoying - I was happy to let one slip by as maybe a fluke. It seems to be a pattern. They
    don't honor the guarantee either. (MRX: if you want to honor your guarantee send me mail and I'll
    let everybody know, if you do.)

    What can I replace it with directly?
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  2. Chris

    Chris Guest

    24,000 miles? Maybe you just plain exceeded the expected working life of a low-end component like
    the MRX shifters. How many cassettes, pairs of tires, and chains have you gone through in this time?
    If I were riding the same bike 27 miles a day, 5 days a week, for three years (that makes 24k
    mioles), buying an occasional shifter set wouldn't bother me - especially if the set were as cheap
    as the MRXs are.

    Chris

    "Ron Hardin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > A Muzi wrote:
    > > And how did it fail? Did the outer body ( the locks-to-the-handlebar
    part)
    > > crack? Or did the intgernal spring mount break off? Just curious.
    >
    > The two new ones had the internal spring break loose, and one failed in
    less
    > than a month. Both have lots of grease still inside them.
    >
    > The one that came with the bike lasted I guess 3 years, which would be 24k
    miles,
    > and had a different construction. It suffered general disintegration,
    both
    > outer body and spring. It seemed to work on a different principle, a
    radius
    > change as you turned it, rather than pulling cable from the end. It was
    hard to
    > tell exactly because it had disintegrated, but it looked clever, something
    of
    > a breakthrough in cable-pulling, like the Sun Tour derailleur was to
    derailleur
    > construction in the 70s.
    >
    > Both R and L shifters that were original failed about the same time, & I
    took it
    > as being from the plastic plasticizing in the sun, since they were not
    used equally.

    > SRAM has an email address and they respond, but won't replace the busted
    things.
    > For $10 I'm not going to send them back to Nashbar! SRAM gets out of
    their guarantee
    > by way of the hassle factor, and they know it.
    > --
    > Ron Hardin [email protected]
    >
    > On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

  3. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Chris wrote:

    > 24,000 miles? Maybe you just plain exceeded the expected working life of a low-end component like
    > the MRX shifters. How many cassettes, pairs of tires, and chains have you gone through in this
    > time? If I were riding the same bike 27 miles a day, 5 days a week, for three years (that makes
    > 24k mioles), buying an occasional shifter set wouldn't bother me - especially if the set were as
    > cheap as the MRXs are.

    The first one was fine. I was complaining about what I replaced it with: two quick failures. If they
    went back to the 1998 model I would be happy.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]