What road bike do I buy for under £800

foyley

Nov 15, 2012
Hi there,

I need some help. I am taking part in a challenge next year (June) where I will be covering miles 500 miles in 6 days from Scotland to Snowdon (Wales)

I am starting my training in December covering about 150 miles a week minimum (as I will be riding to work plus doing some riding at the weekends). Therefore, I want a bike that will last and be comfortable.

I have the following 5 available;-

Specialized Secteur - 2013 Road Bike
Specialized Allez Sport Silver/Black - 2013 Road Bike
Cube Peloton - 2013 Road Bike
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Sora - 2013 Road Bike
Scott Speedster 40 - 2013 Road Bike

Has anyone got any preferences and / or advice on what I should get.

Thanks

You need to test ride as many as you can to see which fit best and ride best. Those factors are the best deciders. Given the challenge ahead of you, you should consider fit with an eye toward long days in the saddle. With that in mind, the Secteur appears to have the most relaxed geometry, but there really isn't a huge difference between all of the bikes for a given size (in terms of virtual top tube length). In terms of quality, it's pretty much a wash between all the bikes.

I know that you didn't post about them, but I think you should take a look at some of the 2013 Forme bikes.
They're pretty good quality and in my opinion, better value for money than the likes of the Scott, Bianchi and Specialized.
I think they're worth a look at least, but from the bikes you've mentioned I would personally go for the Cube Peloton, but I've always been a huge fan of Cube!

Hope that helped you a little!

Shane
The Bike Expert