From: "sydenhams chorea" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: rec.running,alt.support.childfree
Subject: To my friends in r.r and asc, and to newcomer 'ass'.
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:46:21 +0100

The time has come, the Walrus said, to speak of many things...

So, what have I been doing on asc and rec.running since '02 apart from
making a thorough nuisance of myself? Well, I have, my dears, been toying
with you, but not in the way that you've always imagined. The real reason
is so blindingly obvious that I'm stunned, but immensely gratified, that
no-one deduced the answer before now - though I'm firmly convinced that both
Oz Gontang from r.r and 'ass' from the Happy Lobster World have, hence this
post. I'm writing a book. About you and me. Citizen Ted, how could you
not have seen the possibilities?

Why r.r AND asc? Well, I thought initially that rec.running would provide
sufficient material on it's own, but frankly it was rather lacking in
'public interest' controversy. A quick skim through Usenet discovered a
group that was both very active and highly controversial - hello, asc.
Hence my book not only
examines the characters and interactions within each newsgroup, it compares
and contrasts their reaction to an interloper (yours truly) who fails to
observe group norms. Add to the mix some wonderfully controversial opinions
from asc regulars, and the amazingly funny exchanges I've had with many of
you, and the great difficulty has been in deciding what to leave out. My
editor is earning her money.

Usenet is a strange part of the rainbow nation that comprises the 'net.
It's not well known by the general public, it's not as popular a means of
interaction as chatrooms or email, yet it combines elements of both. It
has intimacy, but on a global scale. In other words, some of your writing
is deeply personal, yet it's up on the glowing screen for the world to see.
Only a certain type of person is comfortable in this medium, and you are
uniquely interesting people about whom I've found it remarkably easy to
write.

'Tis a pity you wouldn't invite me to CFBP4; I tried to organise a similar
event in rec.running, but my poor credibility and a production companies
schedule worked against me. Shame, because the publicity I could have
wrung from a genuine Real Life encounter would have been significant. And
on the subject of Real Life, I should note that my current legal advice
suggests that none of the emails I've received or exchanged relating to r.r
or asc should be incorporated into my book. That should cause some of you
to breathe a huge sigh of relief, no?

Please don't squeal 'but I x-no-archived'. YOU placed all of your material
in the public domain when you hit send. As far as my legal advisors are
concerned, I'm free to reprint it verbatim - but not out of context - as I
see fit. If the book is a success and the media chooses to track *you* down
to find out exactly who *you* are, then sorry, that's the nature of the
beast. If the book fails and is pulped, then you have the last laugh - two
years of my life will have been so much wasted typing. God, the thought is
too horrible to contemplate. However, I'll add this caveat; if you
genuinely feel that exposure in my book would compromise your physical,
mental, emotional or financial wellbeing, or that of those you love, then
please contact me NOW stating clearly why you believe this to be the case..
Whatever opinion you have of me, understand that my aim is to make money,
not to damage lives. Most of the m/s is with my editor and, although we're
working towards an early '04 print deadline, deletions or revisions can
still be made if (I, you, we) consider it appropriate. Post-publication,
it will be too late and we'll have to let the courts decide.

I will, no doubt, be subject to fierce literary criticism that I've
engineered encounters within asc and r.r (and also that I have a horrible
tendency to split infinitives and an out-of-control penchant for run-on
sentences). That's true in the sense that I prodded and provoked. But I
had NO control over your reactions to the prodding and provoking, which have
ranged from wry amusement to death threats - yes, all safely archived,
complete with all header details, time stamps, etc. You'll be gratified to
know, 'ass', that your post timed 23:41:53 on the 21st August is already
penned in as my very last page. It encapsulates everything I wanted to say
regarding emotion on Usenet because, in truth, it presents neither of us in
a very favourable light. I'm confident that you, of all people, will
appreciate the irony implicit in our sharing a moment together in the
spotlight. As a result, you may find that people are trying to find *you*
too :)

Usenet is a strange place. I won't try to pretend that I wasn't sucked
deeply into this world, there is too much evidence to the contrary. Did I
really make over 40 posts in one day? Jeeze! I freely concede that some
of my posts went far beyond that which was necessary to achieve my original
aims, and for that I must offer my humble apologies.. The really
disturbing thing is, I can't explain why. Am I the Patty Hearst of Usenet?
Is it hostage syndrome? Instead of writing about you I swiftly became one
of you - maybe even worse than most - and I will actually miss posting on
asc and r.r terribly. Work that one out if you can.

Anyway, I can still be contacted via [email protected] although
the logistics of answering your correspondence now that *I'm* not actually
there means that some delay may occur before you receive a reply. I should
note that if you continue mail bombing this account you're effectively
denying access to those people who may have good reason not to appear in my
book - currently I've left instructions to delete all email, unless the
posting address matches the posting address currently or previously used by
an asc or .r r poster between 12.04.02 and 21.08.03. Yes, it's quite a big
database.

I'll close this odd episode in our lives by saying 'thanks for your time,
your words, and your emotions.' If this book turns out to be a twisted
'84, Charing Cross Road' for the Usenet generation, I'll see you at the book
signings. If it disappears into the mire, then I hope you had some laughs
at / with me. Stay happy.

Roger.Jo.Dole boy.Zero. <buy the book and read the 'author' credits if
you're still curious>

"Ozzie Gontang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:200720042153147846%[email protected]...

> A connection? I don't know.

Numptie. You should by now.

> A return of "Roger.Jo.Dole boy.Zero, Sydenhams?"

Oui.

>Just wondering as I looked over some of the musings of np426z.

Ah, you've been peeking into the dark, duplicitous, world of trolls, haven't
you? You shouldn't. Remember how queasy it made you feel the last time
you tried?