What route did the London to Oxford ride take?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Only_me, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. Only_me

    Only_me Guest

    Hello,

    I live in Cookham and saw a load of bikes speeding through last sunday. I managed to ask one cyclist
    what the event was and was told it was the London to Oxford.

    Can anyone who did the ride let me know the route that was taken as I'd like to the ride myself
    before the end of the summer. The more detail the better.

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] (Only_me) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Can anyone who did the ride let me know the route that was taken as I'd like to the ride myself
    > before the end of the summer. The more detail the better.

    Richmond Green, Richmond Bridge,Isleworth,Heston,Cranford,Harlington,Iver, Fulmer,Burnham
    Beeches,Cookham,Marlow,Frieth,Turville,Christmas
    Common,Watlington,Chalgrove,Stadhampton,Cowley,Magdalen Bridge,Carfax,ChristChurch, finish
    Oxford Ice Rink.

    I'm sure the route card showed a curved route following the lanes between Turville and Christmas
    Common - but the ride went up the much straighter and ?steeper direct route (that I don't think is
    even coloured yellow on my map).

    Regards, Tim

  3. Henry Braun

    Henry Braun Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003, Tim Henderson wrote:
    > Richmond Green, Richmond Bridge,Isleworth,Heston,Cranford,Harlington,Iver, Fulmer,Burnham
    > Beeches,Cookham,Marlow,Frieth,Turville,Christmas
    > Common,Watlington,Chalgrove,Stadhampton,Cowley,Magdalen Bridge,Carfax,ChristChurch, finish Oxford
    > Ice Rink.
    >
    > I'm sure the route card showed a curved route following the lanes between Turville and Christmas
    > Common - but the ride went up the much straighter and ?steeper direct route (that I don't think is
    > even coloured yellow on my map).

    On mine it's a narrow yellow colour, if you mean the road under the arrow at:

    www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=475360&y=191660&z=4&sv=475500,191500&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&sea-
    rchp=newsearch.srf

    That's one of my favourite ways in the area, too. It's not really any steeper than the steep bit
    between Turville and Turville Heath, which is I think on your curved route; perhaps it's a bit
    relentlesser.

    At Chalgrove it's worth taking the detour into the village (as the ride did, I think) rather than
    continuing along the main road past the airfield where the road surface is very juddery and
    unpleasant to ride on.