What Rx mtb glasses for XC?

John

Guest
What Rx mtb glasses do you suggest for XC? I saw a pair of Bolle Vigilante with interchangeable lens
& an RX insert. Are they trail worthy? Thanks. John

On 11 Dec 2002 17:05:28 -0800, [email protected] (John) wrote:

>What Rx mtb glasses do you suggest for XC? I saw a pair of Bolle Vigilante with interchangeable
>lens & an RX insert. Are they trail worthy? Thanks. John

Hey John, good to see you on the NG!

MTBguy.ca

>What Rx mtb glasses do you suggest for XC? I saw a pair of Bolle Vigilante with interchangeable
>lens & an RX insert. Are they trail worthy? Thanks. John

Pick your favorite non RX shades and send them to Sved Optics for an RXinsert. I'm still very happy
with the pair of Smith Sliders they did for me a couple years ago.

Cheers,

-Andrew

MTBguy <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hey John, good to see you on the NG!
>
> MTBguy.ca

Hi Stuart, I'm here everyday lurking in the background or getting a fix at Pete Fagerlin's site from
one of his videos. I saw the Kanata Mountain Biking site. Great site. We'll definately be riding
there next season. Maybe even an ice ride. John

[email protected] (Andrew Thorne) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Pick your favorite non RX shades and send them to Sved Optics for an RXinsert. I'm still very
> happy with the pair of Smith Sliders they did for me a couple years ago.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Andrew
Good idea. I thought about that but then the Rx insert is dedicated to that shade. With the Bolle's
you can swap out the shades for different types of daylight or nightlight. I prefer the choices of
non RX frames but the Rx lens is dedicated afterwards. Then the Bolle's seem more versatile. Maybe
it's just my perception. Any real world wearers out there. Maybe there is a versatile dedicated lens
out there. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks John

"Andrew Thorne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >[email protected] (Andrew Thorne) wrote in message
> >news:<[email protected]>...
> >> Pick your favorite non RX shades and send them to Sved Optics for an
> >RXinsert.
> >> I'm still very happy with the pair of Smith Sliders they did for me a
> >couple
> >> years ago.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> -Andrew
> >Good idea. I thought about that but then the Rx insert is dedicated to that shade. With the
> >Bolle's you can swap out the shades for different types of daylight or nightlight. I prefer the
> >choices of non RX frames but the Rx lens is dedicated afterwards. Then the Bolle's seem more
> >versatile. Maybe it's just my perception. Any real world wearers out there. Maybe there is a
> >versatile dedicated lens out there. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks John
> >

> The Sliders have easily swappable lenses. - that's why I chose to have
those
> done up. I usually ride in the woods in yellow or clear, road ride in
orange,
> and drive in the dark brown.
>
> If you prefer the look of the Bolles by all means get 'em. I'm just not a
fan
> of the whole late 80's one piece lens thing.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Andrew

By your comment about the one piece lenses I can tell you don't know what current Bolle glasse look
like.. None of 'em use one piece lens anymore and most of them are just as stylish as the Sliders.

I have a pair of Bolle Edge from the mid-nineties and a pair of 2000 Vigilantes - both with Rx
inserts. While I prefer the way the Vigilantes look, in terms of utility and protection, I'll take
Edge style anyday. Bigger lenses mean better coverage. The Vigilantes smaller lenses let in way too
much wind, sun and bugs compared to the Edges and the lens insert on them fit way too close to the
face so they get sweated and steamed up much easier.

I considered the SVED optics route but my Rx is outside the range they're capable of doing with
their system. If I was going to do another set of Rx sport glasses, I'd definitely look into Rudy
Projects - most likely the RB3 model with the flip up lens. I think this feature would be most
useful for the rides I do that dip in and out of dark wooded sections.