What Rx mtb glasses for XC?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by John, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    What Rx mtb glasses do you suggest for XC? I saw a pair of Bolle Vigilante with interchangeable lens
    & an RX insert. Are they trail worthy? Thanks. John

    Tags:

  2. Mtbguy

    Mtbguy Guest

    On 11 Dec 2002 17:05:28 -0800, [email protected] (John) wrote:

    >What Rx mtb glasses do you suggest for XC? I saw a pair of Bolle Vigilante with interchangeable
    >lens & an RX insert. Are they trail worthy? Thanks. John

    Hey John, good to see you on the NG!

    MTBguy.ca

  3. >What Rx mtb glasses do you suggest for XC? I saw a pair of Bolle Vigilante with interchangeable
    >lens & an RX insert. Are they trail worthy? Thanks. John

    Pick your favorite non RX shades and send them to Sved Optics for an RXinsert. I'm still very happy
    with the pair of Smith Sliders they did for me a couple years ago.

    Cheers,

    -Andrew

  4. John

    John Guest

    MTBguy <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hey John, good to see you on the NG!
    >
    > MTBguy.ca

    Hi Stuart, I'm here everyday lurking in the background or getting a fix at Pete Fagerlin's site from
    one of his videos. I saw the Kanata Mountain Biking site. Great site. We'll definately be riding
    there next season. Maybe even an ice ride. John

  5. John

    John Guest

    [email protected] (Andrew Thorne) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Pick your favorite non RX shades and send them to Sved Optics for an RXinsert. I'm still very
    > happy with the pair of Smith Sliders they did for me a couple years ago.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > -Andrew
    Good idea. I thought about that but then the Rx insert is dedicated to that shade. With the Bolle's
    you can swap out the shades for different types of daylight or nightlight. I prefer the choices of
    non RX frames but the Rx lens is dedicated afterwards. Then the Bolle's seem more versatile. Maybe
    it's just my perception. Any real world wearers out there. Maybe there is a versatile dedicated lens
    out there. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks John

  6. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    "Andrew Thorne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >[email protected] (Andrew Thorne) wrote in message
    > >news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> Pick your favorite non RX shades and send them to Sved Optics for an
    > >RXinsert.
    > >> I'm still very happy with the pair of Smith Sliders they did for me a
    > >couple
    > >> years ago.
    > >>
    > >> Cheers,
    > >>
    > >> -Andrew
    > >Good idea. I thought about that but then the Rx insert is dedicated to that shade. With the
    > >Bolle's you can swap out the shades for different types of daylight or nightlight. I prefer the
    > >choices of non RX frames but the Rx lens is dedicated afterwards. Then the Bolle's seem more
    > >versatile. Maybe it's just my perception. Any real world wearers out there. Maybe there is a
    > >versatile dedicated lens out there. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks John
    > >

    > The Sliders have easily swappable lenses. - that's why I chose to have
    those
    > done up. I usually ride in the woods in yellow or clear, road ride in
    orange,
    > and drive in the dark brown.
    >
    > If you prefer the look of the Bolles by all means get 'em. I'm just not a
    fan
    > of the whole late 80's one piece lens thing.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > -Andrew

    By your comment about the one piece lenses I can tell you don't know what current Bolle glasse look
    like.. None of 'em use one piece lens anymore and most of them are just as stylish as the Sliders.

    I have a pair of Bolle Edge from the mid-nineties and a pair of 2000 Vigilantes - both with Rx
    inserts. While I prefer the way the Vigilantes look, in terms of utility and protection, I'll take
    Edge style anyday. Bigger lenses mean better coverage. The Vigilantes smaller lenses let in way too
    much wind, sun and bugs compared to the Edges and the lens insert on them fit way too close to the
    face so they get sweated and steamed up much easier.

    I considered the SVED optics route but my Rx is outside the range they're capable of doing with
    their system. If I was going to do another set of Rx sport glasses, I'd definitely look into Rudy
    Projects - most likely the RB3 model with the flip up lens. I think this feature would be most
    useful for the rides I do that dip in and out of dark wooded sections.