Road Cycling · Public discussion

What's in your first aid kit?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 5 posts · 392 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
12 March 2006
Last activity
12 March 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
392
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hiya:
    Had a small incident on a group ride, but at least I wasn't the one
    bleeding (someone cut themselves on a sharp edge while checking a shoe
    cleat bolt head). The upshot -- I'm going to have to find a red bag for
    my first aid kit, because the blue pouch I'd tossed it in just hid and
    would not be found when needed.
    In mine: five of those 3 inch by 4 inch big bandaids, five really
    small bandaids, alcohol swabs and antibiotic ointment pouches. How
    about yours? Any suggestions for commuting/day ride level supplies?

    Robert Leone [email hidden]

  2. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In mine: five of those 3 inch by 4 inch big bandaids, five really
    small bandaids, alcohol swabs and antibiotic ointment pouches. How
    about yours? Any suggestions for commuting/day ride level supplies?

    My ouch pouch contains: one large bandaid, several smaller ones, antibiotic
    ointment, antisceptic towelettes, and a small thing of ibuprophen. Then
    there's a small bottle of sunscreen and chapstick, stored separately.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
    Sponsor me for the Big Climb! See: www.active.com/donate/cpetersky06
    See the books I've set free at:
    http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  3. Quoted message said:

    Hiya:
    Had a small incident on a group ride, but at least I wasn't the one
    bleeding (someone cut themselves on a sharp edge while checking a shoe
    cleat bolt head). The upshot -- I'm going to have to find a red bag for
    my first aid kit, because the blue pouch I'd tossed it in just hid and
    would not be found when needed.
    In mine: five of those 3 inch by 4 inch big bandaids, five really
    small bandaids, alcohol swabs and antibiotic ointment pouches. How
    about yours? Any suggestions for commuting/day ride level supplies?

    For mountain biking things are a little different. I've found a small
    compression bandage (Ace) really handy for when you smack a shin, it
    prevents the goose egg, which can take weeks to go away. I also pack
    duct tape, which sticks much better to sweaty skin than medical tape.
    Some gauze pads, some insect repellent (handy individually sealed
    towelettes now available), a few paper towels folded small in a zip
    lock, a space blanket and a plastic trash back (DIY poncho). I carry
    some of this for ultra road rides along with Ibuprofen, antacids,
    sunblock, Chapstick, a bit of diaper rash ointment (A&D). I put the
    pills in a film canister (packed with cotton, else they turn to powder),
    and wrap the outside with the tape. I don't bother with this stuff for
    day road rides. I keep a full first aid kit in the car along with a
    blanket, big compression bandage and one of those chemical cold packs.

  4. [email hidden] wrote in news:1142172246.312788.42330
    @i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    Quoted message said:

    Hiya:
    Had a small incident on a group ride, but at least I wasn't the one
    bleeding (someone cut themselves on a sharp edge while checking a shoe
    cleat bolt head). The upshot -- I'm going to have to find a red bag for
    my first aid kit, because the blue pouch I'd tossed it in just hid and
    would not be found when needed.
    In mine: five of those 3 inch by 4 inch big bandaids, five really
    small bandaids, alcohol swabs and antibiotic ointment pouches. How
    about yours? Any suggestions for commuting/day ride level supplies?

    Robert Leone [email hidden]

    I usually keep a couple clean red shop cloths (ala the gundecks on the old
    wooden ships of the line), two full bottles of water and a scanned image of
    my license and health plan card (sensitive numbers blacked out) in the
    seatpack along with some bandaids/gauze pads and swab packs (fill in empty
    volumen in tube repair kit). It all fits nicely, especially if I take out
    the lights and mount them for a ride.

  5. As a less painful (IMHO) alternative to alcohol swabs, might I suggest
    a small bottle of hydrogen peroxide? It does just as good a job on
    cleaning and sterilizing but it doesn't sting. What can I say? I'm a
    wuss.

    You might want to consider adding:
    - tylenol or ibuprofen
    - gauze pads and tape
    - antihistamines (in case someone gets stung by a little nasty and
    turns out to be highly allergic - not everyone knows that they're
    allergic)
    - a quarter to make a phone call (presupposes access to a payphone)
    - a cellphone (presupposes access to a tower)

    Have you taken an emergency first aid course? That is probably more
    useful than a first aid kit, per se.

    Jeff

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.