UK and Europe · Public discussion

What's my bike worth?

Started by Ace · · Last activity · 4 posts · 216 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
20 July 2007
Last activity
20 July 2007
Original author
Ace
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
216
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just getting it out and stuff has lead me to wonder how much my
    Mercian would be worth (in the UK, obviously, not here). I've no idea
    if it's more or less valuable than a new, similar spec bike, but
    thought I'd throw the question open to the experts here.
    Here's the spec:

    Originally built as an Audax bike (1987)[1] 24.5" frame, all 531
    tubing, factory resprayed in 1991 and well kept since then, so nearly
    pristine in pearl British Racing green with silver lug lining. Two
    sets of bottle cage bosses.
    Wheels are hand-built Mavic MA2 alloy rims on Exage 'sport' hubs.
    Shimano RX100 dual pivot brakes.
    " 105 brake lever/shifters
    " 105 dual crankset 52/39
    7 speed rear HG cassette fitted by me (originally a 6 speed)
    Front derailleur is a Deore LX, rear is a basic Shimano 'A', not
    fitted by me, but both work well.
    Cinelli drop bars and stem.

    Can't think of anything else relevant, so any opinions would be very
    welcome. I've got most of the original kit (suntour gears, exage
    brakes, pretty [censored] by modern standards) if it'd be preferred. It's a
    lovely bike, and I used to enjoy using it a lot for my 20 mile commute
    between MK and Bedford in the late '90s. Not been used since 2000 when
    I moved over the channel.

    If it is actually worth anything I might consider selling it if, as I
    suspect, I find that my MTBs give me all I'm likely to need in a bike.

    [1] According to my mate who's worked there since 1974.
    --
    Ace in Alsace - brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom

  2. Ace said:

    Just getting it out and stuff has lead me to wonder how much my
    Mercian would be worth

    Ace, this is not the place to ask.
    Hie thee to anothercyclingforum.com and describe the bike there.

  3. Ace said:

    Just getting it out and stuff has lead me to wonder how much my
    Mercian would be worth (in the UK, obviously, not here).

    A 1980s Mercian frame and forks just went for £161 on ebay - I was
    thinking of bidding, but it went rather above what I was prepared to
    pay, given how much more it would cost to make a working bike. I guess
    your frame is similar and ready to ride.

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mercian-56cm-hand-build-road-bike-frame-forks_W0QQitemZ140137855229QQihZ004QQcategoryZ22679QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    Quoted message said:

    If it is actually worth anything

    sounds like it could be.

    Rob

  4. As John said, the best place is acf -
    http://www.anothercyclingforum.com/index.php. Just post your question on
    there. I am sure you will get lots of helpful information.

    Stuart

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.