UK and Europe · Public discussion

What's this liable to cost?

Started by Doki · · Last activity · 5 posts · 753 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
11 March 2004
Last activity
12 March 2004
Original author
Doki
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
753
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've noticed that one or two of the middle sprockets on the
    back are looking a bit worn, and the middle chainring on
    the front is missing a tooth somehow. Any ideas on what
    getting it sorted at the bike shop is likely to cost (I'm
    new to all this so lacking clue)? The gears are of the
    cassette flavour.

  2. Doki said:

    I've noticed that one or two of the middle sprockets on
    the back are looking a bit worn, and the middle chainring
    on the front is missing a tooth somehow. Any ideas on what
    getting it sorted at the bike shop is likely to cost (I'm
    new to all this so lacking clue)? The gears are of the
    cassette flavour.

    Easier and cheaper to buy new cassette than individual
    spockets. Cassette: £15 to £25 plus a few quid for fitting.
    A new chain may be required as well: £6 - £13+.

    Chainring is more tricky. First of all, are you sure it's
    really damaged - because they can have all sorts of half-
    size and weirdly shaped teeth? New ones can cost anywhere
    from £4 to £15 and beyond, and some can't be replaced at all
    because they're riveted.

    It may not all need replacing yet. You've got three choices:

    1. Carry on with everything. Might as well if either:
    a) Chain & cogs aren't actually worn much yet* (chain
    not elongated >
    1/16"*) or
    b) Whole lot including chainrings are already worse for
    wear* (or if don't care about wearing chainrings).
    note. Chain will eventually skip over the worn-out
    sprocket teeth, possibly after further mileage into
    four figures. Not a very dangerous practice, IMO,
    because the first signs skipping will be slight - but
    it is important to change parts promptly after that.

    2. Fit a new chain but keep cassette and chainrings. This
    may be reasonable and possible if chain elongation is
    between 1/16" and 1/8"*. New sprockets can always be
    fitted afterwards if new chain skipped.

    3. Fit new cassette and chain (and chainrings if
    necessary).

    * www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

    ~PB

  3. On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:23:47 -0000, in
    <[email hidden]>, "Doki"

    Quoted message said:

    I've noticed that one or two of the middle sprockets on the
    back are looking a bit worn, and the middle chainring on
    the front is missing a tooth somehow. Any ideas on what
    getting it sorted at the bike shop is likely to cost (I'm
    new to all this so lacking clue)? The gears are of the
    cassette flavour.

    I may have completely misread a previous thread but wasn't
    your bike new?

    --
    DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which
    appears in my inbox is mine to do what I like with. Anything
    which is sent to me (whether intended or not) may, if I so
    desire, form a legal and binding contract.

  4. On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:23:47 -0000, in
    <[email hidden]>, "Doki"

    Quoted message said:

    I've noticed that one or two of the middle sprockets on the
    back are looking a bit worn, and the middle chainring on
    the front is missing a tooth somehow. Any ideas on what
    getting it sorted at the bike shop is likely to cost (I'm
    new to all this so lacking clue)? The gears are of the
    cassette flavour.

    I may have completely misread a previous thread but wasn't
    your bike new?

    --
    DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which
    appears in my inbox is mine to do what I like with. Anything
    which is sent to me (whether intended or not) may, if I so
    desire, form a legal and binding contract.

  5. On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 20:02:44 -0000, in
    <[email hidden]>, "Doki"

    Quoted message said:

    If they do come with odd shaped teeth, does it matter if
    it's missing one? I've not really looked closely at it, but
    it certainly isn't bent. If they are riveted together,
    what's to stop me swapping the duff one and riveting it all
    back together?

    Some chainrings, as Pete said, are intentionally bent
    sideways or shorter than the adjacent ones. This is to
    assist smooth shifting (something I think to do with lifting
    the chain of the teeth rather than simply dragging it
    sideways).

    There are a couple of things that will stop you replacing
    the duff one and re-rivetting:

    1) You will probably not be able to buy a single chainring
    of the type intended to be sold as a pre-rivetted set.
    However, I don't know this for certain.

    2) Would you be able to guarantee that you would rivet it
    back together exactly centrally?

    I myself would certainly either buy a new rivetted set or I
    would take the opportunity to upgrade to a new chainset that
    is of the bolt-together type. This will make future upgrades
    easier and you will possibly find that as you really get the
    cycling bug you'll be thinking along the lines of "Hmmmm I
    need a bigger bombing gear so I'll buy a bigger outer ring,
    but I want to lug loads of heavy luggage up steep hills so
    maybe I'll buy a smaller inner ring, but Hmmm then that
    creates some duplicate gear ratios so if I replace the
    middle ring with something 2 teeth bigger then it'll all be
    ticketty-boo".

    Quoted message said:

    I'll let it slide until I've got some decent lights then. I
    assume swapping entire cassettes and so on is simple
    enough? It's not like I'm riding a hundred miles a week.

    Simple, yes. You will need a few tools tho: A cassette
    lockring remover (few quid from Halfords), chain whip (few
    more quid from halfords (or a cheaper option is an oil
    filter wrench from a car spares shop)), and a nice big
    adjustable spanner.

    HTH Rich x

    --
    DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which
    appears in my inbox is mine to do what I like with. Anything
    which is sent to me (whether intended or not) may, if I so
    desire, form a legal and binding contract.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.