what saddle do you use and why?

miater

Nov 9, 2003
just looking for as many thoughts on the issue as i can read.

the saddle that came on my 03 tourmalet is too soft. it s a CR2x or something like that

i use a Selle Italia SLR saddle.

i used an original Flite saddle for over a decade and was looking to replace it. i tried a Terry Dragonfly (one of their more minimally padded versions with cutout) and found it pretty uncomfortable. the SLR was more similar in shape to the Flite.

bottom line is that what works for one pelvis may not work for yours. it can be a frustrating trial and error process. for me, though, more minimal padding works better since the pressure is more isolated to the bones. the bigger padding saddles tend to shift pressure to the soft tissue areas.

good luck.

Tried an overly padded Selle saddle, downright uncomfortable after an hour. Serfas dd vado just didn't fit me. Fizik Pave was pretty good. Finally settled on a Selle Trans Am SLR. It's comfortable for longer rides, if you sit on it in just the right position; it has a rather narrow 'sweet spot'. Be aware also that it's a very lightweight seat, for a lighter person. I've heard of some dimensionally enhanced riders breaking the SLR's.

You'll probably have to go through pretty much the same process of trial and error. Might watch ebay for scruffy examples you can pick up cheap. I got the fizik pave and a slightly torn Trans Am there. When I liked the trans am, I bought a new one.

I ride Selle Italia Flite Ti saddles on my mtb and road rigs. I tried one of those SLR-XP saddles (they're about 185g) on my road bike, but the edges kept rubbing my inner thighs -- very uncomfortable.

I like the Flite saddle for several reasons:
1) it's fairly light (~230g)
2) it has long rails for greater adjustability
3) the saddle is long for more sitting positions on long rides
4) it's narrow so you don't get inner thigh chafage
5) it's one of the longest lived models in Selle Italia's line up (my mtb saddle is 13 years old -- and hammered too).

Selle Italia Slr because it is the best.

Tried them all. Two weeks on am SLR and you'll never go back

I like the new SSM Aspide. I picked it for my new bike because I liked the SSM ERA. It's firm, lightweight, and no numbness. As they say, it works for me.

But, I haven't tried them all, not even the SLR. May like that also.

Originally posted by miater

the saddle that came on my 03 tourmalet is too soft. it s a CR2x or something like that

Use a MTB (Wilderness Trail Bikes) SST, it makes 100 md easy on this ole 60 body.

I am doing pretty good in my brooks pro team. I could use a bit narrower saddle as I am over weight and I get some crotch rub. but it is only one one side so a bit of seak skew fixed it. the nose can put some pressue on after a hours ride. but that may just be me. a little life on the bars releived that.

Brooks Swift. I bought a used mountain bike from a friend that had an old Brooks (at least 15 years) and it was the most comfortable saddle I had ever tried! So, I researched what Brooks is up to these days and the Swift is the best option for me. It is a little heavy but not too bad (360 i think). I am willing to carry the extra 150 grams or so for the pleasure of such a confortable ride. Plus, I'll loose the weight on replacing other components......

I was using the stock giant saddle but i was getting a bit sore on long rides.

Recently i had the opportunity to try a fizik cp vitesse (its a chicks saddle) but its way more comfortable than my old saddle so i have borrowed it from my girlfriend.

Its got a funny sort of upturned rear which rotates your hips forward but its still heaps better than the old saddle

Selle San Marco Era K.

Saddles are very personal, more so that probably any other component. One thing to remember though (for newbies) is you have to get your butt in shape. What may end up the most comfortable saddle for you probebly will be a pain in the rear for the first several long rides. Conversely that big ole spring mounted couch won't cut it for long.

Good point, Capwater -- a newer cyclist's first thousand miles will be a bit brutal on any saddle. I think a lot of new riders get discouraged by butt-pain early on and switch to softer saddles... which for many ends up being a miscalculation they pay for on their first +50 mile excursion.

There are no golden rules when it comes to saddles, but one suggestion would be to use the firmest seat your bones and muscles can tolerate. The aches and general soreness will improve over time -- but nerve-pinching, artery-clamping, and genital numbness caused by ill-placed excess padding will only get worse.

All butts are different, so it's a crapshoot. Trial and error is a must; luck helps.

One final aspect is positioning. A great saddle which is ill-positioned will not be fun. Elevation and forward/backward relationship is a huge factor in fit. Good point by lokstah on the hard saddle. Many of my mates wonder how I can endure 4 plus hours on my saddle, butt it's all about conditioning.

I use Selle Italia SLR's on both my road bikes and my MTB race bike, with a good ol' Flite Ti on my other MTB, if you like the Flite's i suggest trying the SLR, I've never looked back!

Nick Evans

Originally posted by miater

I ride a Selle Italia Prolink. I had prostate CA and had surgery. I historically rode a Brooks B15 bar hard saddle for years and before the surgery had a Flyte Ti hard saddle. I looked long and hard to find the right one and that is what I came up with. It, like everything else, to do with cycling is personal preference so try before you buy. Its your butt...