What seats are everyone using?

bfra1

New Member
Nov 24, 2003
I'm looking to replace my road bike seat and am wondering what will be more comfortable that my current brick.
I'd love to know what seats are popular with the road riders.

"bfra1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'm looking to replace my road bike seat and am wondering what will be
> more comfortable that my current brick.
> I'd love to know what seats are popular with the road riders.

Selle Italia Gel Flite on mine.

I want to try some others out though.
The Fizik Arione sounds interesting and
I want to try one of the saddles with the
groove cut out of the middle..

hippy

bfra1 said:
I'm looking to replace my road bike seat and am wondering what will be more comfortable that my current brick.
I'd love to know what seats are popular with the road riders.

San Marco Era Pro - about $167 at Cecil Walker. It's not the lightest, heaviest, cheapest, dearest, hardest or softest, which makes it a reasonable compromise.

I can't speak for its popularity, but comfort-wise, it is _not_ as comfortable as my armchair recliner.

Ritch

hippy wrote:

> Selle Italia Gel Flite on mine.

Flite Titanium (titanium rails) on the fixed gear, basic Flite (tubular
CrMo rails) on the roadie.

I reckon the Flite Evolution 3 (carbon top, titanium rails) is the ducks
guts. only wusses sit on the seat, anyway!

Cheers,

Suzy (back to a real news-reader, at last)

mine is an oldy off a track bike
Black plastic , made in italy.......
Im so use to it now i cant ride anything else....& its light to.....
My son took my original one , a velo as he refused to use the plastic one
that came with his Swannee track bike so to prove its as good as any i used
it ...got used to it after a while......I will get the brand tonight not
that anybody is going to rush out & find one

bfra1 wrote:
> I'm looking to replace my road bike seat and am wondering what will be
> more comfortable that my current brick.
> I'd love to know what seats are popular with the road riders.

Fizik Arione and a Selle San Marco Squadra.

(and a WTB Rocket V on the mtb, which I reckon would also be good on a
roadie)

--
Nick

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:06:38 +1000, bfra1
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm looking to replace my road bike seat and am wondering what will be
>more comfortable that my current brick.
>I'd love to know what seats are popular with the road riders.

Selle Italia Trans Am Max. A bit wider than the Flight. Just right for
those of us who are not built like Lance :)

Stay away from gel anything. The gel transfers the pressure from where
it should be to the squishy bits. Not good for your sex life.

--
Regards.
Richard.

BG said:
mine is an oldy off a track bike
Black plastic , made in italy.......
Im so use to it now i cant ride anything else....& its light to.....
My son took my original one , a velo as he refused to use the plastic one
that came with his Swannee track bike so to prove its as good as any i used
it ...got used to it after a while......I will get the brand tonight not
that anybody is going to rush out & find one

Selle San Marco rolls 2 Saddle

keep going back to it but am due to try something new

was eyeing off Geoff's saddle, selle sleek, light looking thing
altho maybe a carbon seatpost might give me mre benefit as my bum likes my saddle...

I can only see the Re: and not the original thread so I'll reply here...Rolls (san marco) and it's neigh on 8yrs
old...it's rooted! I need a new saddle! I'd buy a new Rolls if I could find one, I just haven't looked. I'm a cheap lazy
*******...if it works, don't fix it...lol. Gawd I'm cheap. My sore **** Vs $X0...idiot that I am.

G.

flyingdutch said:
Selle San Marco rolls 2 Saddle

keep going back to it but am due to try something new

was eyeing off Geoff's saddle, selle sleek, light looking thing
altho maybe a carbon seatpost might give me mre benefit as my bum likes my saddle...

ive got selle italia flight transam (titanium rails) not the cushiest saddle but seems to fit me fine.
Dutch.....did you say that you were looking at Geoff's saddle? thats sick. kids look away...wierdo online :eek:

bfra1 said:
I'm looking to replace my road bike seat and am wondering what will be more comfortable that my current brick.
I'd love to know what seats are popular with the road riders.
The stock FUJI seat thats like....an inch thick tops.

"Richard Sherratt" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
> Selle Italia Trans Am Max. A bit wider than the Flight. Just right for
> those of us who are not built like Lance :)
>
> Stay away from gel anything. The gel transfers the pressure from where
> it should be to the squishy bits. Not good for your sex life.

The Flite's gel pads are very thin and positioned
where the sit bones contact the saddle. They're
not like those bean-bag style exercise-bike
saddles..

hippy

"tonykara" <[email protected]
> flyingdutch Wrote:
> > was eyeing off Geoff's saddle, selle sleek, light looking thing
> > altho maybe a carbon seatpost might give me mre benefit as my bum likes
> > my saddle...

> ive got selle italia flight transam (titanium rails) not the cushiest
> saddle but seems to fit me fine.

One of those might be an alternative for my.. uh.. sprinter's
butt :) They're wider than standard Flite, yeah?

> Dutch.....did you say that you were looking at Geoff's saddle? thats
> sick. kids look away...wierdo online :eek:

I let that one slide.. I'm a nice guy ;-)

hippy

> "tonykara" <[email protected]
> > flyingdutch Wrote:
> > > was eyeing off Geoff's saddle, selle sleek, light looking thing
> > > altho maybe a carbon seatpost might give me mre benefit as my bum

likes
> > > my saddle...

> > ive got selle italia flight transam (titanium rails) not the cushiest
> > saddle but seems to fit me fine.

> One of those might be an alternative for my.. uh.. sprinter's
> butt :) They're wider than standard Flite, yeah?
>
> hippy

I bought one but it doesn't fit me. It's not too bad, I tried it for a week,
moved it around to try and find the sweet spot but after about 80km I just
couldn't stay comfortable. The cutout seems to work though. Also got a older
Trimatic that's even worse that I call the "ass-hatchet" :) Gone back to the
el-cheapo specialized till I find something better. I've read all the theory
but I just seem to need a bit more padding under the sit bones.

If anyone is interested in either (try them out if you're in brisbane) let
me know. I was thinking of trying a san marco rolls.

Adam

Serfas Stinger series performance saddles made for Serfas by the the World's
largest mid to high-end saddle manufacturer Velo , Ti rails etc. for under
100$
http://www.serfas.com/racing_saddles/index_racing.html
Steve
@IDEAL

PS. this brand doesn't sponsor big pro teams so you won't be paying that
premium.

news:[email protected]...

bfra1 said:
I'm looking to replace my road bike seat and am wondering what will be more comfortable that my current brick.
I'd love to know what seats are popular with the road riders.

add me as another vote for the venerable Flite series - last
one I had a was flite Ti transam (non-gel), absolutely the most
comfortable saddle I've had (had been on a standard flite before that).

Only problem is my wife (having suffered thru trying various 'womens'
saddles) has now nicked it (and is equally happy on it as I was), leaving
me on a Fizik Arione, which is ok (the extra length and really flat
profile suits the way I tend to fidget on the hills, but a little wide/flat at the back), but not as comfy on really long rides.

I'm also using a Fizik Gobi (the 'mtb' version of the Arione
on the mountainbike), and I reckon it'd be great on the road too (slightly
narrower than the Arione which would be ideal).

Now if only flites didn't suffer from sag after a few years....

hippy said:
"Steve" <[email protected]> wrote
> Serfas Stinger series performance saddles made for Serfas by the the

World's
> largest mid to high-end saddle manufacturer Velo , Ti rails etc. for

under 100$
> http://www.serfas.com/racing_saddles/index_racing.html

These look alright and the price is half that of a
Selle Italia or San Marco.. so has anyone used
these? How's the durability/finish/features/comfort?

hippy

I actually used a Velo 'Jet' (absolute 100% Flite ripoff) in the early 90s ,
and it was good - nice leather cover, felt pretty much the same
as the real thing and lasted incredibly well (it's still lurking in a dark
corner of my garage - had been on the mag trainer bike 'til this winter).

Just watch out for the Velo's with the silly rubber 'cutout' bits in them - I've
got a velo made WTB speed V and a velo labelled as an 'ontrack' like that,
and they're both way too bendy (feel good for 5 mins and suck after
the first 15mins).

The general rule seems to be if the saddle feels too hard
and unbendable it'll be good - anything soft and cushy just sucks on long
rides.

other saddle me and my wife have been thru

Selle Italia XO gel - surprisingly good for a cheap saddle, good profile and nice narrow shape and a decent solid shell, my wife still has one on her mtb, I donated mine to a friend after he trashed the rails on his landing a jump badly.

Selle Italia LDY / LDY gel - my wifes most hated saddle, way too wide, both
in the nose and in the back - for a 'serious' saddle you have to wonder
what size women rider they had in mind!!

Terry Damselfly - the narrowest, hardest saddle I've ever seen (it's about 130mm across at the widest), yet Suse loved it - she just wished the
cutout was a bit more generous and the nose slightly more padded (murder
down in the drops).

Selle Italia Octavia - just too wide and flat for me, yet a friend loves
his (he's 6'4" and about 25kg heavier than me though - he tried
my Flite and described it as 'butt floss').

tonykara said:
Dutch.....did you say that you were looking at Geoff's saddle? thats sick. kids look away...wierdo online :eek:

was that 'Sunday-piker' tony?
youre the founder of the 'Leyland Bros ride'. there are 'responsibilities' you know... :D

Peter S said:
"Richard Sherratt" wrote

> >I'm looking to replace my road bike seat and am wondering what will be
> >more comfortable that my current brick.
> >I'd love to know what seats are popular with the road riders.

> Selle Italia Trans Am Max. A bit wider than the Flight. Just right for
> those of us who are not built like Lance :)
>
> Stay away from gel anything. The gel transfers the pressure from where
> it should be to the squishy bits. Not good for your sex life.

I spent ages deciding on a new saddle, finally decided to try the much
lauded Fizik Arione. Almost bought a Turbomatic 4, which I'd still like to
try to see if my 'other' choice would have suited me too. After the first
couple of rides I thought I'd blown my cash. Now after finally finding just
the right adjustment I love it. Initially I had it too far back, then the
front tilted a smidge too low. Mind you the other saddle was an entry level
Selle Italia Xo which i didn't like at all.

After reading Richards reply I'd like to try the Trans Am Max too - it
sounds nice!

I recently posted a question to this group about hill climbing technique and
got some great feedback. This has led me to train on more slopes and
gradients than previously. I conciously spend some time off the saddle
during a lot of rides now and this is probably all part of being able to do
a long ride without too much saddle soreness.

Good luck with your choice. It's still a matter of buying and trying unless
you've got a friend or belong to a group with bikes and saddles you can try.

Peter S
skypete(remove_this_bit)@iinet.net.au
http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category32_1.htm

Sans Marco Rolls $69. Bargain!!!