What shifters should I buy?

Lefty

Guest
Hi, can anyone give some input on which shifters will work best for my setup?

1) Campy Nuovo Record derailleur
2) Suntour New Winner 13-23 freewheel (7spd)
3) Sram pc-58 chain

I would like to go to 7spd downtube index shifting. Should I buy:
4) Campy Syncro II shifters
5) Suntour Accushift shifters
6) Shimano index shifters

I would like to keep the derailleur and freewheel, chain can be replaced, if required. Does anyone
have some experience with different shifters and how they will work with this setup?

Thanks, Dennis

fong-<< 1) Campy Nuovo Record derailleur
2) Suntour New Winner 13-23 freewheel (7spd)
3) Sram pc-58 chain

<< I would like to go to 7spd downtube index shifting. Should I buy:
4) Campy Syncro II shifters
5) Suntour Accushift shifters
6) Shimano index shifters

No index shifter will work with that rear der-friction only, any friction shift lever-

To index you need an indexing rear der, compatible shift levers and a freewheel that has some sort
of tooth design to allow index shifting...

(7)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

"lefty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, can anyone give some input on which shifters will work best for my setup?
>
> 1) Campy Nuovo Record derailleur
> 2) Suntour New Winner 13-23 freewheel (7spd)
> 3) Sram pc-58 chain
>
> I would like to go to 7spd downtube index shifting. Should I buy:
> 1) Campy Syncro II shifters
> 2) Suntour Accushift shifters
> 3) Shimano index shifters
>
> I would like to keep the derailleur and freewheel, chain can be replaced, if required. Does anyone
> have some experience with different shifters and how they will work with this setup?

One of my ex-employees runs a Super Record with a Control floating upper pulley and DuraAce six
index levers. I can't remember the freewheel. It clicks but is not exceptional.

That changer simply does not lend itself to index. Suntour bits are particularly ill-suited as the
Accushift system is spaced wider on the high gears than the low gears, so travel is more critical
than in other systems.

If you just like to be "different" it can be done.

If you just want it to work, get more modern stuff which even at the cheap end ( Mirage/Veloce) is
superior to the 1020/a by a large margin.