What should I carry with me in my saddle bag

Baulplair said:
Speaking of recycling, check this out.
======================================================
Good point. So much that is supposedly in the gutter, gets washed to the storm water, drains and then out to sea or into rivers/lakes with nasty consequences:rolleyes:

lks said:
Lets really cut waste and pollution and become Mennonites. Got any excuses not to? What would you be giving up, that you can't live without?
Oil?
:D :D :D :D

lks said:
Try using a pump when it's 120+ degrees, three feet off the asphalt in Palm Springs.
More or less effort than riding a bike?
:confused:
You can ride a bike for say,an hour in those temperatures...but a couple of minutes to pump a tyre is too much?

lks said:
Lets really cut waste and pollution and become Mennonites. Got any excuses not to? What would you be giving up, that you can't live without?
Are you making a feeble attempt at cynism or....being constructive - hopefully the later.
How about my lifestyle - for an example;
I travel by bike when I can(I race most weekends so do a lot of that and of course training),
I make everything on my bought secondhand(most of my cycling clothing etc is secondhand too) bike - so chains get changed around 5000 kilometres, my tyres at a similar mileage(usually Michelin Carbons).
I import/sell used cycling gear - therefore helping to recycle there.
Our cars are '95 1500 and '90 1600. I live near work - my work car(and I use a car because I'm basically at a different place each day and have to carry heavy stuff) does about 150 - 250 kilometres a week. Even our tyres are retreads or used Japanese imports(I've never had a problem with either)
My wife uses our family car sparingly.
I take the train if going in to town. Most stuff other than food, clothing is bought used.
I'm a teacher - in a range of schools and I sometimes talk to kids about care for the environment.
My wife and I(and so our boys too) don't eat meat - partly for environmental reasons; cruelty to animals, land use, fertiliser use etc.
We're limiting our family size(we have 2 boys - 8 months & 2 1/2 years) because more people = bigger footprint on the world + people in the Western world use some many more resources than those in developing countries.
We only use non disposable, cloth nappies.
We hardly use the drier - washing goes on the outside washing line.
I don't have a cellphone(the only times I have used my wife's one was when our boys were due to be born and I still wanted my training rides)
We don't have a TV/Video.
Our house is reasonably sun/heat resourceful(with more $ we could make it more so...).
One cat.
I've participated in tree planting days
We don't smoke = waste, airpollution etc
We buy Fair Trade products where we can.
Neither of us drink alcohol. I have not had an alcoholic drink since I was 21
We recycle.
Our one rubbish bag goes out about every 3 months
We take our own boxes/bags to the supermarket
We ask for no bag etc when we buy stuff.
Neither of us drink coffee
I don't drink tea(for both - start reading about the conditions the workers a base level have...)

We're both Christians. Here in New Zealand very few people are - may be 2% of the population. During the 2 degrees I have done and over the years I have done a lot of thinking/reading/discussing what it means to be both Christian and also to have a planet friendly lifestyle. Unlike so many Christians(like a friend in the US) who have such a simplistic and unbiblical view "Jesus is coming to take us away, so why give a stuff about the planet" - and by extension other people, rubbish.:(

Thankfully we go to a church in which many people are smart enough and critical thinking enough to think and act on such issues in positive ways.

It certainly beats the **** that is pumped out by the media(and often the folk we know personally) that new/bigger/smaller/faster etc is good.:confused:

I do appreciate much that I hear/read of the Mennonite lifestyle. Especially their pasifist beliefs/actions.:)

stevebaby said:
More or less effort than riding a bike?
:confused:
You can ride a bike for say,an hour in those temperatures...but a couple of minutes to pump a tyre is too much?
The club I am with doesn't ride, they hammer for 50 miles and there is no shade in the desert countryside. When you flat you come to a stop and, with no breeze, it feels like you stepped into a furnace. By the time you have repaired your flat, hopefully, you wonder if you can even get back on your bike, let alone trying to pump 80+psi when you can get to 90psi with a flick of your finger, with a Co2. We don't leave anything on the roadside, unless it will evaporate in 60 seconds.

Bigbananabike said:
Are you making a feeble attempt at cynism or....being constructive - hopefully the later.
How about my lifestyle - for an example;
I travel by bike when I can(I race most weekends so do a lot of that and of course training),
I make everything on my bought secondhand(most of my cycling clothing etc is secondhand too) bike - so chains get changed around 5000 kilometres, my tyres at a similar mileage(usually Michelin Carbons).
I import/sell used cycling gear - therefore helping to recycle there.
Our cars are '95 1500 and '90 1600. I live near work - my work car(and I use a car because I'm basically at a different place each day and have to carry heavy stuff) does about 150 - 250 kilometres a week. Even our tyres are retreads or used Japanese imports(I've never had a problem with either)
My wife uses our family car sparingly.
I take the train if going in to town. Most stuff other than food, clothing is bought used.
I'm a teacher - in a range of schools and I sometimes talk to kids about care for the environment.
My wife and I(and so our boys too) don't eat meat - partly for environmental reasons; cruelty to animals, land use, fertiliser use etc.
We're limiting our family size(we have 2 boys - 8 months & 2 1/2 years) because more people = bigger footprint on the world + people in the Western world use some many more resources than those in developing countries.
We only use non disposable, cloth nappies.
We hardly use the drier - washing goes on the outside washing line.
I don't have a cellphone(the only times I have used my wife's one was when our boys were due to be born and I still wanted my training rides)
We don't have a TV/Video.
Our house is reasonably sun/heat resourceful(with more $ we could make it more so...).
One cat.
I've participated in tree planting days
We don't smoke = waste, airpollution etc
We buy Fair Trade products where we can.
Neither of us drink alcohol. I have not had an alcoholic drink since I was 21
We recycle.
Our one rubbish bag goes out about every 3 months
We take our own boxes/bags to the supermarket
We ask for no bag etc when we buy stuff.
Neither of us drink coffee
I don't drink tea(for both - start reading about the conditions the workers a base level have...)

We're both Christians. Here in New Zealand very few people are - may be 2% of the population. During the 2 degrees I have done and over the years I have done a lot of thinking/reading/discussing what it means to be both Christian and also to have a planet friendly lifestyle. Unlike so many Christians(like a friend in the US) who have such a simplistic and unbiblical view "Jesus is coming to take us away, so why give a stuff about the planet" - and by extension other people, rubbish.:(

Thankfully we go to a church in which many people are smart enough and critical thinking enough to think and act on such issues in positive ways.

It certainly beats the **** that is pumped out by the media(and often the folk we know personally) that new/bigger/smaller/faster etc is good.:confused:

I do appreciate much that I hear/read of the Mennonite lifestyle. Especially their pasifist beliefs/actions.:)
Too bad there are not more people like you. But that would take a change in the human species, I just can't envision. From the beginning of time, extinction has been the norm. Only time will tell.

Bigbananabike said:
=========================================================
DON'T take CO2 containers!:( Take a pump, fitted to the bike instead. CO2 containers are next to useless. If you're training and get a flat use the pump to pump the tyre - it won't take long and by squeezing the tyre you'll get a good idea how hard it is(have a track pump at home with a guage to get it right again).
What really bugs me about CO2 containers is it's yet another wasteful, disposable piece of rubbish that gets thrown away. I see them on the sides of the road left by environmentally braindead cyclists who'd rather badly inflate their tyres than spend a couple of minutes getting some good arm exercise pumping the pump. Do any of them take them home for the recycle bin? They should - well they shouldn't buy them actually:(
So - take a pump:)

You have got to be kidding. :( I have yet to see a pump that can get a race tire back up to 120 psi in less then 1/2 hr unless its one of those giant frame pumps, even at best it was only around 100-110 psi. Which means you are riding around on a semi inflated tire which reduces speed and handling. I use a CO2 a my primary on road pump, their small and lightweight and the used cartridge goes in the recycling at the end of the ride. :)

I keep a compact first aid kit on my bikes at all times. I like this waterproof kit from Lifeline because it is only a half inch thick and fits flatly away. I got mine here http://www.safetykitsplus.com .

1152818848607-2016235134.jpg

In my jersey I carry one spare tube and a Park allen tool (the tri-spoke one)

In one tiny saddle pouch I carry tire irons, co2 cartridge, ID and cash.

I don't even try to patch a $5.00 tube...its not worth the hassle, I just throw a new tube on. If I flat more than once on a ride I catch a cab...ride over. Hasn't happened to me in at least the last ten years. The only time I caught the taxi was when my sew-up rolled off the rim and I crashed. Ride was over anyway...nothing I could have done to continue.

For the infrequency it happens, I don't want to bother carrying all kinds of junk. Likewise, if you maintain your tires, rims and rim strips properly a flat should be a rarity.

Banana, what's the big deal about CO2 cartridges...? They're small, convenient and quick, and some of us don't like frame pumps.

1. mini pump (sks wesemann)
2. patch kit
3. topeak multi-tool (x-tool)
4. 2 tire levers (generic)

All in underseat bag, except for the pump, clipped on its special clippy thingies on the water bottles cage mount.

I do just fine without CO2 cartridges... ;)

riley1dog said:
I am new to road biking, what all should I carry with me?

1. Tube
2. Patch Kit
3. Tire tools
4. inflators (i dont know much about these extra cyl)
5. damn cell phone
6. insurance card.

Thanks for your help.
A Big Mac...

A couple paper towels (doubles as emergency toilet paper whereas an old sock won't).

Waterless hand cleaner repackaged into a small pill bottle (sold in heavy containers at auto supply stores), will powerfully remove chain grease, also good for pine tree sap when backpacking high Sierras.

Sunscreen :cool:. In some locations mosquito dope. Bass fishing outfitters have brands which do both jobs with one solution.

riley1dog said:
I am new to road biking, what all should I carry with me?

1. Tube
2. Patch Kit
3. Tire tools
4. inflators (i dont know much about these extra cyl)
5. damn cell phone
6. insurance card.

Thanks for your help.
For daily training rides I carry 1 tube, two tire levers, a few bucks, and a co2 pump. For longer rides, I'll add an extra tube and co2 cartidge, I'll pull out the levers and replace with a multi-tool (that has levers that pop out of the sides), a gu or two and a cell phone. I also bring along the cleat covers for my speedplay's in case I have to walk over any sand or gravel for a nature brake. Everything fit's in a ziplock sandwich back that I stuff in my jersey pocket.

PeterF said:
For daily training rides I carry 1 tube, two tire levers, a few bucks, and a co2 pump. For longer rides, I'll add an extra tube and co2 cartidge, I'll pull out the levers and replace with a multi-tool (that has levers that pop out of the sides), a gu or two and a cell phone. I also bring along the cleat covers for my speedplay's in case I have to walk over any sand or gravel for a nature brake. Everything fit's in a ziplock sandwich back that I stuff in my jersey pocket.
Pretty much the same for me, including the Speedplay cleat covers...but I don't double up on the tubes and co2...and I usually leave the cell phone behind unless I'm somewhere remote...

I spread some of this stuff in my jersey pockets and some in the tiny saddle bag under the seat...

in my bag... mini first aid kit (pain relievers, wipes, bandaids and such), 1 tube, patch kit (w/ glue), 2 tire levers, valve adapter, $5 in ones (bus fare!), extra CO2 canister

in my pockets... cell phone, snack, CO2 pump, arm warmers, long rides i take my id and bank card and some cash.

have a frame pump for backup on my bike.

my ID is my Road ID from roadid.com... it's a velcro bracelet that looks like a dog tag w/ phone numbers and my name.

lks said:
Try using a pump when it's 120+ degrees, three feet off the asphalt in Palm Springs.
Softy.

lks said:
so much **** on the shoulder that they don't think one more piece matters.
Now, I wonder how that pile built up?

lks said:
I don't see ugly frame pumps on almost any high end bikes.
Ugly frame pumps, or ugly piles of litter?

russmack said:
Ugly frame pumps, or ugly piles of litter?

Of course, only an idiot thinks that using a CO2 can means that the can will end up on the ground. They can be recycled.

lks said:
Two 50 gram tubes, two 12g Co2s, a mini combo Co2 dispenser/hand pump, one boot and 12 Park Tool dry patches. One 9 gram pair of cuticle nippers to pull tiny objects out of the tire when your fingernails can't. One plastic tire lever, cut in half since I don't really need it. A master link I have never used. One Presta/Schrader valve adapter I have never used. Drivers licence, credit cards, insurance cards, $100, mini cellphone and a car key, cut in half. All fits in my jersey, with room to spare, and I havn't needed help in the last 50,000 miles.
why a car key, cut in half???