What should I carry with me in my saddle bag

riley1dog

Jul 30, 2006
I am new to road biking, what all should I carry with me?

1. Tube
2. Patch Kit
3. Tire tools
4. inflators (i dont know much about these extra cyl)
5. damn cell phone
6. insurance card.

Thanks for your help.

riley1dog said:

1. Tube
2. Patch Kit
3. Tire tools
5. damn cell phone
6. insurance card.

Thanks for your help.

- glueless patch kits are nice (I've ridden over 2,500 km's on one of these)
- tire levers
- Co2 and one extra cyl if you have room
- bandaids
- money
- multi tool or hex wrenches
- you'll also have your shirt pockets from some of this (that's where I put my tube, rag and extra cyl, rest is in wedgie).

noonievut said:
- tire levers
- Co2 and one extra cyl if you have room
- bandaids
- money
- multi tool or hex wrenches
- you'll also have your shirt pockets from some of this (that's where I put my tube, rag and extra cyl, rest is in wedgie).
extra chain links.

You might want a tire pressure gauge. they are pretty light. And probably most important. A card that has you name & address with contacts in case of emergency on one side and a list of medications / medical conditions on the other. If you are not on any medications, say so on the card. Just print it out on your computer and use those little laminating sheets to keep it dry and readable.

2 x tubes
Glueless patches (Specilized flat boy)
Tire boot (just in case of the huge tire cut, prevent tube from bulging out)
2 x C02 cannisters 16gm
CO2 regulator (adjustable flow)
Presta to Schrader valve converter (when you need extra air at the gas station)
2 x tire levers
Spare snap-on chain link
Chain breaker / Multi-tool
Address and Next of kin contact details

All fits in the jersey pockets, hate the underseat bags.

IMG_3620.jpg

riley1dog said:

1. Tube
2. Patch Kit
3. Tire tools
5. damn cell phone
6. insurance card.

Thanks for your help.
Two 50 gram tubes, two 12g Co2s, a mini combo Co2 dispenser/hand pump, one boot and 12 Park Tool dry patches. One 9 gram pair of cuticle nippers to pull tiny objects out of the tire when your fingernails can't. One plastic tire lever, cut in half since I don't really need it. A master link I have never used. One Presta/Schrader valve adapter I have never used. Drivers licence, credit cards, insurance cards, $100, mini cellphone and a car key, cut in half. All fits in my jersey, with room to spare, and I havn't needed help in the last 50,000 miles.

I beg to differ glue is better get the "Rema tip top" kit.

noonievut said:

All I put in my bag is a 4 and 5mm hex wrench, and tiny flathead screwdriver, chain breaker, tire lever(s) and patch kit. I throw it all in an old sock for the purpose of A) keeping everything in one spot and keeping the clattering of misc. stuff in a seat wedge to a minimum, and B) it gives me something to wipe my hands on if I have to perform any road-side repairs.

The tools above give me just about everything I need to disassemble the entire bike, but for the cranks and bottom bracket.

riley1dog said:

1. Tube
2. Patch Kit
3. Tire tools
5. damn cell phone
6. insurance card.

Thanks for your help.
=========================================================
DON'T take CO2 containers!:( Take a pump, fitted to the bike instead. CO2 containers are next to useless. If you're training and get a flat use the pump to pump the tyre - it won't take long and by squeezing the tyre you'll get a good idea how hard it is(have a track pump at home with a guage to get it right again).
What really bugs me about CO2 containers is it's yet another wasteful, disposable piece of rubbish that gets thrown away. I see them on the sides of the road left by environmentally braindead cyclists who'd rather badly inflate their tyres than spend a couple of minutes getting some good arm exercise pumping the pump. Do any of them take them home for the recycle bin? They should - well they shouldn't buy them actually:(
So - take a pump:)

i don't use a saddle bag but this is what i take with me.

1 innertube
1 park glueless patch kit
topeak micro rocket micro pump
topeak hummer multi tool (includes tyre levers, chain tool, spoke tool, and allenkeys)
1 kmc 10sp spare link.

c'est tout!

longer rides - money and mobile phone.

and food of course! dried apricots, mmmmm.:)

Bigbananabike said:
=========================================================
DON'T take CO2 containers!:( Take a pump, fitted to the bike instead. CO2 containers are next to useless. If you're training and get a flat use the pump to pump the tyre - it won't take long and by squeezing the tyre you'll get a good idea how hard it is(have a track pump at home with a guage to get it right again).
What really bugs me about CO2 containers is it's yet another wasteful, disposable piece of rubbish that gets thrown away. I see them on the sides of the road left by environmentally braindead cyclists who'd rather badly inflate their tyres than spend a couple of minutes getting some good arm exercise pumping the pump. Do any of them take them home for the recycle bin? They should - well they shouldn't buy them actually:(
So - take a pump:)
Try using a pump when it's 120+ degrees, three feet off the asphalt in Palm Springs. The person that throws their used Co2 in the gutter, is the person that threw out the beer bottle you just ran over or sees so much **** on the shoulder that they don't think one more piece matters. Anyway, you are just blowing smoke if you think you are going to change their ways and get them to give up any BOTTLE. While beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, I don't see ugly frame pumps on almost any high end bikes. The best advice, is what has at least a half a chance of being followed.

lks said:
Try using a pump when it's 120+ degrees, three feet off the asphalt in Palm Springs. The person that throws their used Co2 in the gutter, is the person that threw out the beer bottle you just ran over or sees so much **** on the shoulder that they don't think one more piece matters. Anyway, you are just blowing smoke if you think you are going to change their ways and get them to give up any BOTTLE. While beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, I don't see ugly frame pumps on almost any high end bikes. The best advice, is what has at least a half a chance of being followed.

Exactly. Even the ground, here in Tucson, the ground that isn't paved, can get to 150+. And if I recycle the CO2 cannisters, the problem is what?

lks said:
Have you tried moving into the shade - or here as I do my training in the countryside I will go on to the gravel or grass. It doesn't take that long to pump a tyre!!

How did folk cope before CO2 containers = they did just fine:)

I agree - the loosers(whether cyclists or SUV drivers) are the ones who'll throw rather than recycle. My thought is - why create the stupid things and why buy them?:mad:

You don't see ugly(I don't think they look ugly) frame pumps on high end bikes - you and I both will see pumps that are mounted to brackets on bottle cages(that's where the one on my high end bike is mounted).

My advice is the best advice and needs to be followed:)

alienator said:
Exactly. Even the ground, here in Tucson, the ground that isn't paved, can get to 150+. And if I recycle the CO2 cannisters, the problem is what?
See my reply above this. They weren't used a few years ago and they're not needed now. Why create a market/maintain a market of waste?:(

Bigbananabike said:
Have you tried moving into the shade - or here as I do my training in the countryside I will go on to the gravel or grass. It doesn't take that long to pump a tyre!!

How did folk cope before CO2 containers = they did just fine:)

I agree - the loosers(whether cyclists or SUV drivers) are the ones who'll throw rather than recycle. My thought is - why create the stupid things and why buy them?:mad:

You don't see ugly(I don't think they look ugly) frame pumps on high end bikes - you and I both will see pumps that are mounted to brackets on bottle cages(that's where the one on my high end bike is mounted).

My advice is the best advice and needs to be followed:)
Lets really cut waste and pollution and become Mennonites. Got any excuses not to? What would you be giving up, that you can't live without?