What should I do next to my bike?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by redandblack, Apr 22, 2003.

1. redandblack

redandblack New Member

I was wondering what i should get for my bike next, for example which modification/add-on would be best for it.

choice 1 (expensive): a new saddle, (it would have to come in red and black color (the color of my bike))

choice 2 (medium): a camelbac(k?). or something similar to that

choice 3 (cheap): a frame mountable tire pump (a small one).

Tags:

2. MtnBikerChk

MtnBikerChk New Member

well, you named three things that are essential -

1. a saddle that fits your butt - is your current one uncomfortable? if not, don't change it

2. water - DUH!

3. pump - make sure you have some kind of pump with you.

3. redandblack

redandblack New Member

Well, when I first bought the bike 2 years ago, I weasled out a free water bottle holder on my word that I would use their water bottle when I rode. then a few months later I bought the second water bottle holder, so I think I'm all set with water. Untill I go anywhere longer than 5 miles at a time.

I think I might go for the tire pump, but I cannot find any around that mount on the frame. could you or anyone suggest one?

4. MtnBikerChk

MtnBikerChk New Member

5. rek

rek New Member

If you know the area you're riding in, I've found you can go for pretty much as long as you want with two normal water bottles -- just make sure you know where you can fill them up during your ride!

I bought a cheap frame-mounted mini pump for my mountain bike for AU$15, it's no Zefal HPX but when it's purely for wide offroad tyres you don't need crazy high pressures anyway. I am unco and don't trust myself with CO2 cartridges :p Most mini-pumps have an clip-attachment that fits in between the frame screws for the water bottle holder, so you can hold the pump and still use the spot for holding a water bottle. The CO2 cartridge systems I've seen come with a mount on the seat post, under the saddle.

Also note that the best saddle isn't necessarily the most expensive, it's the one that you're most comfortable with..

If your current saddle is causing you pain, and it's not being caused by something else (like incorrect seatpost height, etc.) then that would be my number 1 avenue for spending money. That being said, I never ride without at least some sort of pump and patch kit and/or spare tube.

6. Allo

Allo New Member

2 bottles = 1.5 L of water in 5 miles approx. 30mins ?!?!?!?!?! You're either doing some serious sweating, or drinking way too much water. You should only need a camelback in addition to two large bottles if you're doing some major long distance riding where there is no other access to fresh water.

What you want to achieve will determine what you ought to buy.

Pump should be considered essential. CO2 is environmentally unfriendly and just downright lazy for everyday use, it should be used for racing only.

Only get a new pump if your current one is uncomfortable.

If you want to go faster get lighter wheels, working from the outside in.

If you're just starting out (sounds like you are) tools and a good book to learn how use them are always a good idea.

Sam

7. redandblack

redandblack New Member

yeah. it takes me 25-30 minutes (on the computer) to ride the 5 miles. I kinda need the water right now. I am still a little out of shape (fact being that before april, I hadn't ridden since 1.5 years). I've been drinking less and less water on my rides more recently though.

8. dannii

dannii New Member

I ride 5miles in approx 25-30mins also......I generally don't even go through one bottle......unless it is a swealtering day out..... I had read once that the body only has the ability to absorb 690ml of water per hour......the consumption of anymore is just a waste.....and you will probably spend half your ride looking for a service station to stop at......whether this is 100% true or not, I don't know, however I personally don't tend to drink anymore than this and try not to drink any less either......and so far by using it as a rule of thumb, I have had no hydration problems.....so in short one drinking bottle (approx 750ml) per hour is a good rule of thumb.

9. frey

frey New Member

Firstly I'd agree with the point about saddles, if it's causing you bother then change it, otherwise leave it until it wears out.
    As for camelbaks, one really good point that hasn't been made is that apart from it's volume, it takes weight off the bike and onto you. Now it's easy to say that you're moving that weight regardless of whether it's on you or the bike, but it's not the same. The having an extra kilo or two on you will not necessarily be a noticable difference, but having a kilo or two on the bike makes a huge difference, like trying to jump it, or it's stability through corners. Water weighs an awful lot, so it's well worth moving it off the bike....

10. redandblack

redandblack New Member

Well, I think I might be moving on up to a Gyro Helmet. My current one is loosing all its padding, and the local bike shop has a red and black Gyro for $45 american, which I think I might as well get it.