What Should I Do?

RookieRoadie

Feb 4, 2006
So, I took along time off the bike. I have basically been maintaining since July and since mid-December I have been off the bike completely. I basically started training again last Sunday and I raced today. The race didnt go as I would have hoped but I was expecting too much considering my fitness level. Basically in the race I was with the group until I started getting light cramps. I rode until the cramps were so too bad and I pulled myself.

Well, the reason I started this thread was because I need some training advice. I need to build and get up to some type of racing form by April. I can ride 2 1/2 hours Monday through Friday and I have all day Saturday and Sunday. What should I be doing.

RookieRoadie said:
I rode until the cramps were so too bad and I pulled myself.
whoa, man, don't go doing this in a race, I mean riding one handed and all and does this really help with cramps? - oh, hang on, I get it, you pulled _out_ of the race.

Look, I don't know the first thing about racing but from what you wrote it seems your expectations were a bit high given your preparation. Have more realsitic goals and wait for the experts to give you plenty of advice. I know a lot of people recommend The Cyclist's Training Bible by Joe Friel (http://tinyurl.com/brgqn) so maybe that would be a good start.

//k