What should I eat?

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by Renae, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Renae

Renae New Member

I just got back from an easy 20-mile ride on a trail that was pretty flat. I was over half-way through, and became pretty hungry, so I ate half a granola bar that I had with me. For breakfast right before I rode I had a granola bar and a glass of juice (I know...not a good breakfast before riding).
    What would be a good meal prior to riding and what's a good snack if needed while riding?
    Thanks!

Tags:

2. justcook

justcook New Member

I guess everybody is different, because if I ate a granola bar before a ride, my stomach would be in knots. I go with the old standards, either a banana or maybe some fig newtons, either before or after. But for a 20-mile ride, I'd skip snacks in fear of cramping up. Sometimes I'll eat an energy bar about half an hour before a long ride. Or I just fill one of my bottles with Gatorade for some extra energy along the way. Like I said, everyone is different, but I'd say to avoid anything as hearty as a granola bar mid-ride because your stomach has to work way too hard to digest whole grains like that, and that's what causes cramping. Nothing ruins a ride like a stomach cramp. Juices and energy bars are absorbed more quickly into your bloodstream, providing that immediate energy your body needs.