What Should I Eat?

HansThompsonCycling

Aug 23, 2015
What should I eat not only on days I am going riding, but regular work days? I know what t eat pre-ride, during ride, and post-ride. But what about those days when I don't ride?

Thanks!

I would say that you should eat a fair amount of protein. Keep it healthy, though, or else you will definitely suffer on those long bike rides haha.

Why not eat your regular meals during regular days? Unless you are serious with your training then continue eating the pre-training food even when you don't ride. But for hobbyists like me, I only eat special foods when I would ride a long trip like more than 5 kilometers. For trips shorter than that, I just treat it as ordinary riding so nothing special. Your body would always adjust like the volume of food will be greater when you had expended more energy.

I try to stick to a lot of protein and veggies and not a lot of carbs.
Natural peanut butter on apple slices or puffed spelt cakes is one of my go-to snacks, as well as hard boiled eggs.
I cook a lot of vegetarian food and rely on things like lentils, beans, chickpeas, and tofu for protein.
When I'm cycling a lot I find I don't want too much heavy food, but otherwise I don't eat a particular diet on days that I'm going to be biking.

Are you on a weight loss program, OP? If not, I don't see any reason why you can't just eat normal food on your regular days. I typically only eat "special meals" when I'm about to go for very long rides. I'm already relatively fit, though, so I don't really have any need for a special diet.

If you want to stay healthy, then just stick to lot of proteins, raw veggies and a lot of water. Try to stay away from fructose, which is basically all soft drinks and sugar products. Moderation is key if you do slip in unhealthy foods. Just don't over do it. We might not be professional athletes, but we can at least make a healthy diet a life long conscious decision.

Just try and stick to good meals and healthy snacks. Plenty of carbs and protein, vegetable proteins mainly and good wholesome carbs from vegetables and whole grains. And as for snacks, things like salads, fruit and even dark chocolate for energy. Plenty of water and even homemade fruit/vegetable smoothies if you get chance, recipes for these can be find online. If you do have bad days, just be good and detox the next few days to make up for it! :D

elvisish said:
Just try and stick to good meals and healthy snacks. Plenty of carbs and protein, vegetable proteins mainly and good wholesome carbs from vegetables and whole grains. And as for snacks, things like salads, fruit and even dark chocolate for energy. Plenty of water and even homemade fruit/vegetable smoothies if you get chance, recipes for these can be find online. If you do have bad days, just be good and detox the next few days to make up for it! :D
Completely agree. If you have some bad cheat days, detox.

I get lots of energy from eating whole raw foods, such as bananas, watermelon, dates, sunflower seeds and the likes. I'm on a vegan diet, so I would recommend a plant base diet overall, it has changed my life for the better! It's been almost 4 years and I'm at the best shape in my life!

It would not hurt if you cut on the calories you take during those rest days. You do not need extra calories especially if it is not your training day. If you can not change your eating habit try to stay active during the day say take a walk or jog.

In my opinion, the best way to go is to eat 60 to 70 percent fat, ( only the good fats please :)) 20 to 30 percent protein and 10 percent carbs if your goal is enhancing performance for endurance sports and health in the long term... however it will take awhile before you get the hang of it and fully adapt to a fat based diet.

The question of what you should eat, has to put into the context of the person you are. What are your goals, do you wish to lose weight, to just stay healthy, or to become a better cyclist? I would just eat healthy food and emphasize getting a good ratio of proteins, enough carbs so that you can recover all your energy, and, additionally, just a good nights rest whilst remaining on the good side, rather than the bad side of fats.

Reactions: Corzhens
DarkStarling said:
The question of what you should eat, has to put into the context of the person you are. What are your goals, do you wish to lose weight, to just stay healthy, or to become a better cyclist? I would just eat healthy food and emphasize getting a good ratio of proteins, enough carbs so that you can recover all your energy, and, additionally, just a good nights rest whilst remaining on the good side, rather than the bad side of fats.
I fully agree - depending on what you are. But what you are, really? I don't think that's easy to answer. And as I said in my previous post, you eat your regular meals when you are not on training although it's not wrong to add some more nutrients if you wish to. When I am riding, I would always drink milk as a mental food (my psychology says milk gives me strength). And yes, the rest is very important and if you care to be whimsical, get a good massage too.

Just eat a regular diet that consists of carbohydrates, proteins and fats which are the macro nutrients essential for the body. Sources for carbohydrates are bread, rice, oats, corn and other grain foods. Best get your proteins from meats, eggs, dairy or beans if you want other alternatives for animal products. Fats are obtained from oil, butter, and other food items. Do not also forget vitamins and minerals we get from eating nutritious fruits and vegetables. Also keep in mind that a key to a good diet is moderation, variety and balance. Take in moderation foods high in sugar and fat, eat with balance, keeping the food pyramid in mind by eating more of the ones at the bottom and less foods at the top of the pyramid. Lastly, eat a variety of foods because there is no single food product that will give us all the nutrients we need for our body, but a combination of different food products.

It's somewhat hard to advice what to eat when I don't know what you like, but in general terms a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables is the best we can have.