Triathlon · Public discussion

What should I pack for a bike trip

Started by Michael Emerald · · Last activity · 5 posts · 952 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Triathlon
Published
28 April 2004
Last activity
30 April 2004
Original author
Michael Emerald
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
952
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi folks.

    I. If I'm doing a 40 mile non-competitive, relaxed bike
    ride and want to stop en route for a swim, what should I
    best pack for clothing, etc. I usually carry a mesh
    lightweight backpack to throw an extra jacket in, etc.
    Weighs very little. But I don't know what the best
    attire is. I use ordinary shorts to ride, with padded
    skins underneath, so if I should be wearing swim trunks,
    that might work. What would you suggest?

    II. For a novice swimmer, me, good for 1/2 mile, if I go
    swimming across lakes, what should I carry as a
    flotation device, if any, in case I get into a bind and
    possibly drown? Likely as not I'd want to carry it on
    the bike as well, per (I) above.

    Thanks, Justin Seven

  2. [email hidden] (Michael Emerald) wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi folks.

    I. If I'm doing a 40 mile non-competitive, relaxed bike
    ride and want to stop en route for a swim, what should
    I best pack for clothing, etc. I usually carry a mesh
    lightweight backpack to throw an extra jacket in, etc.
    Weighs very little. But I don't know what the best
    attire is. I use ordinary shorts to ride, with padded
    skins underneath, so if I should be wearing swim
    trunks, that might work. What would you suggest?

    Any of the tri shorts available from Desoto, Speedo, TYR,
    and dozens of others would be great. There's still a pad,
    but it's made of thinner and different materials that dry
    out more quickly.

    Quoted message said:


    II. For a novice swimmer, me, good for 1/2 mile, if I go
    swimming across lakes, what should I carry as a
    flotation device, if any, in case I get into a bind
    and possibly drown?

    If you drown, you won't need a flotation device. You'll be
    dead. The real answer is, don't swim alone unsupervised. At
    IM Utah a fit swimmer died WHILE WEARING A WETSUIT. There
    isn't much better flotation than that. Swim where lifeguards
    can see you, and tell them what you'll be doing before you
    get in the water.

    Quoted message said:

    Likely as not I'd want to carry it on the bike as well,
    per (I) above.

    Thanks, Justin Seven

  3. From your description, it would be overkill to invest in a
    pair of triathlon shorts for the odd leisurely swim. Throw
    a swimsuit in the backpack and change when you get to the
    lake. Alternatively, if you're not aversed to racing
    suits, wear a Speedo (or similar) under your properly
    padded bike shorts.

    Regarding question #2, if you're so uncomfortable about your
    swimming skills that you'd want a flotation device, I'd
    encourage you to avoid 1/2 mile swims alone. I suppose a
    kickboard or pullbuoy conceivably could be used without any
    terrific sacrifice in terms of drag. Furthermore, they could
    help you improve your swimming ability so you will become a
    non-novice. "Michael Emerald"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi folks.

    I. If I'm doing a 40 mile non-competitive, relaxed bike
    ride and want to stop en route for a swim, what should
    I best pack for clothing, etc. I usually carry a mesh
    lightweight backpack to throw an extra jacket in, etc.
    Weighs very little. But I don't know what the best
    attire is. I use ordinary shorts to ride, with padded
    skins underneath, so if I should be wearing swim
    trunks, that might work. What would you suggest?

    II. For a novice swimmer, me, good for 1/2 mile, if I go
    swimming across lakes, what should I carry as a
    flotation device, if any, in case I get into a bind
    and possibly drown? Likely as not I'd want to carry it
    on the bike as well, per (I) above.

    Thanks, Justin Seven

  4. Tom Henderson <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (Michael Emerald) wrote
    in :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi folks.

    I. If I'm doing a 40 mile non-competitive, relaxed bike
    ride and want to stop en route for a swim, what
    should I best pack for clothing,


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:


    Tom Henderson <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    Any of the tri shorts available from Desoto, Speedo, TYR,
    and dozens of others would be great. There's still a pad,
    but it's made of thinner and different materials that dry
    out more quickly.

    [email hidden] (Michael Emerald) wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    II. For a novice swimmer, me, good for 1/2 mile, if I go
    swimming across lakes, what should I carry as a
    flotation device, if any, in case I get into a bind
    and possibly drown?



    Tom Henderson <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    If you drown, you won't need a flotation device. You'll be
    dead. The real answer is, don't swim alone unsupervised.
    At IM Utah a fit swimmer died WHILE WEARING A WETSUIT.
    There isn't much better flotation than that. Swim where
    lifeguards can see you, and tell them what you'll be doing
    before you get in the water.

    Quoted message said:

    Likely as not I'd want to carry it on the bike as well,
    per (I) above.

    I have to agree with Tom's advice and add a couple of
    things. Don't swim without a guard around.

    When training in open water, always stay closer to the shore
    than you need to. Instead of crossing the water or swimming
    out and back, consider swimming the perimeter of the lake.
    When you breathe, you'll want to "sight" yourself and make
    sure you are still about an equal distance from the shore.

    Make sure you pay attention to your core temperature and
    hydration level as well. You will get colder before you
    recognize it and more dehydrated than you know. Always stop
    while still feeling good.

    Really open water is not the place to develop your swimming
    skills. Reroute past a pool and pay $5.00 - your life (and
    the presence of guards nearby) is worth it.

    If you feel fairly comfortable swimming, you might consider
    a kayak jacket to keep yourself a float. They are not bad to
    swim in (but make sure you wear it correctly).

    But never swim alone without a guard or a friend around.

    ~becca

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Thanks, Justin Seven

  5. As Clemenza said in The Godfather, "Leave the gun, take
    the cannoli."

    "Michael Emerald" <[email hidden]> wrote
    in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi folks.

    I. If I'm doing a 40 mile non-competitive, relaxed bike
    ride and want to stop en route for a swim, what should
    I best pack for clothing, etc. I usually carry a mesh
    lightweight backpack to throw an extra jacket in, etc.
    Weighs very little. But I don't know what the best
    attire is. I use ordinary shorts to ride, with padded
    skins underneath, so if I should be wearing swim
    trunks, that might work. What would you suggest?

    II. For a novice swimmer, me, good for 1/2 mile, if I go
    swimming across lakes, what should I carry as a
    flotation device, if any, in case I get into a bind
    and possibly drown? Likely as not I'd want to carry it
    on the bike as well, per (I) above.

    Thanks, Justin Seven

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.