what size frame for 5'9" height?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jeff, Mar 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff

Jeff Guest

i have a 21" Giant Cypress and although there is perhaps less than one inch crotch clearance by the
    top tube, the bike is comfortable for me to ride. I've been told that 18" or 19" would be more
    appropriate by owners of local bike shops. And yet other knowledgeable cyclists are saying that 21"
    is just about right for my height. In the simplist of terms, how does one determine the right frame
    size? Also, is there a different perspective for determining frame size for touring and mountain
    type bikes? Thanks.

for personal replies, email to jeffp at "en why see" dot "ar ar" dot com

Tags:

2. Ken

Ken Guest

jeff <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > In the simplist of terms, how does one determine the right frame size? Also, is there a different
    > perspective for determining frame size for touring and mountain type bikes?

Mountain bikes generally need more crotch clearance so you can more easily maneuver on rough
    terrain. You also need to consider top tube length.

3. Raymo853

Raymo853 Guest

Depending on your other body demensions, and the way the bike is measured, you could ride anything
    between a 14" and a 19" MTB or a 52 to 56 CM road bike or a 48 to a 54 cm cross bike. I am 5'9" as
    is a good friend and the ranges are the size bike we have.

"Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > jeff <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > > In the simplist of terms, how does one determine the right frame size? Also, is
    there a
    > > different perspective for determining frame size for touring and mountain type bikes?
    >
    > Mountain bikes generally need more crotch clearance so you can more
    easily
    > maneuver on rough terrain. You also need to consider top tube
    length.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.