What size thread...?

Call me Bob

Guest
I'm trying to bump up the value of an order from an online fixings
type place and want to get some spare fasteners for my bikes..

The cap bolts which are used in the threads for my water bottle
holders, mudguard and rack mounting points are all the same size.. but
what is it? M4, M5? Looks about 5mm but wanted to ask... can anyone
tell me for sure, I don't want to order the wrong bits.

Thanks if you can help.
--

"Bob"

'The people have spoken, the bastards'

Email address is spam trapped.
To reply directly remove the beverage.

Call me Bob wrote:

> The cap bolts which are used in the threads for my water bottle
> holders, mudguard and rack mounting points are all the same size..

but
> what is it? M4, M5? Looks about 5mm but wanted to ask... can anyone
> tell me for sure, I don't want to order the wrong bits.

I'm very certain that mudguard braze-ons, rack braze-ons and
waterbottle bosses are all M5 thread. If you haven't used the
braze-ons before, it's a good idea to run an M5 bottoming tap through
them first to clean out any paint from the threads.

Becky

Arellcat wrote:

> Call me Bob wrote:
>
>> The cap bolts which are used in the threads for my water bottle
>> holders, mudguard and rack mounting points are all the same size..

> but
>> what is it? M4, M5? Looks about 5mm but wanted to ask... can anyone
>> tell me for sure, I don't want to order the wrong bits.

> I'm very certain that mudguard braze-ons, rack braze-ons and
> waterbottle bosses are all M5 thread. If you haven't used the
> braze-ons before, it's a good idea to run an M5 bottoming tap through
> them first to clean out any paint from the threads.

They are indeed M5. A 12mm length bolt would be fine for a bottle cage, 16mm
gives a bit more to allow putting a pump holder on the same bosses.

Get stainless ones if you can, they save a lot of grief when you finally get
round to replacing bits.

...d

--
This is my signature

David Martin <[email protected]>typed

> They are indeed M5. A 12mm length bolt would be fine for a bottle cage, 16mm
> gives a bit more to allow putting a pump holder on the same bosses.

> Get stainless ones if you can, they save a lot of grief when you finally get
> round to replacing bits.

They are M5.

Get a variety of lengths for things like bottle cages, pannier racks and
othe accessories. Keep spares in every empty boss on your bike so you
always have them when the need arises.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 23:31:07 +0100, David Martin
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> I'm very certain that mudguard braze-ons, rack braze-ons and
>> waterbottle bosses are all M5 thread. If you haven't used the
>> braze-ons before, it's a good idea to run an M5 bottoming tap through
>> them first to clean out any paint from the threads.

>They are indeed M5. A 12mm length bolt would be fine for a bottle cage, 16mm
>gives a bit more to allow putting a pump holder on the same bosses.
>
>Get stainless ones if you can, they save a lot of grief when you finally get
>round to replacing bits.

Right, M5 stainless, thank you both.
--

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:14:04 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> They are M5.
>
> Get a variety of lengths for things like bottle cages, pannier racks and
> othe accessories. Keep spares in every empty boss on your bike so you
> always have them when the need arises.

What a good idea!

Does anyone know of a decent place, online or a chain of stores,
to buy a big pack of these bolts with hex heads?
Just had the idea of buying in bulk and splitting up amongst several
people.

ScumOfTheRoad wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:14:04 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
>

> > They are M5.
> >
> > Get a variety of lengths for things like bottle cages, pannier

racks and
> > othe accessories. Keep spares in every empty boss on your bike so

you
> > always have them when the need arises.

> What a good idea!
>
> Does anyone know of a decent place, online or a chain of stores,
> to buy a big pack of these bolts with hex heads?
> Just had the idea of buying in bulk and splitting up amongst several
> people.

I am considering replacing the mudguard/rack bolts on my tourer for
allen key ones.

"ScumOfTheRoad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:14:04 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
>

>> They are M5.
>>
>> Get a variety of lengths for things like bottle cages, pannier racks and
>> othe accessories. Keep spares in every empty boss on your bike so you
>> always have them when the need arises.

> What a good idea!
>
> Does anyone know of a decent place, online or a chain of stores,
> to buy a big pack of these bolts with hex heads?
> Just had the idea of buying in bulk and splitting up amongst several
> people.

Find a yacht chandlers, they keep large quantities of these in very high
quality stainless, designed to resist the ravages of salt water.

Gordon

--
Subtract 1 from 11 to reply

"ScumOfTheRoad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:14:04 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
>

>> They are M5.
>>
>> Get a variety of lengths for things like bottle cages, pannier racks and
>> othe accessories. Keep spares in every empty boss on your bike so you
>> always have them when the need arises.

> What a good idea!
>
> Does anyone know of a decent place, online or a chain of stores,
> to buy a big pack of these bolts with hex heads?
> Just had the idea of buying in bulk and splitting up amongst several
> people.

Alternatively, try http://www.bsr-aerotek.com/stainless.htm. Also worth
looking at these http://www.bsr-aerotek.com/buttons.htm neat little buttons
to plug in to the allan head, makes a nice finish to match the bike. If you
want to go for the ultimate, try tapered head titanium bolts from
www.tastynuts.com, very pricey but they do look the business. Unfortunately,
they are sold by the folks who cater for those maniacs who ride powered
two-wheelers past my house at speeds that beggar belief............which is
why I get my bolts from yacht chandlers.

Gordon
--
Subtract 1 from 11 to reply

ScumOfTheRoad wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:14:04 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
>

>>They are M5.
>>
>>Get a variety of lengths for things like bottle cages, pannier racks and
>>othe accessories. Keep spares in every empty boss on your bike so you
>>always have them when the need arises.

> What a good idea!
>
> Does anyone know of a decent place, online or a chain of stores,
> to buy a big pack of these bolts with hex heads?
> Just had the idea of buying in bulk and splitting up amongst several
> people.

www.screwfix.com

Socket Head Cap Screws DIN 912 A2 M5x20 £2.27 for 50. £4.41 for 100.
Next day from stock.

R.

They are M5, but you also need to specify the thread spacing which is 0.8mm.

I always fit shallower 'dome' headed bolts when I fix bottle cages as I find
the taller heads scrape and damage water bottles.
SJS cycles have a good range of stainless steel bolts but the postage costs
are high.

good luck
Rudge

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:23:08 GMT, The Oldfellow <[email protected]>
wrote:

> ScumOfTheRoad wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a decent place, online or a chain of stores,
>> to buy a big pack of these bolts with hex heads?
>> Just had the idea of buying in bulk and splitting up amongst several
>> people.
>>

> www.screwfix.com
>
> Socket Head Cap Screws DIN 912 A2 M5x20 £2.27 for 50. £4.41 for 100.
> Next day from stock.

Only if the site is up that day! At the moment the screwfix site is live
while they can honour next day deliveries. Once they can't they close the
online ordering system. Something to do with a move to new premises. I
managed to order some stuff this morning so it is up at the moment.(It was
down yesterday.)

Colin

Call me Bob wrote:

> I'm trying to bump up the value of an order from an online fixings
> type place and want to get some spare fasteners for my bikes..
>
> The cap bolts which are used in the threads for my water bottle
> holders, mudguard and rack mounting points are all the same size.. but
> what is it? M4, M5? Looks about 5mm but wanted to ask... can anyone
> tell me for sure, I don't want to order the wrong bits.

Standard M5 with an 0.8mm pitch. There is an "M5 fine" with a 0.5mm
pitch, but it's very rare.

Confusingly, they nearly always take a 4mm allen key.

Rudge wrote:

> SJS cycles have a good range of stainless steel bolts but the postage
> costs are high.

So are the prices!

On 27 Oct 2004 06:22:56 GMT, Brian <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Where are you ordering the stuff from?

Well, my initial order for some other bits and pieces is coming from

http://www.toolstation.com

But I see now that they don't stock stainless fastenings down to M5,
they stop at M6, and don't have cap bolts at all, so that's that
knackered.

It's a shame as they are doing free delivery on even small value
orders up until christmas.
--

Colin Blackburn wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:23:08 GMT, The Oldfellow
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> ScumOfTheRoad wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know of a decent place, online or a chain of stores,
>>> to buy a big pack of these bolts with hex heads?
>>> Just had the idea of buying in bulk and splitting up amongst several
>>> people.
>>>

>> www.screwfix.com
>>
>> Socket Head Cap Screws DIN 912 A2 M5x20 £2.27 for 50. £4.41 for 100.
>> Next day from stock.

> Only if the site is up that day! At the moment the screwfix site is
> live while they can honour next day deliveries. Once they can't they
> close the online ordering system. Something to do with a move to new
> premises. I managed to order some stuff this morning so it is up at the
> moment.(It was down yesterday.)
>
> Colin

Yes, I heard that. I have had nothing but good service from them
though, and I'm a (amateur) Cabinet Maker. I guess I prefer a company
that doesn't make promises it can't fulfill, to those whose websites
accept orders and then don't ship for weeks.

R.

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:56:10 +0000, Call me Bob wrote:

> On 27 Oct 2004 06:22:56 GMT, Brian <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>Where are you ordering the stuff from?

> Well, my initial order for some other bits and pieces is coming from
>
> http://www.toolstation.com
>
> But I see now that they don't stock stainless fastenings down to M5,
> they stop at M6, and don't have cap bolts at all, so that's that
> knackered.
>
> It's a shame as they are doing free delivery on even small value
> orders up until christmas.

Screwfix.com seem to have M5 allen head cap bolts, £1.60 for 50 pack.

However I got my bits from a local engineering supplies (Engineering
Agencies LTD, Dunfermline) - do you have a similar type of shop locally?
I'm sure they would order the bits in for you (I ordered the stuff on the
friday, was in for collection the following monday)

--
Brian