What size tire are you riding?

maxo

Aug 13, 2004
I got a great deal on some 700x20's (Michelin Hi-Lite Prestige $10.00 each) and thought I give them a try... have'nt noticed much of a difference, I hear pinch flats might be an issue. What are your thoughts?

I've been using the exact same tire, same size for 2 years, also because I got a good deal. Like you I haven't noticed any difference from the 23s. And no pinch flats running around 100 psi rear, 90psi front.

I'm stuck in the 80s, and one of the "side effects" is that I still use 20s.
I've read all the science, and I've tried 23s a billion times, but I don't care, I prefer the feel of 20s pumped up to 150psi.....ooh baby :p

I'd say that the rate of pinch flats is slightly increased, but you've just gotta be careful not to fly across train tracks and potholes at 50kmh. So, I suppose it depends on what your roads are like.

Having crapped on about all that, if I were racing criteriums I'd like bigger tyres for safer cornering, but I like very high pressures, so I'd probably get tubulars (we call 'em 'singles'). :)

I ride on some fairly bad roads and therefore use 700X25's pumped to 130 psi. With these I can usually get a couple thousand miles between flats. I used to use Conti 3000's but get better wear and cheaper results in Bontrager Race Lites with steel bead.

700 x 23, Michelin Pro-Race.

My bike in the 90's used to have some offensively thin tyres on it, which offered all the comfort of a kick in the knackers, but so much has moved on since then it would be unfair to compare with today's 20mm!

jabike said:
I ride on some fairly bad roads and therefore use 700X25's pumped to 130 psi.
130 psi is nuts unless you are a clyde and have to do it to avoid pinch flats.

For winter training i'm using 700 x 23 mm Vittoria Rubino Pro's inflated to 120 psi.
As for 20 mm tyres being more puncture prone well i think it's all a load of old bananas. I used 20 mm Veloflex Corsa's pumped up to 135 psi from April to November of this year and only had one puncture despite riding on some of the worst roads imaginable. Though i have to say 23 mm's do feel a tad more comfortable.

Currently riding on a pair of 26 x 1.95 Kenda Kross tires as that is what I have mounted on the bike that is in my trainer. Too cold and too much snow outside for this old boy. :eek:

When Spring rolls around I'll be riding on 700 x 23, 700 x 25, 700 x 32, 27 x 1.25 or 26 x 1.95 depending on which set of wheels and which bike I ride. It'll just depend on my mood.

How accurate is the tyre diameter stamped on the tyre? I ride Vittoria Tecno Sport TT 700 x 28 and the actual measured diameter is closer to 25 than 28. Next set of tyres will be 700 x 25. The lousy roads around here need more cushioning than a 23 gives.

I was recently running a set of 700x23 continetal grand prix 3000's but my 180 mile a week were eating them every two mounths so I switched over to some cheap ass 700X28's ;)

23 mm Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX this summer and currently Vittoria Open Pave CG which, I think, are 24mm.

Bought off ebay with tubes at a bargain price!!

I voted 700x23 because I use 700x23 for all training. For racing this year, I am going to try out the Continental Attack/Force combo which has a 700x23 rear and 700x22 front. On my TT/Triathlon ride, I use 700x20's (On Zipps for racing, but I still train on the TT bike with 23's).

maxo said:
I got a great deal on some 700x20's (Michelin Hi-Lite Prestige $10.00 each) and thought I give them a try... have'nt noticed much of a difference, I hear pinch flats might be an issue. What are your thoughts?
Where did you get them, and do they have any more? I've been riding on a set of those for about 2000 miles, and the rear one is up for replacement. I run about 110 psi, and haven't had a single pinch or puncture. Aside from slowing down quite a bit on rough pavement, they're pretty good.

I'm leaving on a cross Canada tour next Wednesday and I ride with 700 X 28. It's a little bit more tire then normal for the extra weight I'll be carrying with me.

-ben

Vred Campo 28c for winter, Fortezza or Tri-Comp 25c for everything else.

Just put the Conti Vapor 2.3 on the MTB

Very sweet traction, recommended over the Verticals that they have replaced...

Cheers