What sort of bike should I get?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by enzed, Apr 11, 2005.

1. enzed

enzed New Member

I'm after a little advice.
    For a few months I'm been riding a 2nd hand mountain bike(at least ten years old, no suspension). I've decided to take part in the Cycle Queensland tour in September and would like a faster bike.
    I like the flat bar and range of gears of a mountain bike, but I don't need the knobbly tyres. I don't have that much money lying around and am prepared to spend up to $ 600. I know it's not alot of money, but for now that's all I can manage. Does anyone have any ideas.

Tags:

2. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

3. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

The fact that your bike has no suspension is good, as it is faster than a MTB with suspension that can't be locked out. Suspension is only of use off the tarmac (and off good-quality gravel roads, for that matter).
    Simply fit it with lower profile, high pressure slicks and you're good to go. Definitely do this before deciding that you need a new bike.
    If it doesn't fit you or has multiple parts that are badly worn, then you may need to move on, but bikes can go 1000's of km with pitted BB and front hub bearings, for example.
    For $600 you'd have to get a fantastic 2nd hand buy on e-bay before noticing much improvement.

4. enzed

enzed New Member

In reply to the last message. I don't think it's worth upgrading my current bike. A slighter larger frame is a consideration, and so would the addition of toe clips and a comfy saddle. That said, my Scott (Trek) has served me well (and cost me practically nothing).
    And I might have a look at the Felt Web page, for all the specs.
    Thanks

5. tzama

tzama New Member

If your not willing to spend at least $1000k on a new bike, then keep an eye on ebay or the trading post... its an emazing place to buy someones unwanted junk !!!