What speed should I be aiming for?

lance_for_8th

Sep 6, 2005
I was wondering how fast I should be aiming to race at if I intend to race professionally. I heard that the club standard are about 18mph?
I presume the top pros go faster...? How fast do they go?
I am 18 and have a touring background, so have just got into racing.

Thanks

qpwoei

www.LANCE.co.nr

SIGN THE PETITION NOW!

I have read a good recreational rider can go 20mph for twenty minutes on flat and LA can do 34mph. See if you are in this range.

lance_for_8th said:
I was wondering how fast I should be aiming to race at if I intend to race professionally. I heard that the club standard are about 18mph?

Thanks

qpwoei

www.LANCE.co.nr

SIGN THE PETITION NOW!

lance_for_8th said:
You're asking the wrong question. Racing, with the exception of time trials, is not a steady-speed effort. Many races, both pro and amateur, will average around 25mph, but they do that by spending time at 20mph, and time at 35mph. Field sprinters will hit around 40mph in the final sprint. If you are interested in racing, simply race. If you find yourself advancing rapidly through the USCF categories (I'm assuming you're in the U.S.?), when you become a cat1 you can think about pro opportunities. Regardless of country, the miniscule percentage of racers with professional possibilities knows it, because they're winning a lot of races.