What speed "should" i be riding at?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by holysmoke, May 21, 2004.

1. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I'm with you on this.

99.9% of the statistics that various posters put on these threads
    are fabricated. They are liars !
    Inflated numbers posted by people who imagine that they cycle
    at certain velocities.

A good average cycling speed is anywhere between 14mph-
    18mph over a consistent course.
    Anyone claiming to be consistently cycling at higher than 18mph
    throughout this entire site needs to be taken with a very large pinch of salt.
    If you can cosnsitently hold this velocity over a distance of more than miles, you're starting to do good work.

I will qualify that by saying time trial speeds will hit between
    20-30mph.
    But for leisure/road cycling 14-18mph is a good speed.

The usual suspects also inflate their milage/distance claims.
    A good cycling distance - where your body is actually getting real benefit is usually from 10miles, plus.
    From 10 miles onwards, your body is really starting to work.

2. belfast-biker

belfast-biker New Member

Good.... I average 14.5mph over a local undulating 12mile circuit... knackers me!

3. Ratty

Ratty New Member

and the question is, what was your average HR?

4. belfast-biker

belfast-biker New Member

Depends on who knows what, but varies between 154 to 164bpm average. Certainly feels high anyhow for a 16-odd stone short hulk who's stomach gets in the way of cycling. ;)

5. frenk

frenk New Member

I've similar hr averages.
    I'm 22 years old, I ride 500-1000 km per month, depending on the weather/school etc., I usually ride solo, about never in groups of more than two.
    In a 50 kms of up/downs, keeping an high pace (for me) I average about 165 bpm. I think I cannot keep a similar average for more than 80 kms without suffering a lot.
    On long distances I always try to stay between 150-160 bpm, this gives me a good autonomy, and the average stays usually below 150.
    This is for hr.

For speed, here's what I can read in my log:
    - typical up/down 50km ride: max 29 km/h (may -> good shape, good temperature, high pace, low "life quality") min 24 km/h (winter or many big mountains)
    - typical 150km ride, involving hills (i really like hills, and here in Switzerland there are no problems finding them): max 27 km/h (good shape, regular pace) min 20 km/h (winter).
    another ride I frequently do is a long uphill (25km) and the downhill that follows isn't a fast one. Keeping a good pace I can't average much more than 20km/h.
    I dislike flats and I do all my efforts to avoid them, but I think I could do some 30km/h in 80kms.

These are my averages. I don't think they are too high, but also not too low.
    As many others said, it really depens on too many parameters, so making comparisons is not so useful.
    Also notice that riding in group it's easy to do better, especially on flats or rolling hills.

6. Ratty

Ratty New Member

Ok, how old are you?

7. belfast-biker

belfast-biker New Member

Twenty Fourteen.

;)

8. Ratty

Ratty New Member

okay, if you're the average twenty fourteen male, and I am in no way calling you average, your Max HR should (apparently) be in the region of about 186. If you are moderately fit-tish your resting HR will be somewhere between 58 - 70. Lets use 62.

Your average of 162 bpm would, using the above parameters be in the region of 80% of your maximum HR, which means that you are potentially working too hard to build a solid base on which to build your more intense work-outs at a later stage.

Use it, don't use it. :D

9. belfast-biker

belfast-biker New Member

Cheers!

I'm average, or even below average, believe me!

75lbs overweight I reckon... lotta muscle though, people normally think I'm 13-14 stone, instead of 16+ 5ft6in shortarse. Think the dwarf from Lord of the Rings... :)

My HR as tested by yours truly is exactly 200. That was a mad day - haven't wanted to test it any further than that, probably not a great idea to do max HR testing while I'm hauling around aa bag of coal or so in extra weight... ;)

My resting HR varies (with training or overtraining I guess) between 56 and 62. When I'm putting my mind to it, weight comes off at almost exactly 1lb a week. Not great, but hey, it went on slowly...

Cheers for the background info.

10. mmamster

mmamster New Member

25 mph average has to be exaggerating. FYI - I have been riding for about 6 months now, building up to an average of about 27 km/h (just under 17 mph). I track that through the bike computer. The course is anywhere between 45 km and 100 km over mainly flat with some steep but short hills. Also is an out and back course so always get a head wind one way or the other, except on still days.

I see a lot of riders in packs of 8 or more who would average up to 22-4 mph, but not solo riders.

11. Columbia

Columbia New Member

I've been riding for a year now, slowly building myself up.
    I have to say that a lot of the stuff here regarding average speed is BS.

Even I (an under 16 rider, and by no means a formidable racer) can do 21-23 on my own on a rolling course with some wind on a standard road bike for 1-2 hours. I know that a lot of my team-mates (out of curiosity, has anyone heard of Paul Griffin?) can do 24+ on their own for quite some time. I know this because I was hanging on desperately to Griffins rear wheel for most of the 2 hour ride :p . I also know that he broke 2:00 for a 50 mile TT (althought it was actually 51.5) on a rolling course and he came fourth! Although that was on a time trial bike I think his average (25.95 MPH) was extraordinary that day.

I know going over 20 seems like a lot but once you do the right training and have a good, WELL SET UP, bike it is something that is achievable for most.

12. Goldfishboy

Goldfishboy New Member

Absolutely, out of the 138 finishers in the National 25 TT 120 of them finished inside the hour. Which must mean they averaged over 25MPH. The winner (Hutchinson) came home in 48m44s which by my very basic calcs is an everage of just over 30MPH. So these speeds are not unattainable.

I'm sure there are hundreds of amateur Roadies who are not interested in TT's who could acheive the same without too much difficulty. (I mean an average of 25MPH not the winning time which is obviously an extraordinary achievment).

As to whether the people posting in this forum are telling the truth or not, we'll never know unless we all go out riding together.

But lets face it, if they are lying- the only people they're really kidding.......are themselves ( and they'll get found out eventually).

When I first started racing mountain bikes I rode Novice cat. to gain experience. I met a friend of a friend who told me how good he was, and how he was better than so & so and faster at this and that etc. He turned up to a race and lasted one lap of getting his arse kicked before he went home with his metaphorical tail between his legs. After which I thought he was a right loser.

Happy cycling,

Goldfishboy......

13. frenk

frenk New Member

I agree with you. But 25MPH on 25 miles is really your goal? Maybe yes.
    If I really should care about averages I would consider "real" distances, a little longer than that.
    But this is just my opinion.

Francesco

14. Goldfishboy

Goldfishboy New Member

15. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Columbia,
    I know Paul Griffin.
    And this is the problem.
    For everyone out there - Paul Griffin is a an excellent national level rider here in Ireland.
    To use him as a template for what speed people should be riding at is unrepresentative (he is at an excellent standard).

You've got to remember that this Forum has people at all levels of ability.
    For ITT 20-25mph is probably standard.
    But thry cycling 25 miles per hour in Shay Elliot or Gorey Three
    Day or Wicklow 200.
    You'd never achieve that speed.
    Time trialling perhaps.
    Stage racing - no.

16. Columbia

Columbia New Member

Yes, Limerickman, thats a very valid point you make.

I was just responding to a previous poster who seemed to think it was somewhat impossible for a lone rider to average 24+ MPH.

Did you know he weighs 55 kg! His BMI is 17.9! Although the general concencus down here in Kerry is that he isn't as strong now as he was when he was heavier (although he is certainly still much more powerful than I am).

I'll be out with Paul tomorrow, I think I'll challenge him to go 25 on his own in Shay Elliot next year to prove a point :D .

17. tacomee

tacomee New Member

As a 21 yr old kid, I used to ride 45 totally flat miles in 2 hours and less than 10 minutes. I never really formally trained to do this, I just loved to ride and the next town was 45 miles down the road. After a beer at the local tavern I had an 3+ hour ride home.

At 35 I tried to do the same run in 2 hours and pulled up at 2 hours 50 min. I did great during the first hour, going 21 miles and crapped out at mile marker 30.

At 39 I'd love to do another sub 7 hour century, but I've got a real life and don't plan on training enough to get that done.

18. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I wasn't deliberately having a go at you - I was just pointing out that PaulGriifin is an excellent cyclist.
    He comes from a family of cyclists and marathon runners and his level of fitness is phenomenal !
    55kgs ! Does he weigh that much ???

It's not impossibel to go at the speeds that you mentioned - it is just that those speeds are easy for the gifted ones like Paul.

Enjoy the training seesions - you're with a good one there, my
    friend (learn all you can from him !)

19. Trek1000

Trek1000 New Member

20. Trek1000

Trek1000 New Member

yeah..they are trying to lie and compensate for their small penis. bullcrap they are not averaging 23-25 mph